PDA

View Full Version : An example of Media Bias?

PaceAdvantage
11-13-2006, 05:36 PM
Indeed, as the MRC documented back in 1994, the mainstream media greeted Gingrich's victory with hostility. Days before the election, CBS's Eric Engberg treated as newsworthy how the “bombastic and ruthless” Gingrich “was attacked for McCarthyism" and has “a record filled with contradictions: the family values candidate who divorced his ailing first wife, the avowed enemy of dirty politics who bounced 22 checks at the House Bank...” Time magazine snidely declared: "His ideas, which don't often come to grips with the particulars of policymaking, may be less important than his signature mood of righteous belligerence." ABC's Sam Donaldson confronted Gingrich: "A lot of people are afraid of you, they think you're a bomb thrower. Worse, you're an intolerant bigot.”

How has Mrs. Pelosi been treated thus far you ask?

“NBC and CBS Champion Pelosi for 'Making American History' as First Female Speaker,” recounted, NBC anchor Brian Williams gushed to Pelosi about how “I know history was riding along with you as you watched the results last night” and a glowing Katie Couric wondered: "A lot has been made of the fact that you, if elected, and it appears that you will be, that you will be the first woman Speaker of the House and the highest ranking woman in the United States government. What does that mean to you?"

Brian Williams on last Wednesday's NBC Nightly News: “What does 'drain the swamp' mean?”
Congresswoman Nancy Pelosi: “Drain the swamp means to turn this Congress into the most honest and open Congress in history.”

Katie Couric on last Wednesday's CBS Evening News: “You will be the first woman Speaker of the House and the highest-ranking woman in the United States government. What does that mean to you?”

Pelosi: “It's pretty exciting, I have to say. I'm just so excited that a Democrat will be Speaker of the House.”

Tery Moran on last Wednesday's Nightline: “Are you going to use that mother of five voice a lot to keep Congress in order?”

Taken from the following link found during a Google news search:

http://newsbusters.org/node/9062

delayjf
11-13-2006, 06:26 PM
Yet another example,

Apparently, in order to make it worse than it was, the Media edited the segment where Rush Limbaugh was immitating Fox to last @ 10 seconds when in fact it lasted only about 2 seconds.

Suff
11-13-2006, 06:46 PM
How has Mrs. Pelosi been treated thus far you ask?

Taken from the following link found during a Google news search:

http://newsbusters.org/node/9062

yea... pelosi's been kid gloved. :faint: I'm giving you fair warning...If you start using sources like news busters & News Max, then I'll be forced to use Daily Kos and MyDD. Which, if you haven't noticed, I have refrained from because they are not news sources..

With respect to Pelosi. Yes, the brain washing from biased media has really been effective.

Taken from a link following a pace-advantage search...

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32020

PlanB
11-13-2006, 07:24 PM
The fact that that Buffoon tried to humiliate Michael Fox, for even 1 second,
shows that his rehab from being a drug addict didn't work. He forgot his
degradation & descent into The Dark Side so quickly? Maybe ther awaits another Limaugh fall.

PaceAdvantage
11-13-2006, 07:43 PM
yea... pelosi's been kid gloved. :faint: I'm giving you fair warning...If you start using sources like news busters & News Max, then I'll be forced to use Daily Kos and MyDD. Which, if you haven't noticed, I have refrained from because they are not news sources..

With respect to Pelosi. Yes, the brain washing from biased media has really been effective.

Taken from a link following a pace-advantage search...

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32020

You can post all you want from Daily Kos and MyDD (hell, lots of folks already have)....are you debating the authenticity of the quotes I've put up? Am I guilty of selective cut and pasting? Have I overlooked some tough questions put to Mrs. Pelosi by the mainstream media (ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN, NYT) in recent days, or some harsh OpEds I have missed by those same 5 media outlets? Maybe I blinked when they went at her in the same way they went at former Speaker Gingrich, as I had written about above?

Could it be that most in the mainstream media agree with all that Pelosi stands for, and hitting her with tough questions and hard criticisms (like they did with Gingrich) would be disingenuous? I suppose I should be thankful for alternative media and their glaring examples of dissimilar treatment presented in this case.

And by the way, offering up a thread from some newbie on PaceAdvantage isn't doing much for me, I gotta tell ya......

PlanB
11-13-2006, 07:54 PM
I really don't know much about Nancy Pelosi, but she seems rational. Okay,
maybe she's faking it or TV-ing it etc, that wouldn't surprise me, but her points seems legit. Maybe she's only slightly more than a soft spoken granny.
PA, maybe you could ask Nancy for her Apple Pie recipie?

PaceAdvantage
11-13-2006, 07:59 PM
I really don't know much about Nancy Pelosi, but she seems rational. Okay,
maybe she's faking it or TV-ing it etc, that wouldn't surprise me, but her points seems legit. Maybe she's only slightly more than a soft spoken granny.
PA, maybe you could ask Nancy for her Apple Pie recipie?

Thanks for the insight, but what you offer is not the point of this thread.

Next.

Lefty
11-13-2006, 09:02 PM
Time or Newsweek (forget which)ran a cobver story titled: The Gingrich that Stole Christmas.
I gurantee you they will never write such hateful stuff about Pelosi.

Tom
11-13-2006, 09:54 PM
In an interview AFTER the election, M Fox:

1. Admitted he had no tread the bill he endorsed and had no real idea what whas really in it
2. Did NOT have the shaking and diffuculty he presented BEFORE the election.

Having listened to both days of "Rush " live, I can 100% say the media took everything way out of context and presented a completely biased, rewritten view of what happened, even to the extend of speeding up the video to make it look worse.

Lefty
11-13-2006, 10:21 PM

1. Admitted he had no tread the bill he endorsed and had no real idea what whas really in it

Having listened to both days of "Rush " live, I can 100% say the media took everything way out of context and presented a completely biased, rewritten view of what happened, even to the extend of speeding up the video to make it look worse.
Boy Howdy, you can cry that again!

JustRalph
11-13-2006, 11:25 PM

100 percent accurate in my opine. But Rush was a fool for delving into this crap. He has ties and family (get the pun?) in Missouri so I guess it meant something to him. But in the grand picture of the national radio show.....he should have never been involved.............

Lefty
11-13-2006, 11:42 PM
Rush has nEver been one to play it safe.