PDA

View Full Version : Bluer than Blue

PlanB
11-04-2006, 06:12 PM
I don't know what happened today but I'm really down. That BC race +
Trevor + I don't know what else, but there had to be more, I'm turned off.
ps, just for the record, it has zero to do w/ my $$$ loss on BC day, but a
nagging uncertainty about the results? I think there's some detective work
needed. Derek C.

PaceAdvantage
11-04-2006, 07:09 PM
Except for the tragic breakdown, I thought it was an excellent Breeders' Cup...I wasn't shocked by any of the results. I didn't like HH going into the sprint, and I wasn't in love with Bernardini either, so to see him lose wasn't surprising at all...in fact, it was a bit refreshing to see him have to fight for a change.

JustRalph
11-04-2006, 07:14 PM
I am with Derek. I think it was a let down.

bigmack
11-04-2006, 07:20 PM
The card was rife to go deep. Without Miesque I was doomed.
For anyone who dopes with software and figs it was evident that each race presented a contentious affair.

Who glomped on to the bias and leaned into Thor & Company?
I didn't have Thor and applaude PA for the hit.
http://forums.snapstream.com/vb/images/smilies/applause.gif

PaceAdvantage
11-04-2006, 07:27 PM
I am with Derek. I think it was a let down.

Not for me, and not because it was profitable....I think it was good to see Bernardini tested, and it was good to see him lose.

Racing doesn't need another "superstar" like him....a lightly raced "monster" who beats up on cream puffs all summer and then retires after the BC Classic.

Even if he would have won today, who needs that? He's off to the breeding shed win or lose. Wow....thanks alot for that shot in the arm! What a giant "plus" for the sport that would have turned out to be......

We need someone who is like Bernardini at 3, but comes back at 4 and even 5 to face the best of the NEXT generation. Racing doesn't need another fly-by-night champion. Sorry.

PaceAdvantage
11-04-2006, 07:29 PM

Thanks....it was my only hit of the BC, but it was a good one. Came close with Better Talk Now in the Turf and I should have had something on Miesque's Approval, but I feared the "unrateables" a little too much and didn't want to go too deep in the Mile.

JustRalph
11-04-2006, 07:39 PM
Thor was the only real decent one I had. I had a hundred to win/place on him in bubbles contest. I didn't dig that deep in the real world.

I did have two across on the 50-1 shot behind him.........it was a fun bet placed while watching with the wife. I noticed his closing prowess in my software and didn't even think to put him on an exacta ticket with Thor. What a dumbass............ :bang:

I just thought we would see more closer finishes etc. Not one of the races was a head knocker or even a photo? was there a photo finish ? I can't remember.

bigmack
11-04-2006, 07:41 PM
Thanks....it was my only hit of the BC, but it was a good one. Came close with Better Talk Now in the Turf and I should have had something on Miesque's Approval, but I feared the "unrateables" a little too much and didn't want to go too deep in the Mile.
Thor was a snappy play & in hind sight I feel it was there for the taking. In any event M, may I ask IYO amongst the data players and those that work off traditional material and may have rooted more for the "heros" to step forward - It was a less surprising day for the numbers folk - woudn't you suspect?

joeyreb
11-04-2006, 07:51 PM
Not for me, and not because it was profitable....I think it was good to see Bernardini tested, and it was good to see him lose.

Racing doesn't need another "superstar" like him....a lightly raced "monster" who beats up on cream puffs all summer and then retires after the BC Classic.

Even if he would have won today, who needs that? He's off to the breeding shed win or lose. Wow....thanks alot for that shot in the arm! What a giant "plus" for the sport that would have turned out to be......

We need someone who is like Bernardini at 3, but comes back at 4 and even 5 to face the best of the NEXT generation. Racing doesn't need another fly-by-night champion. Sorry.

I'm with you, unless the Horse is a gelding you won't see that. Horseman are too greedy. If the horse has good predigree and wins a few GI's, he's off to breeders shed to stand for $100k

What sickness me the most is when they sell them to foreign interests.

PaceAdvantage
11-04-2006, 07:55 PM
I thought that most of the races were a lot more contentious than some were giving them credit for and the results proved as much.

As for numbers players, it depends on the numbers. The Beyers (of which I am not a student, nor do I use on a regular basis) seemed to point to the obvious horses (no surprise there), while CJ loved Round Pond and scored on that longshot, while I liked a lot of different longshots, and was fortunate enough to hit with Thor's Echo.

If you approached this BC with an open mind, as I did, and you didn't get too sucked into the hype surrounding some of these favorites, I would think you'd have given yourself a good chance at cashing, no matter what method or numbers you used.....

Tom
11-04-2006, 10:12 PM
The card was rife to go deep. Without Miesque I was doomed.
For anyone who dopes with software and figs it was evident that each race presented a contentious affair.

Thanks to PA talking abut him in the War Room last night, I gave him a long look and ended up wheeling him and crushing him. The righ back with another 1 horse, Round Pond, who I liked, but given the inside bias, loved by then.

WJ47
11-04-2006, 11:37 PM
I thought it was a really good and exciting Breeder's Cup. I'm only depressed that there is no more Breeder's Cup until next year now! I usually expect all sorts of strange happenings and this year was no different. I had a few winners (Red Rocks, Round Pond, and Invasor) which brought me up to only losing about $50. I wasn't planning on playing Invasor, but put in a small wager as they went towards the gate. My Pick 6 was alive for exactly 1 race, LOL. That's pretty much how it happens every year! :) But the fun is well worth losing the money for me.

I agree with Pace Advantage about Bernardini. I just found out yesterday that they were going to retire him after this race and I was shocked. He may have developed into a monster at 4 and 5, but now no one will ever know. I think when they retire a horse so young after so few races, they are afraid the horse will become a slug when he gets older. I remember they were talking about retiring Lost in the Fog before he got sick after he had a few losses because it was going to look bad for his stud career. Bernardini has only raced 8 times and already being retired! I know that the money is in the breeding shed, but it seems like some of them are racing less and less now.

Bala
11-05-2006, 12:08 AM
"....The Beyers (of which I am not a student, nor do I use on a regular basis) seemed to point to the obvious horses...."

".....fortunate enough to hit with Thor's Echo......"

http://drf.com/row/pps/06bc_sprint.pdf

PaceAdvantage
11-05-2006, 04:24 AM
http://drf.com/row/pps/06bc_sprint.pdf

Yup....