PDA

View Full Version : Yankees West?

Valuist
11-20-2006, 11:55 AM
or actually, Midwest?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2668465

I disagreed with the big contracts for Ramirez and Pinella. Soriano can do a lot but you tie up a lot of money for a long time. And if things don't work out, there's only one other team that would take on a contract like that.

njcurveball
11-20-2006, 01:38 PM
I guess he is happy that he played left field now. He needs to send some beer to the bleachers and they will love him!

This deal probably has sent Larussa to CVS to get stomach pills. The Cubs have now become instant contenders. And I feel they aren't done spending money yet.

Valuist
11-20-2006, 02:55 PM
They'll find a way to mess things up. Prior and Wood will probably end up injured again, Ramirez will slump until the All-Star break, and when safely out of contention, he'll go on a tear to beef up his stats by the end of the season.

OTM Al
11-21-2006, 01:16 PM
Spoken like at true Chicagoan, Valuist. Only the true Cubbies follower would start the season with the thought....How are they going to blow it this year. Ah, well. If the southsiders can do it maybe there is hope for the Cubbies. The pain of 1984 still has not gone away.

headhawg
11-21-2006, 01:46 PM
This deal probably has sent Larussa to CVS to get stomach pills. The Cubs have now become instant contenders. And I feel they aren't done spending money yet.You're right about not finished spending money and Cub fans better hope it's on starting pitching 'cuz after Zambrano they have SQUAT! And they need a closer. Dempster is a joke.

The White Sox thought they had an awesome lineup last season with the signing of Thome and that didn't turn out so well. Hitting will only take you so far, and I'm going to go on record as saying that both Soriano and Ramirez will have subpar years.

And this is the CUBS! Even if they make the playoffs -- and that's a real stretch as of right now -- they will find a way to blow it. Two things -- 1984 and 2003. Take your heart strengthening pills now, Cub fans; it's going to break again.

Valuist
11-21-2006, 03:01 PM
It still comes down to the health of the starters. Prior used to hit 96-97 on the radar gun w/great control and movement. I saw a game he pitched in Milwaukee this summer and he was at 87-88..with no command whatsoever. Maybe Wood will be converted into a closer. They also have another project: Wade Miller, who has/had a lot of talent but like the others, extensive arm problems.

I didn't care for the Ramirez signing. Would've been better off using that money for pitching.

Valuist
11-21-2006, 03:02 PM
Spoken like at true Chicagoan, Valuist. Only the true Cubbies follower would start the season with the thought....How are they going to blow it this year. Ah, well. If the southsiders can do it maybe there is hope for the Cubbies. The pain of 1984 still has not gone away.

And 1969.....and 1989.....and last but not least, 2003. 5 outs away.....and then the Bartman incident.

Valuist
12-12-2006, 01:12 PM
They look like they want to give the Yanks are run for their money who can spend the most:

1. Sign Piniella, one of the highest paid managers
2. Sign Soriano, 8 years $136 million
3. Re-sign Ramirez 5 years $75 million
4. Sign Lilly 4 years $40 million
5. Sign Marquis, terms not known; coming off a 6 ERA season

It better work out because if it doesn't, they are going to have a lot of big contracts they won't be able to unload

njcurveball
12-12-2006, 01:21 PM
Marquis and Lilly are both dogs on the mound. They will pitch with a lead and even better with a big lead.

If they get behind they start to quit and they basically increase the other teams lead until they are mercifully removed from the mound.

Lilly whined and got into a fight in a game where he basically had to throw strikes to get the win and started serving up batting practice. I can't see that attitude working with Pinella.

Marquis is pretty much the same. His ERA balloons because he tends to give up in the middle of an inning.

Pitchers like Clemens turn big innings into just a single run by getting a key strike-out or double play with the bases loaded. Marquis and Lilly won't ever be close to Clemens, mix in Wrigley in the Summer and Lou may just be back on TV next year!

Jim

Bathless
12-12-2006, 06:41 PM
Prior makes me doubt everything I think I know about pitching mechanics. When I first saw him, I thought he had the best mechanics since Seaver. He threw 92-95 and looked like he was playing catch doing it. Oh, those legs. If ever there was a pitcher who shouldn't have had arm problems, Prior was the guy.

Wood is just the opposite. First time I saw him, I didn't think he could possibly last throwing the way he did. He hasn't.

Cubbies might be able to count on Prior a little. They should give up on Wood completely, if they haven't already.

Show Me the Wire
12-12-2006, 06:51 PM
Prior seems to never have recovered from the collision injuring his shoulder. Cubs ruined Kerry rusing him back too quickly from Tommy John surgery.

Agree Cubs are very weak in pitching, both starters and pen.

Bathless
12-12-2006, 06:52 PM
Marquis and Lilly are both dogs on the mound.

Haven't seen much of Lilly, but I couldn't agree more on Marquis. But, on the bright side, he's one helluva hitter. Hit almost .300 (21 hits) in 2004 and .310 (with 27 hits, 8 doubles) in 2005, and was often used to pinch hit by Larussa.

Valuist
12-13-2006, 09:27 AM
I saw Prior this past August in Milwaukee against the Brewers. This was a guy who threw mid-upper 90s with pinpoint control and movement. Against the Brewers, he topped out at about 88 and was very wild. Actually felt sorry for him out there. There also has been rumors about performance enhancers with him. Not sure if thats true but the injuries certainly have made a huge difference.

As for Wood, I think the bullpen is the answer for him. He could make a good closer with his stuff, and not have to worry about high pitch counts.

Bathless
12-13-2006, 04:08 PM
Cubs ruined Kerry rusing him back too quickly from Tommy John surgery.

Speaking of TJ surgery, I have a feeling Randy Wolf might have a good season in LA. I saw one of his Class 'A' rehab starts for the Phils, so I kept an eye on him last season. He put together a remarkable streak of not allowing a hit by a left-hand-batter for a while.

Point is, pitchers seem to get stronger the 2nd year after TJ surgery. Dodgers might have acquired a sleeper.

Show Me the Wire
12-13-2006, 04:14 PM
Speaking of TJ surgery, I have a feeling Randy Wolf might have a good season in LA. I saw one of his Class 'A' rehab starts for the Phils, so I kept an eye on him last season. He put together a remarkable streak of not allowing a hit by a left-hand-batter for a while.

Point is, pitchers seem to get stronger the 2nd year after TJ surgery. Dodgers might have acquired a sleeper.

Conventional thought on TJ surgery is it generally adds three to four mph to the fastball. It is viewed as a positive surgery and the scuttlebut, I heard is many minor league pitchers want to have the surgery.