PDA

View Full Version : Brinda Robbins Injured

Murph
11-24-2006, 06:26 AM
Brinda Robbins, winner of the November 11 Female Jockey Challenge at Hoosier Park, was injured when her quarter horse mount, Drive Thru Filly, collapsed immedieately following the running of the twelveth race.

Apparently the horse failed to breathe during the running, fell and rolled onto her just past the wire. She was checked over on track and went home after the incident but had to go to the hospital shortly afterwards. She suffered severe internal bleeding that resulted in the loss of a kidney.

Brinda recorded her first winning ride in 2005. She was a popular rider at both Indiana tracks. She has two children ages 5 and 11.

I was only aware of the incident after local reporter, Rick Teverbaugh noted in this story published Thanksgiving day.
http://www.theheraldbulletin.com/siteSearch/apstorysection/local_story_326232812.html

Hoosier Park published this article on November 18.
http://www.hoosierpark.com/news/racing_news/racing_news_11182006.html

No mention in the DRF of this incident and the odd circumstances of her treatment have caused this story to have limited exposure so I wanted to post it here.

Brinda was a decent rider and a very nice person, smart too. She made Anderson, IN her home and we will miss seeing her on the track. If anyone would like to make a donation to her recovery fund, contact Hoosier Park and ask to speak with Tammy Knox.
Address
4500 Dan Patch Circle
Anderson, Indiana 46013

Contact information
Switchboard: 1.800.526.RACE or 765.642.RACE
General office fax: 765.644.0467
E-mail: info@hoosierpark.com

Murph

kenwoodallpromos
11-24-2006, 12:11 PM
Also brings to mind the point that jockeying danger does not start at the gate or end at the wire.
I hope the Jockey Guild take my suggestion that jockeys donate 10% of their fees for graded stakes winners to a catastrophic fund. That would have been $4.87 million last year. Then they could challenge the industry or owners to match it!