PDA

View Full Version : Homegrown Software

sq764
10-15-2002, 11:15 PM
I am interested in making my 'ideas' into a personal software program, but have pretty much zero programming experience..

Any ideas as to where to go for a relatively inexpensive programming website??

Scott

hurrikane
10-15-2002, 11:22 PM
Scott...
always interested in new ideas.
Have the programing but I'm a little preoccupied right now.
shoot me an email..

Greg

Speed Figure
10-16-2002, 12:39 AM
I had my software program made my www.k-c-enterprises.com the cost was $99.00 + $5.00 shipping.it's a great program that works fine but it does not have a database that would cost more.

PMDIC
10-18-2002, 07:11 PM
Try j.zambuto@verizon.net

mainardi
11-02-2002, 04:46 PM
Whatever you do, pick a programmer that knows something about the horses.

The streets are littered with commercial handicapping software written by programmers that have NO IDEA what they're programming. They'll gladly take your money, though.

sq764
11-03-2002, 08:48 PM
I know.. I am still looking for someone to help me import a trackmaster comma delimited file into an Excel spreadsheet, pick out the information I want and run the formulas.

I can do most of it, but the problem is setting it up to where I could pick a paceline..

mainardi
11-03-2002, 09:05 PM
I was going to try and give you some "simple" instructions on converting the TrackMaster data, but after it got to be about a page long, I figured that I was out of control.

When I wrote Hor$ense, the data file conversion was almost as difficult as some of the formulas. Anyway, TrackMaster violates the rules for comma-delimited files, as they embed commas in the race description... I had to write special code to handle this, since they had not been all that responsive to my other complaints about their data file file integrity.

So, I started this note out wanting to help, and I can do a bit of that. Peruse the TrackMaster site and look for the file layout... if you don't find it, go to the bris.com site, as it's the original comma-delimited format and TrackMaster uses the identical layout.

From there you may be able to decipher enough of it to get the appropriate data into your Excel spreadsheet... some programming may be required.

sq764
11-03-2002, 10:12 PM
Thanks for the attempt..

I have the right columns I need, as I have identified them..

What I need to find out is how complicated it would be to let me choose a paceline from the 5 or 6 they offer..