PDA

View Full Version : Top Flight

Valuist
11-25-2006, 10:40 AM
I'd love to say I hammered Malibu Mint. Fact of the matter is, I didn't bet the race or even handicap any of the Aqu races on Friday. I happened to catch the replay show and was shocked.

http://www.equibase.com/premium/eqbPDFChart.cfm?TID=AQU&CTRY=USA&DAY=D&DT=11/24/2006&STYLE=EQB&RACE=8&BorP=B

With the Escapade filly retired, wasnt it just accepted that Malibu Mint is the top filly/mare sprinter in the country? The chart of this race is shocking. What on earth is a Mo Cousile (sp?). How could this horse be even money? Was this a Euro ship in? Or some horse that beat up on weak condition fields with huge figs? Also shocking was the fact Cardmandia was the second choice.

Granted, Malibu Mint needed help to win, and probably shouldnt have. Didn't she run a 110 Beyer earlier in the year and come off a graded stakes win at Kee? Maybe somebody who bet the race can enlighten me on why the prices were what they were.

Overlay
11-25-2006, 11:16 AM
What on earth is a Mo Cousile (sp?).

I can't comment on the handicapping aspects of the race, but I believe Mo Cuishle's name came from a Gaelic phrase (which is actually spelled "mo chuisle") that Clint Eastwood's character (a boxing coach) supposedly borrowed from the poet William Butler Yeats as a term of endearment for Hilary Swank's character in the movie Million-Dollar Baby. It literally means "my pulse", but in a broader sense is taken to mean "my darling" or "my love". (However, Yeats did not actually use the phrase.)

OTM Al
11-25-2006, 11:16 AM
Mo Cousile was the total wiseguy horse in this race. Was at the track yesterday and did not use this one at all. It was a Pletcher horse that was 3-3 lifetime that had run a good Beyer in its last out winning a 1 1/16 m G3. However......being that that big run was a huge jump up and that it was a 2-turn, not 1-turn race, and that everybody in the world seemed to be touting a G3 winner over a G1 winner made me get completely off her. Not on top, not underneath. Would like to say I hit that one, and I did have that nice 10-1 shot that finished 3rd under Malibu Mint several times in my exacta, but yesterday was one of those just-miss days after a nice play in the first.

Valuist
11-25-2006, 11:28 AM
Good job. The crowd really messed that one up. Pletcher would probably be 5-2 if he ran a tortoise. I still can't figure out how Cardmandia was 2nd choice either.

Murph
11-25-2006, 11:46 AM
Good job. The crowd really messed that one up. Pletcher would probably be 5-2 if he ran a tortoise. I still can't figure out how Cardmandia was 2nd choice either.Take a look at the http://www.thorostats.com selection sheet for this race. #9 was the top rated power selection but I would not play it like that after looking at the speed figures.

Thomas Bush didn't make a secret of shooting for the win with #8 Rahy's Appeal. He put his hot jock up and he has an excellent record for the owner, Gallaghers Stud. His speed figure 3 races back show him as a contender in this field.

Murph

classhandicapper
11-25-2006, 12:12 PM
I believe the new rule is that they don't have to take a horse down if the jockey hits another horse with the whip unless it impacts the result. By that standard, IMO, this was a horrible DQ because there was no way MM was going to win.

Ron
11-25-2006, 01:18 PM
I believe the new rule is that they don't have to take a horse down if the jockey hits another horse with the whip unless it impacts the result. By that standard, IMO, this was a horrible DQ because there was no way MM was going to win.

I think the new rule is that they don't have to DQ the horse completely, but what do I know.

BetHorses!
11-26-2006, 10:27 AM
Also shocking was the fact Cardmandia was the second choice.

Wasn't shocking to me cause my top 3 rankings were:

Malibu Mint

Carmandia

Mo Cuishle

Got put up which helped me nail the Late DD :)