PDA

View Full Version : The Green Monkey turned out

karlskorner
11-23-2006, 09:04 AM
OZONE PARK,N.Y. The Green Monkey, who sold for a world-record $16 million at the Fasig-Tipton 2 year-old in training earler this year, has been sent to his owner's farm in Kentucky and won't make it to the races until next year.

Trainer Todd Pletcher said The Green Monkey re-aggravated a glutteal muscle that he originally injured during the summer at Saratoga. That injury kept The Green Monkey off the worktab for two months. He resumed breezing on Oct. 3 and recorded four workouts including a pedestrian five furlong move in 1.05.36 over Belmont Park's training track. Following that breeze the decision was made to give the some colt some time.

"We sor of ran out of time to race at Aqueduct so we're going to point for a Florida campaign" Pletcher said Wednesday "We'll give him a little bit of time off"

Pletcher said The Green Monkey ws sent to Ashford Stud in Versailles. KY. Ashford is the North American division of Coolmore Stud, which owns the colt. John Magnier heads Coolmore.

The Green Monkey, a son of Forestry breezed a furlong in 9.80 seconds prior to the sale, and created a huge buzz at the sale when he was the subject of a bidding war between Sheikh Mohammed and Coolmore.

shanta
11-23-2006, 09:19 AM
Isn't that a kick in the ass.
Rich

Valuist
11-23-2006, 09:28 AM
Two years from now Blood Horse will have an article that will have the same title as this thread. The only difference will be the Blood Horse article will add the word "bad" to its headline.

LaughAndBeMerry
11-23-2006, 09:33 AM
I understand from people that have watched him work that he has only marginal ability on dirt. If he's going to amount to anything, it will be on grass.

The Godolphin team is probably LTAO. A make-good for Snaafi Dancer.

NY BRED
11-23-2006, 10:00 AM
possible scenario: gm goes to the breeding shed

produces 30 babies or so @ 500k apiece over the next few years

and maybe oil finally drops in price:bang:

Bruddah
11-23-2006, 10:30 AM
the 'stupid' bid escalating for these well bred, untried, young horses, nothing will. Simply a case of two large egos, with open checkbooks, in a bidding war. I for one think it's great, they were burned. My personal preference is to have all of the mega wealthy stables have a purchase like this one. Personally, I think the mega wealthy will eventually price themselves and all others, out of the business. :D :lol: :D

kenwoodallpromos
11-23-2006, 12:49 PM
"North American Dirt Records
Distance Horse Age Weight Track Date Time
2F Onion Roll 7 111 Thistledown 09/27/1993 20.80
Nervous Moment 2 120 Sportsman's Park 06/08/1998 20.80
Minty Flavors 2 118 Hawthorne 05/14/1999 20.80
Life is a Whirl 4 122 Calder 07/15/2000 20.80:
______________________-
So he ran faster than this or the Los Alamitos 220 yd record, and then he comes up with a chronic sore muscle? Why am I not surprised?

46zilzal
11-23-2006, 12:55 PM
sounds a lot like the oft touted Ogygian

cj
11-23-2006, 01:14 PM
sounds a lot like the oft touted Ogygian

At least Ogygian could run very fast though when healthy, even if it wasn't very often.

the little guy
11-23-2006, 01:19 PM
Ogygian's races as a 2YO were scary good. He was unsound but when right he was a freakish running machine.

classhandicapper
11-24-2006, 10:21 AM
the 'stupid' bid escalating for these well bred, untried, young horses, nothing will. Simply a case of two large egos, with open checkbooks, in a bidding war. I for one think it's great, they were burned. My personal preference is to have all of the mega wealthy stables have a purchase like this one. Personally, I think the mega wealthy will eventually price themselves and all others, out of the business. :D :lol: :D

A lot of people probably benefit from the ridiculous prices being paid for horses. As a fan that enjoys watching top horses race against each other, IMO the best thing that could happen would be a total wipeout bust in the prices that changes the economics of racing vs. retiring.

kenwoodallpromos
11-24-2006, 12:16 PM
A lot of people probably benefit from the ridiculous prices being paid for horses. As a fan that enjoys watching top horses race against each other, IMO the best thing that could happen would be a total wipeout bust in the prices that changes the economics of racing vs. retiring.

CryingForTheHorses
11-24-2006, 12:45 PM

Two inflated ego's bidding on a deflated young horse who only the week before worked the same distance in 10 and change. My feeling is this little guy was damaged during his course to these sales.When a young horse shows promise it taks a patient trainer to bring him around slowly. The horse can already run but its very easy to ruin them with these stupid 1/8 works.Back in the day you NEVER saw a young 2yo breeze in 10 secs.The game is now about quick money that doesnt wait for horses.Also remember this horse has been in a big stable where he is a number with no regard to his cost..IMO

the little guy
11-24-2006, 01:18 PM
Two inflated ego's bidding on a deflated young horse who only the week before worked the same distance in 10 and change. My feeling is this little guy was damaged during his course to these sales.When a young horse shows promise it taks a patient trainer to bring him around slowly. The horse can already run but its very easy to ruin them with these stupid 1/8 works.Back in the day you NEVER saw a young 2yo breeze in 10 secs.The game is now about quick money that doesnt wait for horses.Also remember this horse has been in a big stable where he is a number with no regard to his cost..IMO

I would tend to agree.

It's also worth pointing out, for whatever it's worth, that it is widely " considered " that The Green Monkey was purchased for about $8 Million by his connections prior to the sale. So, don't feel QUITE so bad for them.

CryingForTheHorses
11-24-2006, 01:36 PM
I would tend to agree.

It's also worth pointing out, for whatever it's worth, that it is widely " considered " that The Green Monkey was purchased for about $8 Million by his connections prior to the sale. So, don't feel QUITE so bad for them.

I cant say I feel bad for them. I do however feel sorry for the horse as he is now ruined. Sending him to the farm only buys time for more dissapointment and less excuses by the trainer.

Bruddah
11-24-2006, 02:57 PM
is, let's get them (young horses) to the track and their performances at the races decide if they are worth $16 million. To spend that kind of money on an unproven young horse, with a fast 1/8th does nothing, but excalate prices overall. So yes, I am extremely happy to see these two egos get a bust for their money. Well, at least one of them did, anyway. It should happen more often to those escalating ridiculous prices for these babies. Then maybe the average HORSE people will be able to compete at the sales again. Sure some speculators (Pinhookers) make huge profits on a single horse today. But all of this makes it an unlevel playing, field for the average horseman. Lets not forget, these folks (avg. horsemen) are still the backbone of the Industry. Yes, I am happy that the big egos, with big checkbooks, got burned. It couldn't please me more. :lol: :D

CryingForTheHorses
11-24-2006, 06:57 PM
is, let's get them (young horses) to the track and their performances at the races decide if they are worth $16 million. To spend that kind of money on an unproven young horse, with a fast 1/8th does nothing, but excalate prices overall. So yes, I am extremely happy to see these two egos get a bust for their money. Well, at least one of them did, anyway. It should happen more often to those escalating ridiculous prices for these babies. Then maybe the average HORSE people will be able to compete at the sales again. Sure some speculators (Pinhookers) make huge profits on a single horse today. But all of this makes it an unlevel playing, field for the average horseman. Lets not forget, these folks (avg. horsemen) are still the backbone of the Industry. Yes, I am happy that the big egos, with big checkbooks, got burned. It couldn't please me more. :lol: :D

The sad thing is owners that get burned get a bad taste in their mouths,Killing the business is the "Big" named trainers who have large stables and train by the numbers.It is amazing that because a horse sells for this amount of money has to go to a 110@ Day trainer who knows that IF this horse doesnt make it he will have another to fill the stall whereas a small trainer would cherish the chance.

karlskorner
11-24-2006, 08:42 PM
Are you hinting that you would like a shot at The Green Monkey ? Seems to me that the leading trainer in the country is entitled to $110.00 per deim. There seems to be a lot of "cappers" sitting at home in their underware, staring at the monitor, who have alot of advice for Mr. Pletcher. Reminds me of a post a week or so ago from one of our leading posters that he knows more about a horse than most of the trainers. As a trainer, can you accept that ?

kenwoodallpromos
11-24-2006, 10:14 PM
The sad thing is owners that get burned get a bad taste in their mouths,Killing the business is the "Big" named trainers who have large stables and train by the numbers.It is amazing that because a horse sells for this amount of money has to go to a 110@ Day trainer who knows that IF this horse doesnt make it he will have another to fill the stall whereas a small trainer would cherish the chance.
________
You have a point. Maybe that is why swome of the recent TC winnersw were trained by other than the biggest names.
The arabs brought 1 smaller trainer to Dubai in Ian Jory, whom my brother liked for keeping horses fit.

JustRalph
11-24-2006, 11:40 PM
There seems to be a lot of "cappers" sitting at home in their underware, staring at the monitor, who have alot of advice for Mr. Pletcher.

I will have you know that I wear "Underwear" and currently am wearing jeans........although I have taken them off a few times today.........I always put them back on for PaceAdvantage.........

I feel sorry for Tom, the zipper on the monkey suit has got to be cold :lol:

karlskorner
11-25-2006, 03:22 PM
The term underware is correct, the home cappers sit around in their "iron pants" underwear waiting for the right race to come along that they can play.

First Time Blinks
11-25-2006, 04:46 PM
Are you hinting that you would like a shot at The Green Monkey ? Seems to me that the leading trainer in the country is entitled to $110.00 per deim.

I understand Pletcher is at $200+ per day.