PDA

View Full Version : Handicapping Speed Software

JimG
10-14-2002, 10:39 AM
I notice the Handicapping Speed software by Charles Carroll can now be paid for and downloaded online. I did a search and know there has been some talk of Carroll in the past but failed to see where anyone was using the software.

Anyone using the software (uses Bris, TSN, and ITS in one module now) care to comment on their thoughts. How bout you Lefty...certainly you've bought it.

Jim...home sick today :(

Lefty
10-14-2002, 01:38 PM
Jim, bght it maybe a yr or so ago and didn't like it at all. But I have a friend, who only bets part time that uses it on sprints and says he does ok.

GR1@HTR
10-14-2002, 01:42 PM
I'm debating on buying it for the Q horses. Might later on in the week. Not sure if I want to get involved w/ the thing though...From what lefty says and the looks of it, it is just a speed fig program that doesn't really look like it can bring anything new to T-Bred capping.

Speed Figure
10-14-2002, 01:59 PM
you should e-mail him he will tell you what the program does.I e-mailed him about the program having a database and he got back to me in a quick time.

This was for version 3.5

Lefty would you like to sell yours? or anyother program you have that you don't like.

Lefty
10-14-2002, 08:20 PM
Speed Fig., I no longer have Carroll's prgm. but if you would like a list of prgms I an selling as well as other stuff just e-mail me.

zieglerjw
10-15-2002, 03:36 AM
Lefty : please e-mail a list of programs you wish to sell... and possibly the prices .including shipping costs..thanks.. "jwzieg3@msn.com"

JimG
10-15-2002, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Lefty
Jim, bght it maybe a yr or so ago and didn't like it at all. But I have a friend, who only bets part time that uses it on sprints and says he does ok.

Lefty,

How did I know you had bought it? <g> Anyhow, thanks for taking the time to reply. I'll scratch that one off my list. Can't imagine the speed ratings are much better than what's already available in a datafile.

Jim

Speed Figure
10-15-2002, 04:41 PM
The Carroll Speed Figures look like the Beyer x 9.

106 Beyer x 9 = 954 Carroll

98 Beyer x 9 = 882 Carroll

That's what it looks like to me but this could very well be wrong.it said's the program can factor out the variant built into the beyer figure.

Version 3.5 is only $49.99 so it could be a good program for that price and it has a database.

Aussieplayer
10-15-2002, 06:57 PM
speed figure,

The Carroll figs. use a different baseline than Beyers.

For the theory behind it, get his book, "Handicapping Speed."

Carroll actually doesn't use variants at all himself. He just "keeps aware" of whats going on with the tracks he is handicapping.

Cheers
AP

Speed Figure
10-15-2002, 07:10 PM
Thanks for that i'm going to get version 3.5 and i will let others know how it's working.

I always like to enter my data manually and V 3.5 let's you do that. :D

Ccarroll
10-24-2002, 10:04 PM
Hi, Guys,
One of your members just turned me on to this site. FWIW, the 3.5 versions is a bit tedious, unless you like entering by hand, and I know some do, because when I was going to drop it, people came out of the woodwork. The main thing about it that is still interesting is that I spent about 1000 hours reverse-engineering the Beyer variant (for the original ITS version when they were "The Form") and after the Form pulled the plug on ITS, the only place it still exists is in that version (3.5). It factors the variant back out of the Beyer figs and lets you apply percentages of it to my figs--doesn't improve the figs, but if you tune in, you can tell when the Beyer variant is wrong and the crowd is being misled.

CC

JimG
10-27-2002, 12:58 PM
Even though I said in an earlier note I'd scratch this one off my list, I went ahead and purchased with some of my Valponi winnings (how's that for redboarding, huh?).

Anyway, my initial impressions are that the software is very easy to use. I was up and running in minutes without a manual although one is included. You can choose your own speed line or the program will just choose the last line. The program will work with ITS, TSN, or Bris data.

The program will display an oddsline, regular and aggressive along with pct. overlays. The oddsline is based on the Carroll speed rating. I probably could use the book the program is based on. Maybe Charles will read this and throw it in for free <g>,,,yeah right...Anyhow, I'll try to report back how it does picking contenders.

Jim

GR1@HTR
10-28-2002, 09:21 AM
Just goofed around with it a few times for the quarter horse but have been happy so far with the results. If you use TSN data files, the CCarroll speed figure will make an adjustment for wind. If you guys have ever run against a wind then you all know how much of an impact it makes. It is like running with an open parachute on your back. And there is a reason why those in Track and Field they will not accept a world record time running with a tail wind >=8 MPH.

ridersup
10-28-2002, 11:11 AM
GR1 do you have a link for this site.

rrbauer
10-28-2002, 11:15 AM
GR1

I don't need to run into the wind to feel like there's something bigger than a parachute holding me back!

GR1@HTR
10-28-2002, 11:26 AM
Ridersup, here you go:

http://www.desertsea.com/v40main.html

ridersup
10-28-2002, 06:18 PM
Thanks Glen.

trying2win
10-30-2002, 07:09 PM
I noticed Charles Carroll has joined in the forum on this particular thread. Welcome aboard Charles!

I recently purchased Speed Handicapper V 4.0 and am quite satisified with this handicapping software so far.
It has helped in me in picking out some nice priced winners and some nice exactors as well.

Just to let you know out there that...NO, I'M NOT A SHILL FOR CHARLES CARROLL, just a satisfied user of his handicapping software, Speed Handicapper V 4.0.

I've tried a few software programs before, that I didn't get the results I'd hoped for. A couple were PHQS and Fast Fred Professional. Perhaps I didn't apply some of the suggestions that came with the software manuals properly and thus I might be to blame for some of the poor results I got. I see I'm eligible to get a free update for FFPRO (i.e. v 3.52), so I'll try again at a later date and see if things improve.

Perhaps other users of PHQS and FFPRO have gotten better results than me and are quite happy with those products. I realize with any handicapping software, that you can't just bet their top selection to win for instance, in every race and wait for your fortune to start coming in. I believe you have to use handicapping software as a tool to aid in your decisions about which horse or horses to key on, when deciding on your bets.

In case I've got some of the readers of this forum mystified by some of the words I use, you can look up their meaning at a handy site at www.dictionary.com.

PaceAdvantage
10-30-2002, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by trying2win
In case I've got some of the readers of this forum mystified by some of the words I use, you can look up their meaning at a handy site at www.dictionary.com.

Yeah, that word MYSTIFIED was a toughy...good thing you provided that dictionary link!!! :rolleyes:

trying2win
10-30-2002, 09:34 PM
PA:

That was kind of humorous, when you mentioned that the word MYSTIFIED allegedly had you stumped. Here all along, I thought maybe the word SHILL might make some readers reach for a dictionary.

PaceAdvantage
10-30-2002, 10:59 PM
Believe it or not, mystified was my second choice...I edited my original message so as not to offend anyone....LOL

==PA