PDA

View Full Version : Turkey Day Suggestions

bigmack
11-19-2006, 04:15 PM
I'll be running the show for a pile of misfits on Thursday. I'm after a way of cooking that bird without it being dry as dust. "Jail Bird" Martha says put a butter soaked cheesecloth over the bird.

For the dressing I'm going with Rachel Rey's (last time I saw a mouth like that it had a hook in it), suggestion of putting the dressing in muffin trays so that each serving has that crisp 2 it.

Any others home grown recipes floating out there that you could share without getting in trouble with the wifey?

Read a quote in Forbes a while back:

Thanksgiving: It's a bad day to be my pants

http://toons.artie.com/thanksgiving/arg-pilgrim-w-turkey-url.gif

JustRalph
11-19-2006, 04:19 PM
http://iiwww.c-els.com/G/s/96/logo_ralphs.gif

have it catered? :lol: :lol:

chickenhead
11-19-2006, 04:25 PM
big mack daddy:

I can tell you there is one and only one sure fire way of having the tastiest bird around, you've got to brine that bad boy!

Check out Alton Brown for one of many how tos:http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_8389,00.html

IMPORTANT NOTE!

Always use kosher salt when they say to use it, don't use table salt!

My gfriend made those rachel ray muffin thingys last year, they were pretty tasty.

kenwoodallpromos
11-19-2006, 04:39 PM
Don't overcook.

bigmack
11-19-2006, 04:54 PM
Check out Alton Brown for one of many how tos:http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_8389,00.html
Yo Chickybaby, that pic on the Food Network looks a tad feeble.

http://images.scrippsweb.com/FOOD/2006/10/17/Roast_Turkey_e.jpg

I'm all over kosh salt like a pit bull on a poodle, we've got a Whole Foods up the road. Thanks for the sugg

chickenhead
11-19-2006, 05:05 PM
i've never tried his recipe per se, but brining is the bomb. I agree on his pick, mine look better than that.

If you do a standard in bird stuffing, it can get a little salty (because the recipe for the stuffing usually has salt as well). So I go the aromatic route inside the bird and do the dressing seperate. If anyone here does like the stuffing in the bird, and wants to try brining, no sweat, just omit any salt from the stuffing.

Also, most brining recipes call for stock of some kind. Like Alton here is talking about homemade veg stock, ie. no salt..so if you're buying stock make sure you take that into account, cut down on the amount of salt you throw into the brine.

Just a few hints from the chicken (ps brining works wonders on pork roasts and chicken too)

lsbets
11-19-2006, 05:47 PM
Beer in the Butt Turkey! That's the best way to keep it moist - pour the beer in before you roast it.

DJofSD
11-19-2006, 05:50 PM
What chickenhead said "brine, baby, brine."

The Food Network has been running lots of repeats of shows for preparing "big bird" for the up coming holidays. If you happen to find an airing of "Good Eats", Alton will show you how it's done!

Bonne appetite! (BA, AB)

P.S. That standing to rest thingy -- yes, let it stand for at least 15 minutes. It will allow all the moisture to redistribute and will give you that moist bird you're looking for.

DJofSD
11-19-2006, 06:04 PM
we've got a Whole Foods up the road.

bigmack -- that store, while a treat to shop at, sucks when it comes to getting in and out -- traffic sucks, parking sucks! I would shop there more often just to browse the wine and cheese selections but the hassle of getting inside the store is 'such a drag'. I put it on the same level as going to Home Depot.

They really should have established themselves some where else.

NoDayJob
11-19-2006, 06:13 PM
How 'bout deep frying da bird? Caveat- outdoors for sure.

bigmack
11-19-2006, 06:21 PM
bigmack -- that store, while a treat to shop at, sucks when it comes to getting in and out -- traffic sucks, parking sucks! I would shop there more often just to browse the wine and cheese selections but the hassle of getting inside the store is 'such a drag'. I put it on the same level as going to Home Depot.
They really should have established themselves some where else.
Roger that DJ. That entire mall is riddled with parking issues. On a side note, I was listening to Michael Savage a week or so ago and a woman called in cause she was wearing one of his caps and a couple of tattoo’d employees asked her to leave. LaJolla PC don’t ya know.
How 'bout deep frying da bird? Caveat- outdoors for sure.
I tried that route one year and was asked by neighbors 18-20 doors down not to do it again – nearly burnt down the whole block.

Dan Montilion
11-19-2006, 06:29 PM
I avoid any food stuff that eats its own shit.

DJofSD
11-19-2006, 06:43 PM
a woman called in cause she was wearing one of his caps and a couple of tattoo’d employees asked her to leave. La Jolla PC don’t ya know.

Really? I missed that one.

He's got kind of a sweet spot for San Diego. He's even given Roger his props.

Makes me want to get one of those caps and see what happens if a male is wearing it.

PlanB
11-19-2006, 07:11 PM
I tried that route one year and was asked by neighbors 18-20 doors down not to do it again – nearly burnt down the whole block.

LOL. I just saw a recipe for fried turkey, is it popular?

Lefty
11-19-2006, 07:36 PM
Smoked Turkey is the best tasting Turkey I ever had.
But this yr, as well as last, the wife works so i'll just shove it in my Geo Foreman Oven.

luv_america
11-19-2006, 07:45 PM
Turkey frying is not easy, and really requires to able-bodied folks to get it out.

Smoked turkey is easier and tasty, especially if you have a barrel smoker like I do. The only problem is that the traditional turkey trimmings don't fly with the smoked turkey as easy. I keep looking for the baked beans and cornbread.

JustRalph
11-20-2006, 12:07 AM
if you are going to fry............. the biggest mistake is using too much oil in the pot. remember, the bird is going to displace a large bit of oil when you put in the pot.

Don't ask me how many times I have followed the fire department to a house that was deep frying a turkey indoors.............. or on a deck that was partially burned down because somebody drops a turkey into a pot of peanut oil and half the oil comes out.

http://www.windycitynovelties.com/Epaysoft/prodimages/7976_detail.gif

Dan, I guess you don't eat chicken either..............BTW, I just finished a turkey dinner tonight......and your comment was perfect timing.... :bang: ... we had ours early because the wife works thanksgiving and Xmas.

DJofSD
11-20-2006, 12:15 AM
Good Eats actual aired the episode on how to fry a turkey earlier today. It is likely the episode that has the most warnings, cautions and caveats of any in the entire run of the program.

When it comes to actually putting the bird into the container, I recall there being a step to premeasure the amount of oil actually needed. Then, to top it off (is there a pun here?), he builds a turkey lowering device using a ladder, a length of rope and a pulley arrangement.

Dan Montilion
11-20-2006, 12:18 AM
JustRalph,

Sorry. I'm a true S.O.B. (stomach over belt) so yes on occasion I have broken my rule. A good holiday to you and yours.

Ponyplayr
11-20-2006, 01:04 AM
LOL. I just saw a recipe for fried turkey, is it popular?
It has to be the best turkey I have ever had.

Make sure to thaw the bird completely....or bad things will happen.

JustRalph
11-20-2006, 03:52 AM

you could say that, no matter how you cook it?

Ponyplayr
11-20-2006, 07:59 AM
you could say that, no matter how you cook it?
JR..If you stick a frozen bird in an conventional oven it will turn out bad.

Stick a frozen bird in boiling oil and it will explode. It has to be thawed completely and the skin dry..use a dry rub. I love DFF Turkey.

http://www.popeilfamilystore.com/stefry.html

PlanB
11-20-2006, 08:46 AM
The Whole Foods in Manhattan are all West Side, downtown or across town,
the large one being at Columbus Circle in the Time Warner bldg. We live in
the East 60s so what's the only practical way for my wife to get to WF? Yeah,
taxi, which just adds ~$16 round trip. Yet its amazing, the place looks like
Penn Station, but you can actually get in, shop for as long as you need, and the
check out is instant. It's just getting the food home, but there's at least a dozen cabs outside waiting. LOL, just NYC drama.

lsbets
11-20-2006, 08:52 AM
Pony - last year one of our kids got sick T-day morning so we had to change plans and stay home. I ran to the store and they only had frozen turkeys. I did some searching and found guidelines on roasting frozen - it took a lot longer, but the bird came out very juicy, as it thawed while cooking it was almost self basting. Just be ready to take all day cooking one.

Ponyplayr
11-20-2006, 09:03 AM
Pony - last year one of our kids got sick T-day morning so we had to change plans and stay home. I ran to the store and they only had frozen turkeys. I did some searching and found guidelines on roasting frozen - it took a lot longer, but the bird came out very juicy, as it thawed while cooking it was almost self basting. Just be ready to take all day cooking one.
How did you get the neck, etc out? Did you leave them in?

lsbets
11-20-2006, 09:45 AM
How did you get the neck, etc out? Did you leave them in?

I think I remember getting it out halfway through, but I'm not positive.

bigmack
11-20-2006, 01:26 PM
It has to be the best turkey I have ever had.
Just last night I threw frozen Tiger Prawns in a bit of oil - Result: tremendous fire blazing up. Hot oil with frozen anything I guess is a Bozo no-no.

DJofSD
11-20-2006, 01:37 PM
Another recipe for preparing turkey. Alton Brown's beer battered turkey strips. (http://www.altonbrown.com/pdfs/ab_turkey_strips.pdf) Does this appear on the Popeye's or Chic Filet's menu?

DJofSD
11-20-2006, 01:48 PM
Here's a link to a PDF file on Alton Brown's web page. Very thorough. (http://www.altonbrown.com/pdfs/AB_turkey_derrick.pdf)

twindouble
11-20-2006, 02:09 PM
Like my handicapping, I still do things the "old fashion way". Fresh Turkey, never been frozen to start with. Wash, that sucker real good,(cold water) stuff it with your favorite stuffing, anything goes. I leave the onions out, stuffing last longer, nothing better than left overs. Stock, put about an inch of water in your roasting pan, celery carrots and onions, salt and pepper(to your taste) plank that big bird in, normally about 18 to 22 lbs. I fire up to 425 to pre heat the oven, that kills anything that might be lingering for about 1/2 hr searing it. Then down to 400 for another 1/2 hr then go in and bast it, repeating the basting about every 1/2 hr, the last basting I drop to 350 to a golden brown the last half hr. Average time cooking is about 2 1/2 to 3 hrs, I stick my fork in the hip to bone to test or you can use a thermometer.

Stock and gravy. I pour the stock into a sauce pan, you can either strain the vegetable out or leave them, I leave them. Make your rue, flour and butter or margarine to a paste. Just let the stock set for a few min and skim all the fat off, then bring to a solid boil and add your rue with a whip a little at time to get the texture you want, lightly season again, with a little Bells season or just salt and pepper. Don't ever add more water to your stock, that will kill it so be sure you start with enough water.

Let the Turkey cool down before slicing, your hot gravy will take care of that but be sure it's HOT when serving.

Good luck and enjoy,

T.D.

I forgot to add, when your making your rue be sure the butter or margarine is hot and dancing around in the pan before adding flour. Plus be sure you "cook" your gravy after adding it, that keeps it together.

Ponyplayr
11-20-2006, 03:44 PM
Just last night I threw frozen Tiger Prawns in a bit of oil - Result: tremendous fire blazing up. Hot oil with frozen anything I guess is a Bozo no-no.One can never be to careful when cooking with hot oil.
Here is what a deep fryer looks like when things go bad.
http://www.ul.com/consumers/turkeys.html

Despite the risk it is a good way to cook a bird.

Tom
11-20-2006, 10:52 PM
A TV station fried a turkey live on their morning show last year.
Apparently, it was windy, some leaves fell into the hot oil, a fire started, and somehow, the pot got tipped over and burned up the outdoor set. Fireman swarmed the set, the hosts ran for thier lives, and a splendid time was had by all!

BTW, Jeannie-O has turkeys this year they say needs no defrosting - freezer to oven. They come in a cooking bag.

DJofSD
11-05-2007, 09:21 AM
Any one have any updates for this upcoming holiday?

Tom
11-05-2007, 09:54 AM
Depends. Have you finished re-building your deck yet? :rolleyes::lol:

Hosshead
11-05-2007, 09:55 AM
Have you seen the show "Take Home Chef "?
Let him do the cooking for you !!
He hangs out alot (and meets the "client") at Whole Foods .
There is one little thing:
You'll have to go into Whole Foods wearing a skirt and lipstick,.. but what the hell, he'll cook for free AND pays for the food !!

Tom
11-05-2007, 11:08 AM
Someting creepy about a guy with a butcher knife following woman home. :eek:

jognlope
11-05-2007, 12:14 PM
get regular stuffing and add cut up apples, onions sauteed in butter.

Dont forget there is a gobble contest if you can get OTB or maybe TVG at big A

Pace Cap'n
11-05-2007, 06:41 PM
How to measure the oil for your fried turkey:

Place the turkey in the EMPTY container. Pour in water until the bird is covered. Remove the turkey. Measure the depth of the water. That is how much oil is needed.

Dry the bird well.

GaryG
11-05-2007, 06:44 PM
Deep fried turkey.....cooked in a "cajun microwave".

DJofSD
11-05-2007, 06:52 PM
Deep fried turkey.....cooked in a "cajun microwave".

Cajun or NASCAR?

ldiatone
11-06-2007, 06:00 PM
if ya like fried chicken then i guess ya like fried turkey! one think one can try is to lift the skin of the breast meat of the meat just enough to season it with any season you want, eg cajun. here is something different, roast the turkey upside down. racks are made for this so the breast does't get crushed.or use some empty cans to support. don't laugh, the juices flow down over the breast keeping it moist. turn the bird over when done and rested and try to remove the wish bone. takes some practice. take the whole leg and thigh off first, then remove the breast(which will now be eaiser since the wish bone is out) and carve against the grain.
ldiatone