PDA

View Full Version : Hacking Democracy..

Secretariat
11-05-2006, 11:52 PM
An interesting documentary aired on HBO, but this article by Robert Kennedy Jr. is a good read. Here are some excerpts:

Will The Next Election Be Hacked?
by Robert F. Kennedy Jr
November 3, 2006

http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=viewArticle&code=KEN20061103&articleId=3691

The debacle of the 2000 presidential election made it all too apparent to most Americans that our electoral system is broken. And private-sector entrepreneurs were quick to offer a fix: Touch-screen voting machines, promised the industry and its lobbyists, would make voting as easy and reliable as withdrawing cash from an ATM.

Even worse, many electronic machines don't produce a paper record that can be recounted when equipment malfunctions - an omission that practically invites malicious tampering. "Every board of election has staff members with the technological ability to fix an election," Ion Sancho, an election supervisor in Leon County, Florida, told me. "Even one corrupt staffer can throw an election. Without paper records, it could happen under my nose and there is no way I'd ever find out about it. With a few key people in the right places, it would be possible to throw a presidential election."

The United States is one of only a handful of major democracies that allow private, partisan companies to secretly count and tabulate votes using their own proprietary software. Today, eighty percent of all the ballots in America are tallied by four companies - Diebold, Election Systems & Software (ES&S), Sequoia Voting Systems and Hart InterCivic. In 2004, 36 million votes were cast on their touch-screen systems, and millions more were recorded by optical-scan machines owned by the same companies that use electronic technology to tabulate paper ballots. The simple fact is, these machines not only break down with regularity, they are easily compromised - by people inside, and outside, the companies.

During the 2004 presidential election, with Diebold machines in place across the state, things began to go wrong from the very start. A month before the vote, an abandoned Diebold machine was discovered in a bar in Baltimore. "What's really worrisome," says Hood, "is that someone could get hold of all the technology - for manipulation - if they knew the inner workings of just one machine."

Election Day was a complete disaster. "Countless numbers of machines were down because of what appeared to be flaws in Diebold's system," says Hood, who was part of a crew of roving technicians charged with making sure that the polls were up and running. "Memory cards overloading, machines freezing up, poll workers afraid to turn them on or off for fear of losing votes."

Then, after the polls closed, Diebold technicians who showed up to collect the memory cards containing the votes found that many were missing. "The machines are gone," one janitor told Hood - picked up, apparently, by the vendor who had delivered them in the first place. "There was major chaos because there were so many cards missing," Hood says. Even before the 2004 election, experts warned that electronic voting machines would undermine the integrity of the vote. "The system we have for testing and certifying voting equipment in this country is not only broken but is virtually nonexistent," Michael Shamos, a distinguished professor of computer science at Carnegie Mellon University, testified before Congress that June. "It must be re-created from scratch."

Two months later, the U.S. Computer Emergency Readiness Team - a division of the Department of Homeland Security - issued a little-noticed "cyber-security bulletin." The alert dealt specifically with a database that Diebold uses in tabulating votes. "A vulnerability exists due to an undocumented backdoor account," the alert warned, citing the same kind of weakness identified by the RABA scientists. The security flaw, it added, could allow "a malicious user [to] modify votes."

Electronic voting machines also caused widespread problems in Florida, where Bush bested Kerry by 381,000 votes. When statistical experts from the University of California examined the state's official tally, they discovered a disturbing pattern: "The data show with 99.0 percent certainty that a county's use of electronic voting is associated with a disproportionate increase in votes for President Bush. Compared to counties with paper ballots, counties with electronic voting machines were significantly more likely to show increases in support for President Bush between 2000 and 2004." The three counties with the most discrepancies - Broward, Palm Beach and Miami-Dade - were also the most heavily Democratic. Electronic voting machines, the report concluded, may have improperly awarded as many as 260,000 votes to Bush. "No matter how many factors and variables we took into consideration, the significant correlation in the votes for President Bush and electronic voting cannot be explained," said Michael Hout, a member of the National Academy of Sciences.

In Florida, an astonishing new law actually makes it illegal to count paper ballots by hand after they've already been tallied by machine. But twenty-seven states now require a paper trail, and others are considering similar requirements. In New Mexico, Gov. Bill Richardson has instituted what many consider an even better solution: Voters use paper ballots, which are then scanned and counted electronically. "We became one of the laughingstock states in 2004 because the machines were defective, slow and unreliable," says Richardson. "I said to myself, 'I'm not going to go through this again.' The paper-ballot system, as untechnical as it seems, is the most verifiable way we can assure Americans that their vote is counting."

rastajenk
11-06-2006, 01:51 AM
If the Dems lose some close elections Tuesday, you can bet the ranch they'll claim the fix is in. If they win, everything will be fair and square.

kenwoodallpromos
11-06-2006, 09:39 AM
Kennedy- name sounds familiar- Oh yeh, JFK's mafia-aided election in 1960.
I have already nade posts concerning slashed republican van tires in Ohio, endlkess recoiunts in Fl 200 that ALL came out in favor of Bush, the fact that most county election officials are Democrat, ACORN's Democrat massive voter fraud this year. etc etc etc.
Maybe if all your posts were not totally slanted vs the Repubs and the Demos were clean I could support your position since I vote mostly liberal.
But I also know what kinf of money K JR makes wen his law firm is hired by the Demos for political reasons. He's either fishing for lawsuits or already on the Demo payroll or both.

Tom
11-06-2006, 11:19 PM
Kennedy - mafia - fis in???

I guess Sec finally qouted a real experrt on a topic!

Sec, ole boy...if the results are extremely clsoe in some areas, but dems win initially, will you be calling for recounts and investigations and all the other crap? Careful what you wish for.

Oh,no to be a party pooper, but aren't you violating TOS when you post essential a whole article instead of alink and one paragraph? Or is this warm up for election day hi-jinx?

rrpic6
11-07-2006, 02:54 AM
I happened to catch the HBO show while nursing a Breeders' Cup hangover in my hotel room. Best documentary I've seen in years. I think HBO on Demand shows it whenever you like. Those Diebold guys are quite scary. Their headquarters are about 50 miles away and many Dem Party workers have been treating them as a bribed judge. I did hear a speech a few months ago, before the memory card thing came out, that the Ohio Dems are looking to keep a big cushion in the polls due to the mysterious differences in poll numbers and results numbers in 2004. Not sure the breakdown or % of Diebold machines to be used in Ohio today.

kenwoodallpromos
11-07-2006, 10:36 AM
All this election rigging controvery is just a ditraction so the American voter will not notice how Carter just helped Ortega steal the Nic election!

skate
11-07-2006, 03:50 PM
another nail, right on the head.
i can see it now "Sec. foaming at the mouth", just waiting with excuse after excuse, at the starting gate.

hey sec., you could open up a web site titled something like Quotecity.squatnot, or jiffyjollyjingles.hemi (as in half).

o ho ho ho .

Kennedy - mafia - fis in???

I guess Sec finally qouted a real experrt on a topic!

Sec, ole boy...if the results are extremely clsoe in some areas, but dems win initially, will you be calling for recounts and investigations and all the other crap? Careful what you wish for.

Oh,no to be a party pooper, but aren't you violating TOS when you post essential a whole article instead of alink and one paragraph? Or is this warm up for election day hi-jinx?

Secretariat
11-07-2006, 04:02 PM
skate,

if you think there are not major voting issue problems in this country then you are living in la-la land.

skate
11-07-2006, 04:44 PM
Sec;

really, i'll take the "la la land", i mean that, if you knew me (you can be glad you dont), i m sincere, sometimes sarcastic, but not always.

sure, lots of issues, and i've been there. but a time comes and you give up. then as you say its la la la la, and that "IS" the answer.
go ahead, fight for a while
you really believe that you can introduce a higher wage(example) (my pick would be $56.00 per hour, but thats me) and that will solve (?) what? i'm hear to tell you the answer "nothing". ill do that for you, but you goottaaa figure the rest for yourself, instead of getting copy from some (islam) web site.

skate
11-07-2006, 04:47 PM
Sec;

ok sure enough, major issues are there, someplace.
where tyou and i differ (i think) is that you really believe that your vote (dem/Rep) is gonna solve a dang thing. i do not think that way anymore.

and im happy feeling that way

PlanB
11-07-2006, 08:16 PM
SKATE I just gotta know you. Sushi? pm me.