PDA

View Full Version : send flowers

skate
11-26-2006, 12:15 AM
to the New York Times.

The New York Times asked the Supreme Court yesterday to bar a federal prosecutor from reviewing the phone records of two of its reporters. The records would allow the government to learn the identities of the reporters’ confidential sources.

The case, from a Chicago grand jury’s investigation, into "who told the two reporters", Judith Miller and Philip Shenon, about actions the government was planning to take in '01 against two Islamic charities. The United States attorney , sought the reporters records directly from their phone companies, and The Times filed suit to stop him.

In August, a divided three-judge panel of the federal appeals court in Manhattan ruled in favor of Mr. Fitzgerald, saying the reporters were not entitled to shield their sources.

"The needs of law enforcement", the majority said, "outweighed any protections the reporters might have in the First Amendment or other areas of law."

IMO,this says, law enforcement (being Uncle George), outways "ANY" protections from the first Amendment or other laws. and if george doesn't hurry, these Media faux pas will be out of business before he leaves office.

luv_america
11-26-2006, 12:45 AM
Besides the fact that I wouldn't let my cat piss on the NY Times, they consistently give up US security secrets and criticize the Bush Admin for not telling us everything, but of course they have to stonewal an investigation into their methods.

Tom
11-26-2006, 01:25 AM
What really gets me is all these "leaks" to the press and how many prosecutions?
Oviously, a person working in sensitive areas who leaks info is a traitor and deserves to be jailed at leas,t executed at worst. Why do we neve persue obviuous traitors and stop this nonsense?
Does America have any balls at all? Area we totally afraid to enforce ANY laws, or only ones that affect you and me?
Have we become a monarcy, or a joke?
For a great country, we sure as hell don't do very many great things.:ThmbDown::ThmbDown::ThmbDown:
Our founding fathers would puke if they saw what we did to their country. And then probably ATTACK us to take it back. Sounds like a plan to me.

kenwoodallpromos
11-26-2006, 02:05 AM
a"free press" was never meant to allow the press to freely aid and abet crime, but rather to expose crime and corruption.
Regardless of whether it is George W. Bush, Judith Miller, the illegal Bonds biographers, or Blitzer, no one should be above the law, whether they think they are or not.

skate
11-26-2006, 03:01 PM
i like that, you put the problem out where we can see it, and then you give a solution.
it does seem tough on those people when you can conclude "that way" and then go about living with others who only try to create a problem from nothing.

maybe your help is on the way, maybe not?

got a guy from UK (28% owners, in NYT) seems likehe is not happy with Saltsburger?? who is only a 4% owner, but Saltzey is most likely the One person who is quoted on concerns with the NYT.

this would be a case whereby we can benefit from foreign investers.