PDA

View Full Version : Denman -- Ooops

PaceAdvantage
11-04-2006, 01:17 PM
Did he just totally blow the stretch call of the Juvenile?

Viva Tom Durkin!

JimG
11-04-2006, 01:20 PM
He did initially miss Street Sense sneaking through on the rail. But he caught it well before the wire. Of course we all know Durkin has never made a mistake. :faint:

cj
11-04-2006, 01:22 PM
Collmus would have seen him. :D

PaceAdvantage
11-04-2006, 01:22 PM
well, the horse was a length or two in front before TD mentioned him.....quite a miss.....

BillW
11-04-2006, 01:24 PM
Dooley had him on the Sirius B'cast :) (I was out getting lunch :jump: )

JimG
11-04-2006, 01:25 PM
well, the horse was a couple lengths in front before TD mentioned him.....quite a miss.....

I'm not sure but you may have made your initial post prior to the horses passing the finish line. You must be quite a fan of Durkin. I like him too, but I was ready for a change.

WJ47
11-04-2006, 03:05 PM
I'm always lost in the Breeders Cup races with the same colored saddlecloths. I thought that Great Hunter was the one winning, I thought he said that Great Hunter sneaked through on the rail. I'll have to watch the replay again later. I just may have been too excited. :)

Tom
11-04-2006, 03:14 PM
WJ - I thought that too.

JimG
11-04-2006, 05:38 PM
Nice call in the Classic from Trevor. He noted Bernardini working too hard getting into contention on the outside approaching the far turn. Redeemed himself a bit for the earlier goof, don't you think PA?

PlanB
11-04-2006, 06:04 PM
~B rating. I think he called GHunter also. ps: I'm sort of disturbed today.
Honest not because I lost but just the entire event, including ESPN. Man,
I'll give a weekend in AC to anyone who gets rid of that blimp aerial view.

$$$$$
11-04-2006, 07:00 PM
I am definitely a Denman fan and also definitely NOT a Durkin fan (and still am)..............

I will "chalk-up" the Juvenile mistake to being out of practice with the same color saddle cloths and with 14 horse fields. Hell, calling mostly 5 horse fields anyone would tend to get "lazy".........but........

Missing the favorite Pine Island break down and fall on the backstretch in the Distaff was absolutely unacceptable :ThmbDown:

jballscalls
11-04-2006, 09:36 PM
Missing the favorite Pine Island break down and fall on the backstretch in the Distaff was absolutely unacceptable :ThmbDown:

This is the 3rd board i've had to say this on LOL If you are calling a race through binoculars, especially higher powered ones, they only span roughly 8 horse lengths. And when you see the last couple horses at the back, u remember who they are and say what they're doing as you go back to the front to see whats changed and who's leading.

dylbert
11-04-2006, 09:56 PM
Hey, when is Breeders' Cup going to stop marketing (saddlecloths) and help us players by using commonly-used and understood colored ones! Grainy, satellite signal at simulcast makes spotting ones horse impossible -- whether it's 5 or 14 competitors.

Guest announcer, different working conditions, full fields -- each of these factors make BC race calling a monumental effort. If it is so easy, I guess anyone could do it... hahaha! Thumbs up for Trevor...

PaceAdvantage
11-04-2006, 10:07 PM
Hey, for the record, Denman has grown on me through the years, and I wish him nothing but the best. I actually like him as a racecaller....

With that said, I really missed Tom Durkin this year. He was MADE for calling the Breeders' Cup.

Listening this year, you really wouldn't know if the races being called were the Breeders' Cup World Thoroughbred Championships, or the feature from Fairplex on some nondescript Saturday afternoon.....maybe some folks like it that way, or maybe I am completely missing the mark.....

Tom
11-04-2006, 10:42 PM
Even I have to admit, Durkin's enthusiasm was missed.
I can just hear an epic call.....

Bernadin moves to the front, but in the center of the track, it is...Invasor!
Invasor draws alongside, and Invasor charges to the lead, and at the wire, Invasor, he is the best! :lol:

jballscalls
11-05-2006, 12:08 AM
Bernadin moves to the front, but in the center of the track, it is...Invasor!
Invasor draws alongside, and Invasor charges to the lead, and at the wire, Invasor, he is the best! :lol:

wow, amazing call!!

$$$$$
11-05-2006, 01:47 AM
This is the 3rd board i've had to say this on LOL If you are calling a race through binoculars, especially higher powered ones, they only span roughly 8 horse lengths. And when you see the last couple horses at the back, u remember who they are and say what they're doing as you go back to the front to see whats changed and who's leading.

A good announcer, which I did and still do think Trevor is, pays attention to where the FAVORITE is in the race for the MAJORITY of the fans who bet on it. If it was a 50-1 shot I wouldn't have been so critical, but a world class announcer like Denman should not have missed that being she was the favorite. Still :ThmbDown: for me on the call.

Zman179
11-05-2006, 07:39 AM

Nonsense. If there are 14 horses in a race, then the announcer needs to keep track of all 14. Tom Durkin does this and NEVER would have missed the breakdown because he would have had a pause after calling the 13th horse since he calls positions (horse A is eighth, horse B is running ninth, etc.) Denman doesn't call positions, thus he missed the breakdown. This is why Durkin is the best fit for the BC.

garyoz
11-05-2006, 09:48 AM
Not sure if his style fits big races. Probably have to give him a Mulligan this year. Personally, I think Durkin is the best ever.