PDA

View Full Version : " Powered by Dodge " - Trevor just HAD to include that

BeatTheChalk
11-04-2006, 05:38 PM
in his description of the CLASSIC ...as they loaded into the gate....
" They are all set for the Breeder's cup Classic..powered by Dodge ." and..

Didn't you just love the way brother Denman ...practically lost it - Hit another octave -- went into another gear .. ..when he said " And now here comes Bernardini finally asserting himself ..and and ""
...powered by Dodge indeed. :bang:

delayjf
11-06-2006, 11:27 AM
I going to take wild guess that he had to include the sponsers name in all the calls.

JustRalph
11-06-2006, 11:45 AM
I going to take wild guess that he had to include the sponsers name in all the calls.

I don't think anybody would put up the kind of money to sponsor a race without including a clause that says that Denman has to use the full name.

rastajenk
11-06-2006, 12:21 PM
Sits a little better with me than "presented by Yum! Foods." :faint:

highnote
11-06-2006, 12:25 PM
God forbid that a jockey wears an endorsement. They only risk their lives everytime they ride a race.

Kind of reminds me when hockey players could not endorse an alcohol beverage product because it looked bad for the sport. Nevermind that there were beer ads all over the arena, beer was sold in the stands and Molson owned a team.

But then, jockeys are not employees of the track or owners, so what right do they have to act like independent contractors?

:rolleyes:

Valuist
11-06-2006, 12:57 PM
God forbid that a jockey wears an endorsement. They only risk their lives everytime they ride a race.

Kind of reminds me when hockey players could not endorse an alcohol beverage product because it looked bad for the sport. Nevermind that there were beer ads all over the arena, beer was sold in the stands and Molson owned a team.

But then, jockeys are not employees of the track or owners, so what right do they have to act like independent contractors?

:rolleyes:

Technically they are not employees of the owners, but one could argue they ride on 1-race contracts for the owners. I say its the owner's call whether the jockey can advertise or not.

highnote
11-06-2006, 01:22 PM
Technically they are not employees of the owners, but one could argue they ride on 1-race contracts for the owners. I say its the owner's call whether the jockey can advertise or not.

I couldn't care less. If they had a big giant Golden Arches on their back it wouldn't bother me and it wouldn't affect the way the horse runs.

In fact, maybe it would be good if jockeys, horses, owners, trainers had corporate sponsors. Racetracks don't seem to be above selling naming rights.

Anything that generates more revenue, more publicity, more jobs, etc. is good for everyone -- including the bettors. The more the public is made aware of racing, the bigger the handle will become.

This is not 1890 where jocks are indentured servants.

ryesteve
11-06-2006, 01:40 PM
This is not 1890 where jocks are indentured servants.
Don't most people work for employers who enforce some sort of dress code? That in itself doesn't make everyone indentured servants.

njcurveball
11-06-2006, 02:07 PM
The best part of this corporate BS for the day is hearing Ashley Judd try to get it all out. If you have it on tape check out her presentation after the Classic. I think it is also on the NTRA site.

I loved the part where she told Jara, "I look forward to hearing about your trip!"

NOW that was CLASSIC! :D

highnote
11-06-2006, 02:31 PM
Don't most people work for employers who enforce some sort of dress code? That in itself doesn't make everyone indentured servants.

Employers can enforce dress codes. Jockeys are not employees. They are independent contractors.

BlueShoe
11-06-2006, 06:56 PM
Denman was following orders,pure and simple.Almost certainly there was a clause in his contract that required him to mention the sponsers.If he were to comment on it privately,it would be a sure bet that he detested doing it just as much as we were revolted hearing it.

DJofSD
11-06-2006, 08:23 PM
I couldn't care less. If they had a big giant Golden Arches on their back it wouldn't bother me and it wouldn't affect the way the horse runs.

In fact, maybe it would be good if jockeys, horses, owners, trainers had corporate sponsors. Racetracks don't seem to be above selling naming rights.

Anything that generates more revenue, more publicity, more jobs, etc. is good for everyone -- including the bettors. The more the public is made aware of racing, the bigger the handle will become.

Ya, I can see the ads now: Stay Free and Trojan brands!

highnote
11-06-2006, 10:27 PM
Ya, I can see the ads now: Stay Free and Trojan brands!

:lol: Works for me!

As long as they use color saddled cloths, it doesn't matter what the jock wears. Think about it... does a jock ride any better in hot pink silks than in blue jeans?

And yes, I did see a male jock wearing hot pink silks on BC day.

DJofSD
11-06-2006, 10:31 PM
does a jock ride any better in hot pink silks than in blue jeans?

Believe me, unless you're using a western saddle and sitting as if you were on the can, you do NOT wear jeans!

So, yes, give me those hot pink silks any day!

highnote
11-06-2006, 11:05 PM
Believe me, unless you're using a western saddle and sitting as if you were on the can, you do NOT wear jeans!

So, yes, give me those hot pink silks any day!

I've seen plenty of riders wear jeans during morning workouts. Hard to believe it is that different. Maybe jeans was a bad example.

How about Victoria's Secret neglige?

But not on Pat Valenzuela!

DJofSD
11-06-2006, 11:13 PM
I've seen plenty of riders wear jeans during morning workouts.

That could very well be but look to see if there's a patch on the inside of the knee.

I'm not saying you can't ride in regular, off the shelf jeans, but boy, let me tell you, any kind of real riding while wearing them and you'll wish you hadn't -- at least that was my own experience way back when I first started to ride.