PDA

View Full Version : A very worthy cause

OTM Al
11-07-2006, 11:52 AM
Going to make a plug again here for Old Friends again if PA will indulge me. Old Friends is an organization that takes care of retired thouroghbreds. I plugged this last March and I know a few of you responded and am hoping a few more will again today. I had the opportunity to visit the farm on Sunday and meet some of the wonderful horses and people there.

There are several of these organizations these days, which is a great thing, but there are a couple features about Old Friends that makes it unique. First, it is the only one of these organizations that takes in retired stallions. Stallions are particularly difficult to manage as they can be very domineering and physical, so each one needs his own area to live in. Even as old horses, these guys still get worked up really easily. Second, they have an emphasis on returning stallions from stud duty in Japan. This is very expensive as it takes about $30,000 to buy and fly a horse back from Japan. We have all heard the story of Ferdinand, and indeed his death in a Japanese slaughterhouse was one of the main reasons Old Friends exists today. What you might not know is that stallions who stand in Japan may be subject to a fate that makes slaughter sound humane by comparison. Some of the stallions end up after no longer being useful in the breeding shed as fighting stallions in South Korea. This "sport" is legal in South Korea and basically it is just like a cock fight with horses. They fight until one of them goes down. Sometimes they don't get back up.

There's lots of ways to help Old Friends. For $100 you can buy a share of a horse that helps feed and care for a horse for 1 year. Last March my girlfriend bought me a share in Ogygian for my birthday, which is exactly what I want again this year. He and I were both born on March 17. While we were there I bought a share for her for Ruhlmann. She liked him because he had a particularly mean disposition as to say I'm boss here. Besides those stallions some of the others they care for that I can remember off the top of my head are Bull Inthe Heather, who looked like a real freak as a 2yo, but never won again, Creator, who did a lot of running in Europe, Fortunate Prospect, one of Mr. Prospector's many stakes winning sons. They have also recently acquired Awad and are currently in negotiations for Sea Hero, War Emblem and Silver Charm. They also have a few mares and geldings including Bonnie's Poker, Silver Charm's dam, and Popcorn Delights, who played Seabiscuit in many scenes in the recent movie.

There are several other ways to help out with this cause which you can see at their website, so have a look.

http://www.oldfriendsequine.com/

Most of the people involved with this organization are volunteers and they are really wonderful to meet and talk to and have a great love for these horses. Most of us here don't think twice about dropping $100 on a bet or two any given day. I can tell you that placing $100 on this organization is a sure thing and it was really great to be able to actually visit there. And if you don't choose to support this group, then help out another one of the many that help out these old racers. As our tour guide said, without the horses, all the sport would be would be a lot of short men running in circles wearing funny clothes.