PDA

View Full Version : what's with Denman?

46zilzal
11-04-2006, 02:45 PM
"They are approaching the 300?" must be tailor making it to the European audiences.

BeatTheChalk
11-04-2006, 07:00 PM
Over bearing - Over praised - Overdue to just simply just say it is time
to retire. After all .. He can power his retirement .. WITH DODGE or
Benz or Mercedes .. or even Daimlier.

Cesario!
11-04-2006, 07:53 PM
He never seemed that comforatble. Maybe it's tough to call a race at a track you're not used to?

Valuist
11-04-2006, 08:01 PM
He totally blew the call on the Juvenile. Street Sense had opened up by 4-5 and he hadn't even mentioned his name......he kept going on about Circular Quay in the middle of the track. I have nothing against Denman, who normally is very good but the Juvenile will be one race he'd like to forget.

Cesario!
11-04-2006, 08:09 PM
Yes, it was a terrible call. As someone with money on Street Sense, I was shocked when I realized that was him -- it kinda detracted from the money a little...I would have been jumping up and down.

I've got one word to solve this, though: TRACKUS.

ryesteve
11-04-2006, 11:03 PM
I've never been a detractor of Denman's, so I found myself really surprised when race after race, I found that he wasn't giving me an accurate enough description of what was going on. Normally I can just rely on what I'm looking at, but with all the camera cuts and overhead shots, it was easy to get disoriented.

JustRalph
11-05-2006, 02:32 PM
Yes, it was a terrible call. As someone with money on Street Sense, I was shocked when I realized that was him -- it kinda detracted from the money a little...I would have been jumping up and down.

I've got one word to solve this, though: TRACKUS.

how could you have missed that move he made. I looked at my wife and said, "who the hell is the one horse?" as he moved up on the turn.

I don't know how Trevor missed it............

GlenninOhio
11-05-2006, 03:07 PM
In the Distaff, he missed Pine Island breaking down on the backstretch - not a peep as it happened or any time afterwards.

Though he did say - three times - that Fleet Indian was being pulled up on the final turn.

Bruddah
11-05-2006, 03:27 PM
I have been a detractor of Trevor Denman for years. Everytime the threads started about how good he was, yadda yadda yadda, ad nauseum. I would be one of the lone vehement detractors. I guess you all finally heard, what I have been hearing. Nothing worth praising.

It is beyond me why the powers to be think, a British, Austrailian, South African accent makes race calling so much more hoity toity legitimate. I simply think it makes them feel, as if, they are moving in the "Queens Circle".

May Trevors stay be short. I hope the BC exposure is his :kiss: good bye.

JPinMaryland
11-05-2006, 09:42 PM
I replayed the juvenile and he really blew that...He did mention Street Sense's name just a moment before that (see Valuist's comment) and then he went back to the other horse he had called and said that horse "is going by them like they're standing still..." Of course that was Street Sense not that other horse. He confused the two horses that he had just called out..

He also blew the Pine Island breakdown but Im not sure why the guys in the booth, Bailey, Mayne etc. also missed it. I mean even after the race had been over for about a minute they still had no idea that there was another horse down...Not sure I guess, of what to make of it or what particular aids, e.g. binoculars are used to do this. Hmmm...

OTOH. He does an excellent job of spotting horses who are about to make moves or are about to not make them. In the classic he mentioned right away it looked like Bern. was laboring a bit and he spotted Invasor making a big move well before he was near the lead. His abilty to do that was noticeable the entire card..

I think I like him overall but there were some bad misses. He missed other stuff too if I recall but too lazy to play back the whole tape.

ceejay
11-05-2006, 09:50 PM
I lost a lot of respect for Denman's calling yesterday.

betovernetcapper
11-05-2006, 10:19 PM
He had an off day, happens to all of us.

Dan Montilion
11-05-2006, 11:02 PM
The "MUTE" button had a great day.

samyn on the green
11-05-2006, 11:10 PM
I like Denman and was looking forward to his calls. His performance was a major dissapointment. There is no excuse for blowing that many calls.

Two things were exposed today regarding Denman. His preparation is lacking as he flubbed the name on a few horses. He also can not take the pressure of calling on the world stage.

Denman is the class of the racecalling community. Bring Durkin back next year!

JPinMaryland
11-05-2006, 11:26 PM
He apparently called Miesque's Approval: Mesquite's..! Funny. Put him on the BBQ.

He messed up another one was it Balleto?? Im pretty sure he messed up Invasor too.

Those cuts to the overhead were also at the worst time, just as he was making the call at 3/4 or whatever before the turn, they cut to the overhead and you cannot figure out where they are...post parade coverage bad as has been pointed out.

Observer
11-05-2006, 11:33 PM
It's two different worlds calling 5-, 6- ,7-horse fields as opposed to 14-horse fields. I was also shocked at his Breeders' Cup performance .. not because I think he's the greatest .. but I did think he was better than what happened yesterday.

JPinMaryland
11-05-2006, 11:46 PM
It was Great Hunter who he had "going past them like they're standing still." in the juv. He had just called out both great hunter and Street Sense moments before, so a mix up I guess.