PDA

View Full Version : Help: AVG is expiring.

JPinMaryland
11-22-2006, 12:12 AM
I thought AVG was great becaues it is free, now it sending me a message telling me it will expire on 1/15/07. I'm sure they want to sell me a new upgrade, although I havent clicked on the ad to find out.

Is there a substitute for this? Can I still get free AVG? Help.. :mad:

NoDayJob
11-22-2006, 12:34 AM
Yes and Yes... If ya don't like AVG try Avast!

Dave Schwartz
11-22-2006, 02:29 AM
There is a new AVG FRee. JUst download it.

JPinMaryland
11-22-2006, 12:21 PM
OH okay, I thought that might be the case. Thanks for the suggetions, guys. Anyone else with more suggestions?

Tom
11-22-2006, 06:42 PM
I have the old AVG on one machine, and the new AVG on the other, and the new one, unless it is a coincidence, is not making me too happy. Me email is extremely slow, I'm talking 5-10 minutes to get new mail downloaded. I keep getting a long list of AVG checking......taking up the lower corner of my screen, and repeated messages that I am timed out.
I have to send an email out to get the danged thing to finally get new mail.
Then, all of it is SPAM! @$$%#$^@*:

But, the old versiopn did pretty much clean up a machine that was seriously infected. What it didn't get, ewidow did, and I can once agin go online with that baby without losing control of it.
I have taken Norton right off my machine.

bigmack
11-22-2006, 06:51 PM
Not many finer:
http://www.eset.com/

And hey, they're across from "The Del Coronado"

http://coronado-california.com/images/coronadoatnight.jpg

Tom
11-25-2006, 10:55 AM
I am not happy at all with the new AVG.
It just will not let me recieve mail unless I turn off the email protection (ggreat idea!) and everything runs slowerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr with the new AVG.

I gotta get a new program - not Norton of Macaffee.

Too bad - I thought the old AVG was the best I had seen. Did MS buy them out and "fix it?" :(

Murph
11-25-2006, 11:20 AM
http://home3.ca.com/Microsoft/Default.aspx?lang=en-US

I've been using Computer Associates AV program for the past two years.
Install/Uninstall with no problems on PC's running WIN XP. $20 version is
limited in extra features. That is why I like it. Works well with little
overhead or attention.

Murph

Tom
11-25-2006, 11:50 AM
Thanks, Murph - I'll try it out.

Dick Schmidt
11-25-2006, 07:43 PM
Tom,

I upgraded to the new AVG and have had absolutely no problems. I use the e-mail scanner without problem and it doesn't slow down the computer at all. You might try to delete it and then try to download a fresh install. You seem to have a great many problems with your machine. Mine hasn't so much as hiccuped in two years and I give AVG a lot of credit. I know it has blocked at least a dozen viruses.

Dick

There are 10 types of people in this world, those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Dave Schwartz
11-25-2006, 09:10 PM
There are 10 types of people in this world, those that understand binary, and those that don't.

That is on the front of my favorite t-shirt.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts/frustrations/5aa9/

Dave

Tom
11-25-2006, 11:25 PM
Dick, thd orld AVG totally cleaned up my other machine, and NOTHING had been able to fix it. I think AVG is terrific for viruses. But thenew one....I'll try a re-install and see if it gets better.

headhawg
11-26-2006, 12:54 AM
I use the Zone Alarm Security suite for AV/Firewall/Spam filter/2nd anti-spyware program and I couldn't be happier. It's a nice AIO solution. I think it uses the CA anti-virus and Brightmail for the filter. It's not a resource hog at all. Not cheap at around $70 but it's worth it for me.

I also agree with Big Mack about NOD32 for an anti-virus program.

dlgreg
11-26-2006, 11:23 AM
I have been using AVG 7.5 professional on my main computer along with ewido version 4.0.0.172 plus. Because of this thread I installed the 30 day trial of NOD32. I ran a complete scan of my computer using AVG 7.5 prior to uninstalling it, in preparation for installing NOD32.
I just finished a complete scan of the computer and NOD32 found 2 infected files not found previously.
Looks like I'll move my AVG 7.5 to another computer to replace the Norton AV that is on it and purchase NOD 32 for my main computer.

dlgreg

Tom
11-26-2006, 12:47 PM
I un-installed AVG 7.5 and my all my computer problesm disappeared. Speed is easily 10X faster (back to normal) and all programs work fine.

I won't be bothering to re-install.......I would rather pay for something than use that POS.

bigmack
11-26-2006, 02:28 PM
Nobody touches NOD32 in it's small stature in size and the comprehesiveness of it's finding the bad guys.