PDA

View Full Version : Who is joining our military? Read it here

JustRalph
11-22-2006, 05:25 AM
This is one serious report with tons of data. If you are interested in who is joining our military, this report will interest you. Tons of Data.

http://www.heritage.org/Research/NationalSecurity/cda06-09.cfm

October 27, 2006
Who Are the Recruits? The Demographic Characteristics of U.S. Military Enlistment, 2003–2005by Tim Kane, Ph.D.
Center for Data Analysis Report #06-09
A pillar of conventional wisdom about the U.S. military is that the quality of volunteers has been degraded after the invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq. Examples of the voices making this claim range from the Washington Post, Los Angeles Times, and New York Daily News [1] to Michael Moore’s pseudo-documentary Fahrenheit 9/11. Some insist that minorities and the underprivileged are over*represented in the military. Others accuse the U.S. Army of accepting unqualified enlistees in a futile attempt to meet its recruiting goals in the midst of an unpopular war.[2]

Lefty
11-22-2006, 11:34 AM
"signs of higher, not lower, quality"

Somebody get this report to Charlie Rangel.

The Judge
11-22-2006, 11:56 AM
That's too much data for me, who is the Heritage Foundation and why do they care?

How about a simple head count on the front lines, and an income statement from their taxes that seems like plenty of data to me.

Suff
11-22-2006, 12:06 PM
The report deals with enlistment data from 2003 and after. Yet uses Fahrenheit 911 as report its debunking?: It debunks nothing pre-2003. Also, it commingles Officers and Enlistees in the study. That skewers the data. Officer Candidates at the Academy's are committed to serving. They volunteered prior to 2003. Such as shortly after September 11th when volunteers spike.

A pillar of conventional wisdom about the U.S. military is that the quality of volunteers has been degraded after the invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq

That is not conventional wisdom. Conventional Wisdom is pre-war our armed forces get an inordinate share of people looking for education and experience that they can't get anywhere else. Who that is takes only common sense.

JPinMaryland
11-22-2006, 12:12 PM
Isnt also true that enlistment rates have been dropping? I thought they were failing to meet the monthly goals.

OTM Al
11-22-2006, 12:53 PM
The one thing I looked for but didn't find in this is the number of non-citizen enlistments. From anecdotal evidence of a friend who used to serve in the Army and then the reserves for about 15 yrs there were quite a few as it was a way to gain citizenship. He also claimed they were better soldiers than the new US citizen recruits. Just wondering if anyone knows of this.

JustRalph
11-22-2006, 01:45 PM
Isnt also true that enlistment rates have been dropping? I thought they were failing to meet the monthly goals.

actually I think they made all goals. But, they did change standards to get there in some areas. You have to admit this is a pretty comprehensive study. Too much for me. I read a bunch..........but not all of it.

Tom
11-22-2006, 06:55 PM
But the bottom line, is anyone in there wanted to be there, and anyone who didn't is not.

Damn Charlie Rangle for his ignorance, his lying mouth, his side stepping feet, and his fat ass. People like him retard the evolution of mankind. He should aspire to get up to neandertal level. He make me wonder, did man come from apes, or rats? In his case, rat-bastards.