PDA

View Full Version : Horses winning off the same race?

joeprunes
10-15-2002, 06:42 PM
Any good theorys why horses win off the same race? I notice it happens in greyhounds too. I know they run in packs , but there has to be another reason. I understand if you have an idea you dont want to share just thought it would be interesting horse talk.....Thanks joeprunes

zieglerjw
10-15-2002, 07:51 PM
I think you are on to the "key race " theory , where a race effort produces several winners in succeeding races..part of the theory being that if two horses from a certain race , go on to win their next race, then certain horses who showed good efforts in the original race are going to be considered to be good contenders in their next start .... can anyone add more to this idea ????

zieglerjw
10-15-2002, 08:01 PM
joeprunes: refer to recent posting from Sufferindowns re: 4th race at KEENELAND going Wed. 10-16..where the horse he likes is exiting a race that produced several next time out winners!! I think!! I didn't check out the actual details of his post...

Suff
10-15-2002, 10:56 PM
seeing as I almost EXCLUSIVLEY bet NYRA... Strenghth of Field/ or lack thereof.. produces Most of my Value plays... I find more winners that ran .. say 7th... 8 lengths back of MONSTER horses .. that go out.. totally ignored... I had a horse a few weeks back.. that had been beaten 6 lengths by Jester Rehab.. A horse that I really like and is a very very good horse... They ignored the horse.. and he really should have been the FAV.. but he was 8-1.... I piled on...Single'd him everywhere on pk three's Tri wheeled him on top.. keyed on two big$$ exacta's and he won for fun.... by 3 lengths... But I'm at an adavantage... I watch NYRA closley... I'm at the point now,, where there are a couple of races on the card I don't need PP's... I know all the horses ,, who they ran against,,. who they beat and so on... Strenghth of field,, sped of race... are VERY STRONG handicapping angles for me.

hurrikane
10-15-2002, 11:41 PM
joe,
as you hear it has a lot to do with 'key' races. Caveat...what class, dist, surf, trn, jky, own are you talking about. "KEY' means much more that what they did in their last race.
Keep your eyes open....get a horses to watch list if you want to play this way!
Check shippers...esp OCL and CLF races

delayjf
10-16-2002, 03:51 PM
While it is not the only reason for the exixtence of a Key race. I think sometimes track tele-timer mal-function will creat a Key race.

ranchwest
10-16-2002, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by delayjf
While it is not the only reason for the exixtence of a Key race. I think sometimes track tele-timer mal-function will creat a Key race.

Please explain your statement. I don't get it. If multiple horses in a race win a subsequent race, what does that have to do with time?

Amazin
10-17-2002, 12:59 PM
One point that needs to be addressed about key races is that one or more horses out of the key race may run poorly next out due to the bounce factor,expecially if it is truly a strong race.
Some will go off favored in their next start and bounce,some might never recover.Some trainers are smart enough to know a bounce is coming and put them in a race they don't belong in to get the kinks out.I allways give these horses two chances to repeat the key race.The price you get the second time will usually be worth the wait.I once got a horse paying $72.00 doing that.His racemates from the key races did not pay more than $7.00.