PDA

View Full Version : No money to fix main track

Southieboy
11-09-2006, 09:08 PM
No money to fix main track
http://drf.com/news/article/80391.html
By DAVID GRENING

OZONE PARK, N.Y. - Aqueduct's main track, often hailed as one of the safest surfaces in America, has problems. And with the New York Racing Association in dire straits financially, the problems are not readily correctible.

Though it was 68 degrees and sunny on Thursday, Aqueduct was forced to cancel its live racing card because of an uneven racing surface caused by heavy rains Wednesday. It was the third cancellation in the first 12 cards of the fall meet. One of those previous cancellations was due to high winds.

Thursday's cancellation underscores serious concerns over the condition of Aqueduct's main track. John Passero, the director of racing surfaces for the NYRA, said the fact the main track is clay-based creates problems, especially when the surface gets wet. More than 2 1/2 inches of rain fell during Wednesday's card, which was run in its entirety.

----The rest of the article can be found at the link above.

Tom
11-09-2006, 09:15 PM
AP, now AQU....funny, since poly got here, tracks are going down the toilet.
But AQU turns down $19 mil and then can't afford the most basic thing a race track needs - the friggin TRACK!

If they knew about this from the giddy up, why didn't they get the inner track ready? CT North?:rolleyes:

Something smells funny here.

kenwoodallpromos
11-09-2006, 11:30 PM
I am only slightly familiar with Aq. What I do know is:
Other AW's cost up to $8 mil, not $12 mil; Passero is regarded as a great super, and the crews always do great on the Bel track;
If the current track holds up with no rain thet is great, but there is probably no decent answer for this track with rain. Maybe a lot of sand which will make it very slow.
I will write and suggest 1st turn workouts.