PDA

View Full Version : Computer Handicapping????

joeprunes
10-16-2002, 02:50 PM
It looks like most of you guys are computer handicappers,i`m a novice and I handicap raw numbers etc. It seems like you guys are successful. That being the case whats a good program to get started with to add to my horse knowledge, other than Pace Adv...joeprunes

kitts
10-16-2002, 09:57 PM
I don't know how much of a novice you are but if less than a year or two I would suggest buying books and deciding what appeals to you before trying to automate things. Work on your ability to pick contenders which will give you a foundation in class, form, angles, etc.

Dick Schmidt
10-16-2002, 11:13 PM
Joe,

The only advanced, powerful handicapping program I would ever recommend to a beginner is Synergism 6. Two reasons why: good manual and backup, plus it follows closely the techniques in "Modern Pace Handicapping" and "Pace Makes the Race," both good books. Second reason is that it is free. Let's face it, with all the backup in the world, you're going to struggle for a bit, so laying out several hundred dollars at the start just doesn't make sense. Do some reading and then take a look at a powerful program to see if you like what it can do for you. By then you may decide you'd like to look at some of the other programs on the market.

You can download the program with a weekend's worth of data from the www.synergism-sdp.com website, or you can get it on a CD with a printed copy of the manual and a month's back races (every track) for ten bucks.

I don't know if pace handicapping is going to appeal to you, or if you'll like Synergism, but it can't be beat for the price. At least it can give you some idea of the power of a computer.

Good luck.

Dick

ranchwest
10-17-2002, 07:20 AM
Dick,

Synergism 6 is free and it may be a great program, but the unlimited data is $139 a month and that defeats the notion you present that a beginner doesn't need expenses. Unlimited data is available for a lot less than $139 a month.

hurrikane
10-17-2002, 09:55 AM
IMHO you need to look at something that will allow you to export and build a database. That's just the way I play. I use HTR but it's 119 a mo. Maybe to much for a novice but I run every track every day which is much cheaper than anything else you buy by track and day.

I've looked a equism but never used it to play. Some people up here rave about it and it's relatively inexpensive.

rrbauer
10-17-2002, 11:05 AM
The more you know about the game BEFORE you buy programs and data, the better equipped you will be to understand what you want your programs to do, which in turn will determine what kind of data you will need.

There are NO silver bullets in this game!

Handle
10-17-2002, 03:59 PM
Its misleading to say a program is "free" when you have to pay for the data to use the program while a good portion of the cost of that data goes to the program's developer. Not a bad way to do business, but a pretty sneaky use of the word "free". Next we'll hear that the data files are free, its just that you have to pay for the rights to use the data. Bottom line, no free lunch and any program that costs 139$/month to use costs 139$/month to use.

EquiSim uses TSN or BRIS data files. These data files are useable by a number of other software programs, "free" or otherwise. So you're not locked into buying data for one tool that will only work with that tool.

TSN offers the Advantage plan. 59.95/month, all tracks and results files, for ProCaps files. These files are compatible with EquiSim (and, naturally, ProCaps). You won't find a better data deal. You can also purchase individual cards and results files. 50 cents / 25 cents from TSN. Or 1.00/ 25 cents from BRIS

Testing out software, in my opinion, is a very good way to gain additional insights into how to play the game. While some software merely implements general strategies found in books and such, other tools form the basis of their own strategies. Many programs offer free demo periods.

Beware "gizmos and gadgets". There are a great many tools that try to sell themselves simply because they are software programs. They invent magic numbers and criteria and ask you, the user, to validate their performance -- or just go along with it: "Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain". Demand that the program (through its very design), its users, or its developer be able to offer reasonable explanations for what a particular feature is used for and why it works -- what's the concept behind it, what's the measure of its success and how is that measure carried out?

There is no silver bullet. There is very good information, there are very good tools that make use of this information. But the information is not always going to be good enough, the tool is not always (or even nearly always) going to get it right (pick the winner). Beware those that say they get it right all the time. Instead, look for features designed into the program that enable you to understand when and where the program is effective and where it is not -- how is the software designed to help you handicap and to help you make money playing the races?

My advice is to get hooked up with BRIS/TSN. This way you will be able to test out the maximum number of programs without it costing you a lot to do so.

The remarks and comments made on this board about software often fall very short in their description of what a program can do or how it is used. Those that come closest might mention a feature or a concept, but there's not a whole lot of "and this is how I use it to make money" going on. For that, the best place to look is on the individual discussion forums for each particular program. While you're unlikely to find much negative appraisal of a program going on, there you will be able to ask pertinent questions about a program's design, its usage, and its limitations. A few of the more popular programs have dedicated discussion forums. Mine is located at:

http://www.thorotech.com

Best,
Nathan

Larry Hamilton
10-18-2002, 07:56 AM
One of the more important facets of software is value. This facet has been ignored in the above conversations. The concept of value is rather simple, based on one question. Can I profit using it? If the answer is yes, then it's value is infinite. If the answer is no, it's value is nothing.

Of course, the one question leads to another--How much profit? The answer to the second question is the constraint of the first question.

Dick Schmidt
10-18-2002, 05:26 PM
Hey Guys,

My point was that here was a program that he could try for a while without cost. Synergism comes with a month's worth of back data to play with. Obviously if you choose to use the program, there are going to be costs involved; my point was that a newby could get his feet wet fooling around with a big, full featured program with little or no investment. No, you can't handicap current races, but so what? A new player with a new program shouldn't be betting anyway.

I didn't recommend it as a handicapping end-all, just as a cheap way to get involved in computer handicapping to see if you like it.

Dick

Larry Hamilton
10-18-2002, 05:42 PM
Dick, I did my very best to speak in generalities and was not pointing my finger at any one product--rather, all of them.

And, of course, my point was black and white with no room for grey, such as a free product with a months back stuff to try it out--an excellent idea, by the way. As usual, black an white is not possible.

joeprunes
10-18-2002, 07:08 PM
Thanks for all your insights , I do know quite a bit about handicapping and done well for the past 45years but i`m always looking for improvement and to make things easier for me and programs might be the thing for me . So thanks for all your responds..joep

Suff
10-22-2002, 01:23 PM
There will never be a day where a COMPUTER will pick my wagers. I'll let a computer pick my stocks... I'll let a computer Tabulate my Paycheck... I'll let a computer Test my Health... BUT HANDICAPPING IS MY HOBBY... Its FUN to me,,, if I can't handicap.. I have no interest in WAGERING.

GameTheory
10-22-2002, 01:55 PM
You can do both, you know.

If you have a computer pick some wagers for you, you just take 5 minutes to bet them. If they consistently make money, why not do it?

Still leaves you plenty of time to handicap yourself. There are dozens of races every day...

Suff
10-22-2002, 02:03 PM
I can make money many ways.... it is no FUN to me, to simply "BET" a horse... I can play slots or Keno or the stock market or sports. last night a Buddy of mine "paid for a pick" on sports... the pro gave him Pittsburgh... They won easy. I bet INDY... Probably for no other reason except I resent someone charging for picks.... But back to horses... FLAT out... I am a better handicapper than any computer. Bill Gates can shuck my dick.... I'll Cap him into submission. He'd be crying for his MOMMY by the time I was done with him. I'd take his 89 BIL no prob.

GameTheory
10-22-2002, 02:10 PM
I guess I agree with you more or less. In my case I am the one programming the computer to pick what it picks, so I get satisfaction from that.

But it is unfair to use Bill Gates as an example -- you need to pick someone who has put out a quality product...

Suff
10-22-2002, 02:22 PM
I was 1/2 kidding,,,, But CONFIDENCE is a HUGE part of my game... They have a saying in my lil group... "SCARED MONEY DON'T MAKE MONEY".... CAP IT , SEE IT, BET IT.

Lefty
10-23-2002, 12:50 AM
As everyone knows, I have a lot of prgms but after I glean info from whatever one i'm using I still have to pick the wagers.
To paraphrase last line from Magic, It's me, it was always me...