PDA

View Full Version : Cool tablet PC

DJofSD
11-15-2006, 09:19 PM
Came across this while shopping at the local Fry's -- pretty cool! (http://www.samsung.com/Products/UltraMobilePC/UltraMobilePC/NP_Q1_V000SEA.asp)

Makes one wonder what you couldn't do with it or what programs you could not run.

What a fabulous stocking stuffer it would make!

JustRalph
11-15-2006, 10:59 PM
I started a thread a while back on these. they have come down in price. About $ 999 now. The thing that scares me about them is that they have a celeron processor in them. Celeron is geek speak for "SLOW"

I would love one in my truck.

Dick Schmidt
11-16-2006, 03:35 AM
Coming down in price: Woot.com had them the other day for $700. I understand that there is a new version out; longer, lower, faster, more memory, all the usual things that get upgraded. They have also increased battery life from 2 1/2 hours to 5 and have an extended life battery (extra $$$) that will take it out to 10. Very cool little machine.

Dick

DJofSD
11-16-2006, 10:07 AM
I understand that there is a new version out

Really? And then with the new multi-core microprocessors and Vista all changing the landscape, they'd have to drop the price even more before I would seriously consider popping for one.

Dave Schwartz
11-16-2006, 11:16 AM
I tried one of these - brought it to Saratoga with me a few years ago. It just is not ergonomically sound for what we do at racing.

The problem is the stylus. You just cannot use a stylus as a mouse for any period of time.

When you use a mouse or trackball, your arm rests on something and your movement is all wrist and fingers. With the stylus you are always rotating the shoulder. My arm was dead in about 15 minutes.

If you buy one, just make sure you can return it if you don't like it.

Dave