PDA

View Full Version : Gimme Some Growth Stocks for the next 5 years

chickenhead
11-18-2006, 12:55 PM
Want some high quality growth stocks to add to my IRA. Solid companies with a history of performance and solid projected growth.

Two companies I like are Genentech and Apple, neither are cheap right now, but both should continue their growth well out into the future.

I'm leaning towards index funds for the majority, but would like to add a few other holdings to boost returns a bit.

Any suggestions?

skate
11-18-2006, 07:35 PM
Want some high quality growth stocks to add to my IRA. Solid companies with a history of performance and solid projected growth.

Two companies I like are Genentech and Apple, neither are cheap right now, but both should continue their growth well out into the future.

I'm leaning towards index funds for the majority, but would like to add a few other holdings to boost returns a bit.

Any suggestions?

we were talking about IGT on this site, a while back, 3mos or so, was 35 now 45. best of breed, been going up for about 10 years.

growth, i guess, you must look towards China and India.
with that in mind;
FLR (.80 div) Flour
FWT (.50 div) Foster Wheeler
IGT(.52div) International Gaming tec
SLB (.50div.) Schlumerger
SGB(.22div) Schering plough, might have some negative news ?

im a little shakey on BTU, but they gotta make a move in the future.
and you have to include Google.

oh ya, i need a horse

DJofSD
11-19-2006, 12:55 AM
Blue chip = SHLD
Spec = ARNA

chickenhead
11-19-2006, 12:09 PM
Sears actually looks pretty decent. So does Schlumberger. thanks guys.

Have you guys ever looked at MKL? Seems like a well run insurance company is pretty much a license to print money. I read their year end report, very impressed with their culture. Seems likey they want to be Berkshire part deux, not a bad goal.

DJofSD
11-19-2006, 02:45 PM
Actually, if you listen to Jim Cramer you'll know his strong opinion of SHLD is it will be the next generation of BRKA!

chickenhead
11-19-2006, 03:26 PM
after reading a bit, I can see why there is some resentment towards SHLD. They may be the next gen BRKA, but it that includes not telling anyone what they are investing in or how they're making their money...that makes me more than a little nervous.

I know smarter people than myself understand derivatives (I guess), but I don't. Could be a big winner, but after some review not something I'm interested in right now.

Suff
11-21-2006, 02:16 PM
Google just hit $500

chickenhead
11-21-2006, 08:13 PM
check out this bad boy:
http://finance.yahoo.com/q/ks?s=TTM

Indian car and commercial truck (65% market share) maker, growing 30%, PE of 20. Nice little int'l play.

DJofSD
11-21-2006, 08:26 PM
Cramer's talked about Tata as a part of his BRIC thesis for a year.

There's a least a couple of infrastructure related problems that will limit the up side on TTM. They don't have the system of roads and highways which leads to bad traffic problems. And they don't have the large ports to allow large cargo ships.

Dave Schwartz
11-21-2006, 09:56 PM
A 1960's cartoon in Playboy Magazine:

Imagine a board room. There are several execs seated around the table with very sour expressions and a chart on the wall that has headed so far south as to experience a danger from polar bears.

One exec speaks:

"I think we should look into a few good things at Belmont Park."

BTW, if anyone can find a copy of that cartoon, I would love to have it for my wall.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

Epilogue - I went searching for "Playboy Cartoons" on Google and what comes up but Playboy in Braille. Is that a waste of paper or what?

bigmack
11-21-2006, 10:23 PM
Epilogue - I went searching for "Playboy Cartoons" on Google and what comes up but Playboy in Braille. Is that a waste of paper or what?
Playboy yes. Hustler no.

http://www.crazy-jokes.com/pictures/braille.jpg

twindouble
11-21-2006, 11:18 PM

Any suggestions?

Yes get in line at the track and invest in the mutual pools. :cool: If that fails buy anything energy related and bonds. Technology stocks, PC, and software will decline over the next five years. The google baloon will bust.

Companys that provide military hardware and new technology via government contracts will do just fine. That's the future guys, get used to it.

T.D.

DJofSD
11-21-2006, 11:51 PM
Gee whiz, TD, I had no idea you were a bear!

chickenhead
11-22-2006, 02:05 AM
after getting thoroughly depressed watching the latest Frontline "Getting Old", I think I'll be buying some nursing home stocks. It's not exactly news, but it really is depressing to get a good strong look at it.

Fastest growing segment of our population: People over 85. And the boomers are yet to come. Talk about a guarenteed long term growth sector.

skate
11-22-2006, 04:37 PM
Googles has bout $155 Billion Market Share. that is more than almost any other company, cept maybe 15 or so, they passed Citgos.

and they are an infant, now.
in comparison to what they will become.

chickenhead
01-11-2007, 01:39 PM
Two companies I like are Genentech and Apple

AAPL +12%
DNA +8.5%

check out this bad boy:

TTM +16%

Have you guys ever looked at MKL?

MKL +9%

:)

DJofSD
01-11-2007, 01:48 PM
And what do you see for IGT and SHLD?

bigmack
01-11-2007, 01:49 PM
And what do you see for IGT and SHLD?
Good resourse
http://members.vectorvest.com/newstockanalysis/

chickenhead
01-11-2007, 01:50 PM
SHLD +1.7%
IGT +6%

:ThmbUp:

skate took some hits on a few others, tied to the oil readj.

skate
01-11-2007, 05:52 PM
Chicken;

it looks like your are doing all right. at least better than myself.
i have one other, not saying to buy, i was gonna mention, but i was trying to pay attention to "long term", and this (Rite Aid) was $4 now $5.9 since we talked.
i think it is still worth a good look, but i would (i always do) get ready to jump. i do not really hold em too long, and im not saying that is the way to go.

'Igt' is another story, i know the company, they are the best in their field.

i think the ones i gave you were for a longer term, with a nice dividend, wont hurt you overall.

i had another post here the other day, about the workings of 'Contango' and 'Backwardation'. it had to do with oil futures. gives anyone in the Market a good understanding as to why a distinct division acts so fast, going either up or down. posted from WSJ, this week.

PlanB
01-11-2007, 05:55 PM
Very savvy advice here, but I would not invest in India; China, at this time, is far better & safer. Also, there are some great choices in USA companies, some very small & specialized, mostly very focused in high tech stuff.

skate
01-11-2007, 06:03 PM
yes, but, USA companys that are doing busines in China and India...growth

PlanB
01-11-2007, 06:12 PM
LOL, to one who truly knows the markets.

chickenhead
01-11-2007, 07:09 PM
i think the ones i gave you were for a longer term, with a nice dividend, wont hurt you overall.

yes, mine too. These things can do anything short term, but always nice to get a good break up out of the gate. I've been buying some NG drillers right now, may take them a little while but they'll come around eventually. I am a big fan of divis as well. :ThmbUp:

I'll look for your other post, sounds interesting.

skate
01-11-2007, 07:14 PM
yes, mine too. These things can do anything short term, but always nice to get a good break up out of the gate. I've been buying some NG drillers right now, may take them a little while but they'll come around eventually. I am a big fan of divis as well. :ThmbUp:

I'll look for your other post, sounds interesting.

yes, im looking myself, i forget where it is/was. let me know

DJofSD
01-11-2007, 07:20 PM
chickenhead, I've been considering RIG and HAL. whadyathink?

chickenhead
01-11-2007, 07:29 PM
chickenhead, I've been considering RIG and HAL. whadyathink?

haven't been following RIG, but have been buying HAL and GW. I think most all of them are just really cheap. GW at 2x book is nuts, way oversold. KBR spin does good things for HAL. :ThmbUp:

DJofSD
01-11-2007, 07:42 PM
King Hal: I've been aware of and watching HAL for about a year. At the current valuations, it certainly looks like a good time to buy.

skate
01-11-2007, 07:59 PM
hal, had awful lot of volume, 29,000,000 while down .9, on a market up day.

it has someone attention.

but yah, after the split, i would think it looks pretty good.

skate
01-12-2007, 05:52 PM
look at Hal going up 82 today with 10,000,000 vol.

i gotta say, AMD would be a play for me, in the next 3 to 4 months. came out with a little neggatory profit, but the sales are still doing good.

123,000,000 vol, dang.

BIG RED
01-12-2007, 05:58 PM
My Slong :confused:

linrom1
01-13-2007, 08:12 PM
King Hal: I've been aware of and watching HAL for about a year. At the current valuations, it certainly looks like a good time to buy.

Sure, if the CEO won't be spending most of his time in front of Congressional Committees. :D

DJofSD
01-13-2007, 11:50 PM
Yup, HAL and QCOM have at least one thing in common.

DJofSD
02-20-2007, 08:23 PM
New IPO this week could be a fabulous opportunity to own stock in a company that could leave the telephone and cable companies fighting over the dregs. CLRW (http://sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1285551/000089102006000416/v25599sv1.htm)

skate
02-22-2007, 08:19 PM
ive watched this one for years 'Capstone' (cpst). they make micro-turbines, out of Calif.

Vol. has been enormous, past few days.
very small co., never made a profit. Director, just bought 10,000 sh, gives him 52,000 total.

this week, i believe he has a forum with Swartzinager?

something is going to break, soon. very risky. but sure does look good to me.

highnote
02-22-2007, 11:08 PM
Chipotle's Mexican Grill (CMG and CMB-B) and Cabelas (CAB).

CMG has two classes of stock "A" shares and "B" shares. Both classes share the same set of financials. The only difference is that CMG-B has 10 times the voting rights as CMG and is less expensive!

That is a market anamoly -- a mispricing. The B shares will eventually be worth more than the A shares. Most people just buy CMG, not realizing there is also CMG-B. CMG-B trades for $4.20 less than CMG. So much for "Efficient Market Theory".

If you want to do a virtually risk free trade, short CMG and go long CMG-B. Eventually they will converge. At that point you can end your short trade of CMG and hold on to CMG-B if you still like the stock.

If you do the arbitrage tomorrow, your profit will be $4.20 per share -- about 7% almost risk free.

Cabelas is a great company. No debt and they have yet to expand into the south -- where there are a lot of outdoorsman.

DISCLOSURE: I own both of these stocks.

skate
02-23-2007, 05:52 PM
i see where Bank/ America is giving : "no cost trades".

chickenhead
02-27-2007, 02:42 PM
I took a bunch out of stocks last week...and opened a big hedge with the yen yesterday (fxy). One of my best timed trades ever.

chickenhead
02-27-2007, 03:03 PM
wow! down 500 now.

DJofSD
02-27-2007, 04:58 PM
Major opportunity to load up on quality issues the next couple of days. Early indications from the New Zealand market is that trading centers will continue to over react to the potential of the Chinese goverment implementing capital gains taxes.

linrom1
02-27-2007, 05:19 PM
Major opportunity to load up on quality issues the next couple of days. Early indications from the New Zealand market is that trading centers will continue to over react to the potential of the Chinese goverment implementing capital gains taxes.

The top is in. The next leg down is a C of C; could be a sight to behold-- truly a 7th wonder panic. See ya at 6,500, or lower. Boomers will curse Bush to no end when he will propose to cut Social Security benefits by 40% and increase the Defense Budget to $800Billion next year as their toxic 401ks stock portfolios blow up Enronesque style and wither away while Sheriffs call Mexican Truck Drivers to haul away their belongings in an avalanche of foreclosures.

DJofSD
02-27-2007, 06:32 PM
Way too negative limrom1.

skate
02-27-2007, 06:50 PM
Man of War would not be thinking so negatory, gees.

i need a real 'man of war', like bigdick cheney.

linrom1
02-27-2007, 07:08 PM
Way too negative limrom1.

They don't even call me Dr. Doom and Gloom.:bang: That subprime mortgage sector is scary, even more so than the Yen carrytrade that could also begin to unravel as Yen begins to rise.

highnote
02-27-2007, 11:56 PM
I took a bunch out of stocks last week...and opened a big hedge with the yen yesterday (fxy). One of my best timed trades ever.

How do you mean you "opened a big hedge with the yen..."?

LurkingBettor
02-28-2007, 01:24 AM
http://contests.cnbc.com/milliondollar/main.do#

Anybody playing?

chickenhead
02-28-2007, 09:44 AM
How do you mean you "opened a big hedge with the yen..."?

I invested in the yen as a hedge against the gains of my stocks (and my purchasing power)...it's not a zero sum correlation, but that's actually why I like it. Yesterday it worked well, yen up 2%, my holdings down a little over 3%. I am hoping to get around 10% out of the yen, with the market up a little less than that over the course of the year.

Seems to me that regardless of situation, most everyone should own some foreign currency and some oil, considering how much exposure we naturally have.

1st time lasix
02-28-2007, 11:14 AM
Agree with Genentech but i would avoid apple here. No gadget companies, no retail, no internet plays for the long term play you described. Consider Fluor, Global Sante Fe, Sclumberger, Altria, Goldman Sachs, Proctor &Gamble, Pepsi, Coke, Emerson Electric, Aflac or AIG Buy em and forget 'em.

linrom1
03-01-2007, 09:48 AM
Agree with Genentech but i would avoid apple here. No gadget companies, no retail, no internet plays for the long term play you described. Consider Fluor, Global Sante Fe, Sclumberger, Altria, Goldman Sachs, Proctor &Gamble, Pepsi, Coke, Emerson Electric, Aflac or AIG Buy em and forget 'em.

Its time to invest in horse racing and stop gambling in stocks. :lol: You're going to lose your shirt :) -25%, +4 years of bear market is just beginning. It will last until last 2 years of Hillary first term.

chickenhead
03-01-2007, 10:24 AM
plenty of investments to make even in a bear market. If anyone is interested in a really reasonable fund that has tended to perform very well when the market is down, check out Hussman HSGFX. He has some worthwhile market commentary as well. http://www.hussman.net/

skate
03-01-2007, 05:29 PM
ah, no question, if you know the market is going down, now would be the time to make some good fast money.

but but but , its a new ballgame, what with "the new economys" around the world.

some of the oils and especially equipment (digging wells) look good again.

skate
03-02-2007, 03:44 PM
never ever, have we had so many countries doing so well at the same time.

im talking bout the 'big economies of the world'.

s. america has a problem, but other than that...

chickenhead
03-02-2007, 07:53 PM
As soon as oil dipped (briefly) to $50 a few weeks ago I got nervous. Profit Margins at all time highs, consumer confidence off the charts, low inflation + low unemployment, pretty low interest rates, easy credit, stock markets all around the world pushing all time highs, and tame energy. Everything is great!

No tailwinds, just headwinds.