PDA

View Full Version : Sopranos

andicap
10-15-2002, 08:40 AM
So I can't believe no one here has mentioned the Sopranos episode on Sunday night.
For a TV show it was an incredibly sophisticated handicapping read on the sport.
For those who didn't see it. Ralph bought a horse from Hesh and it's been finishing up the track as a front-runner, tiring all the time. The trainer is at a loss.
Tony suggests they keep the horse back -- rate it -- so preserve some gas in the tank until the stretch. The trainer (or someone) says you can't mess with a horse's running style (they used those words!!). He's a front-runner and that's it. (jeez, what's next, someone saying he's an "E" horse and you can't change him into a "P."?)
Anyway, the horse sits fifth this time and closes to win.
Ralph thinks Tony is a genius. Turns out the jockey says the horse stumbled out of the gate and he had no choice but to sit chilly.
Next race is 6F and Tony says, "its a short race, let him blow them away." And damned if the horse doesn't go wire to wire.

It should be on again this week..check it out!

PaceAdvantage
10-15-2002, 11:56 AM
You forgot to mention Jockey Aaron Gryder's little cameo..... ;)

Also, the scenes inside the racetrack were filmed at Aqueduct in the Equestris dining room....the barn scenes were filmed on Monmouth's backstretch....The actual races are from the Aqueduct Inner Track, but I don't know who the horse is....

==PA

andicap
10-15-2002, 12:34 PM
hmmm, why not film the barn scenes at Aqueduct or Belmont?
Much of their filming is done in New Jersey so that explains Monmouth, and I guess the track was closed......

MikeDee
10-15-2002, 07:18 PM
If they race again next week maybe we can bet it on TVG:D

JimG
10-15-2002, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by MikeDee
If they race again next week maybe we can bet it on TVG:D

Oh great another race to lose! On the bright side, I am sure Todd Schrupp will have some great commentary.

Jim:D

Tom
10-15-2002, 09:35 PM
Aren't they those three fat guys that sing opera? Pavrati and two other guys?
I didn't know they had their own show!

sq764
10-15-2002, 11:17 PM
I loved that episode, but I could not, for the life of me, figure out what the end was trying to tell us.. Tony sitting in the barn with the sick horse, lighting up a cigar, then the goat comes in... Is that foreshadowing? Or just what it is?

andicap
10-16-2002, 10:27 AM
Its the one place Tony can find peace. He's an animal lover, part of his complex personality. Remember the ducks at his home?
The reason The Sopranos is so great are the charactors, not two-dimensional people you generally see on TV, but multi-layered, textured portraits of some very dangerous, but still human people.
The reason we like Tony is despite his utter brutality, in his own little violent world he has principles. Ralph, the villain of the show, has none. Finding the little sparks of humanity in these awful people is what the show is all about.

Observer
10-24-2002, 12:40 AM
Gotta admit I had some problems with this episode. Maybe they got some of the lingo right, but they got some major aspects wrong. I didn't get to scrutinize the show, since I only saw it the one time, but here's what still sticks out to me:

First - The worst thing in the world for a colicing horse is for that horse to be permitted to lay down. That horse should have been walking, whether or not the vet treated the horse. When a horse shows signs of colic, you start walking that horse immediately, and the only time you stop walking the horse is when the vet is working on the horse. You never let the horse go down, ever!

Second - One of the most potentially dangerous things a person can do in a barn is have something burning. Lighting up a cigar, cigarette, or anything else, is an absolute no-no!

Third - At one point, before one of the races, the track announcers calls "one minute to post" yet the monitor in the background, though a touch blurry, absolutely does not read 1 MTP.

Fourth - Are we regular race goers really supposed to believe the rider would go to the backstretch after a race still dressed in full gear for a glass of champagne?? That scene to me would have been more appropriate if the guys had been involved in racing fixing .. though I still don't think I'd buy the jockey going to the barn in his racing attire.

I'm sure I could probably find more if I went back and watched it again.

I did like that they used actual races, both of the same horse winning, and that they used a chestnut with a blaze for the barn shots, which was similar to the horse winning the races. That shows detail. I hate when productions try to stage a race or races, and not only does the staring horse change his appearance, but you can clearly see the riders "fixing" the result. Probably the best movie for least staged-looking races is Phar Lap, while Bronx Tale might be the worst .. but I can't really recall just how bad the race was in the Black Stallion. My only gripe about the race replays used in Sopranos was that they had that digital look.

Dave Schwartz
10-24-2002, 10:26 AM
Observer,

Fifth - We heard the call-to-the-post about 3 seconds before the starting gate opened.

Dave

JustMissed
10-24-2002, 11:29 AM
Did you notice that Ralphy bet $5K to win. I guess that is a full Kelly instead of the half Kelly.

I wonder what Ralphy's ROI and expectation are?

Also, did you notice how big Ralphy's bankroll was? He had to have one of those large post office rubber bands just to hold the damn thing together. Must be nice to have that much walking around money.

You know Ralphy and Tony should write a book: "Winning at the Races With Intimidation" or "You Better Win You Nag or We'll Shoot You".

See ya,

JustMissed
:)

Observer
10-24-2002, 04:40 PM
Dave,

You're absolutely right!! I did notice that .. just forgot when I did my little list of "complaints" with the episode! ;)

I'm sure there's more that I'm forgetting, or would catch if I paid more attention with a second viewing.

andicap
10-25-2002, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by Observer

Second - One of the most potentially dangerous things a person can do in a barn is have something burning. Lighting up a cigar, cigarette, or anything else, is an absolute no-no!
. [/B]

Not to be picky, but you never actually saw Tony light up. A lot of people like to walk around with unlit cigars.

Dave Schwartz
10-25-2002, 02:50 PM
I think my favorite part is where the horse owner decides what the riding strategy will be... early or late.

On the other hand, I suppose Tony/Ralph COULD tell the trainer how to run the horse.

Dave

anotherdave
10-25-2002, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by Dave Schwartz
I think my favorite part is where the horse owner decides what the riding strategy will be... early or late.

On the other hand, I suppose Tony/Ralph COULD tell the trainer how to run the horse.

Dave

If I was the trainer and Tony Soprano told me how to run the horse, I'd do whatever he said if I knew what was good for me.

AD

Ralphie on the other hand ...............

Dave Schwartz
10-25-2002, 10:16 PM
AD,

Well, Ralphie Boy has a bad temper. Remember when he beat the exotic dancer to a pulp outside the Bing? (Or did she enter the witness protection program like the guys that crossed Tony? <G>)

Dave

anotherdave
10-25-2002, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by Dave Schwartz
AD,

Well, Ralphie Boy has a bad temper. Remember when he beat the exotic dancer to a pulp outside the Bing? (Or did she enter the witness protection program like the guys that crossed Tony? <G>)

Dave

Yeah, I remember, but I could take Ralphie. Tony would beat me to a pulp.

AD