PDA

View Full Version : I saw The Who !

dav4463
11-22-2006, 02:27 AM
Friday night in Dallas I went to see The Who (or the two!). Anyway, I've seen them five times before and this tour was the best I've seen. Granted, I'm too young to have seen Keith Moon live, but I've seen a show or two on every Who tour since 1982.

The raw power and energy was incredible. The new songs are great songs (very comparable to the music from Quadrophenia). If you get a chance, pick up Endless Wire and give it a couple of listens through...great CD.

They mixed in classics with the new stuff and put on a show that was the best concert I've seen.

I was amazed at the number of high school and college age kids who knew every song despite not even being born when Moon was a part of the band! That was great.

They closed with a new song called TEA and THEATRE. It was just Pete with an acoustic guitar and Roger singing. The drum kit and bass guitar were placed close by...silent. The lines in the song were about a band losing a member (hit close to home for The Who)..."we did it all didn't we....but one of us failed.....all of us are sad....we're older now, it's colder now, a thousand songs still smoulder now....all of us sad....Will you have some tea...at the theatre with me?...." It was an awesome ending as Roger sang and the two left the stage together. Pete kept it light though by throwing out some guitar picks...and said...see you later you sad f*ckers ! Great show.....

kenwoodallpromos
11-22-2006, 01:39 PM
CSI theme is The Who's "Who Are You".
"http://www.lyrics007.com/The%20Who%20Lyrics/Who%20Are%20You%20Lyrics.html:.

rastajenk
11-22-2006, 01:49 PM
I've seen just about every big-name group or artist I've wanted to see, but the Who is still out there on my "not yet" list. Sounds like a grand ol' time. Good write up, dav. Pete is still way cool.

bigmack
11-22-2006, 02:45 PM
Pete is still way cool.
Pete got into a bit o' trouble over his "research"

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/petetownshend1.html

TRUEFREEDOM
11-22-2006, 04:14 PM
I am a huge fan of "The Who". The first time I saw them was in 1982 at Shea Stadium. All three nights. And each show was wonderful to watch. It was literally love at first sight/sound. I have seen them at least once whenever they toured since 1982 and I have even gone to see them in the U.K. four times. I have seen them once at Wembly Arena and at three times at the Royal Albert Hall. If you truely want to get up close to The Who in a more intimate setting you have to go to the Royal Albert Hall. They are to me the most exciting band to watch live even at the age of 60+ of which Daltrey and Townshend are. No band can keep up with them.

:jump: :jump: LONG LIVE ROCK>>>>LONG LIVE THE WHO !!!! :jump: :jump:

banacek
11-22-2006, 04:21 PM
I saw them on their farewall tour in 79 or 80? And again on their farewell tour in 89. (Hey, I'm not complaining)> I remember the 89 concert the most 3 hours with a 15 minute break. Non-stop amazing:)

Tom
11-22-2006, 07:03 PM
I saw thier Who's Next tour in 1971 - when they were still breaking thier equipment at the end. Pete Townsend swung on a rope, like Tarzan, into this massive bank of speakers! They topped of the show with a medley of I Can See Four Miles/My Generation.

My ears and head ached for days afterwards.

dav4463
11-24-2006, 12:18 AM
Roger Daltrey played a really bad guy on CSI tonight!

Pace Cap'n
11-24-2006, 01:38 AM
I was watching a show about drugs and rock and roll on VH1 a few weeks ago...The Who were playing a concert at the Fillmore back in the day, when Keith Moon passed out face first on the drum kit (too much horse tranquilizer). Looking genuinely embarrassed, Pete steps up to the mike and says "Anyone know how to play the drums?" Some guy from the audience hopped up on the stage and the show continued. Probably no one believes him when he tells that story.