PDA

View Full Version : Corrupt files

speedking
11-03-2006, 10:08 AM
I just got a panicked call from a girlfriend at her office. Her computer would not open Windows XP today. She has a screen message reading unable to boot...corrupt files in system 32 and it's telling her to reboot from a system disc, which of course she does not have.

I tried to get her started in safe mode, but she can't seem to get to that screen either.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks

speedking

njcurveball
11-03-2006, 10:15 AM
She has to use her Windows XP CD and try to do a repair. Sounds like Malware is the cause.

There is also a way to recover the boot sector using Knoppix (Linux kernel).

If she isn't a techie, she may not be able to recover what is on her hard drive without using some kind of Linux utility.

Hopefully the Windows CD can repair it.

*** I just read your message again, by the "system cd", do you mean Windows? If so, how would you expect these corrupt files to be replaced with good ones? You can try Knoppix if you know someone who is savvy enough to find the image on the Web and burn a CD ***

best to you,
Jim

speedking
11-03-2006, 10:31 AM
Thanks very much for the advice Jim. I'm passing it on along with the advice to bring some outside help in. She is a very hot looking lady, but her tech experience ends with clicking the start button :)

Best of luck in the BC!

speedking

JustRalph
11-03-2006, 10:33 AM
She is a very hot looking lady,

well that changes everything...............

njcurveball
11-03-2006, 11:15 AM
Can you get to a DOS partition in Safe mode? If you can, this command may make you much more attractive to her.

fdisk /mbr

I am guessing you cannot even get to DOS, but maybe this will at least get you a date. ;-)

One more thing, there are sites that have images of boot disks. You probably can use any Windows boot to get to the DOS partition. Try bootdisk.com or some other site to see if that gets you closer.

best to you,
Jim

speedking
11-03-2006, 11:35 AM
Can you get to a DOS partition in Safe mode? If you can, this command may make you much more attractive to her.

fdisk /mbr

I am guessing you cannot even get to DOS, but maybe this will at least get you a date. ;-)

One more thing, there are sites that have images of boot disks. You probably can use any Windows boot to get to the DOS partition. Try bootdisk.com or some other site to see if that gets you closer.

best to you,
Jim

Thanks for the help, Jim, but she could not get to dos, could not get to the screen when I tried to have her open in safe mode. She is looking for the Windows cd now. I'm not too hopeful here. At least all data has been backed up so there is no loss.

Thanks again,

speedking

njcurveball
11-03-2006, 01:26 PM
I think you missed the step about trying to create a boot disk. That should get you into DOS.

I fixed a similar problem on a number of computers. She probably downloads from a site like bearshare or limewire or whatever. The people who design the Malware are very similar to the PETA members spray painting fur coats. They think that doing this keeps people from downloading, but all it does is hurt the innocent.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was Gates money funding these A$$holes.

Try to make a bootdisk image and get into DOS if you cannot find the Windows CD this is your best bet.

Jim

speedking
11-03-2006, 03:30 PM
Thanks for all the advice, Jim, but I tried telling her what to do over the phone and she just couldn't follow. :bang:

Thank god she looks like Morgan Fairchild:jump:

speedking

njcurveball
11-03-2006, 03:34 PM
MAN I just LOVE Morgan Fairchild! I would fix her computer for free anytime! :jump:

best to you,
Jim

robert99
11-03-2006, 03:35 PM
Win XP may use NTFS files system on hard disk which does not work with DOS.
The problem is system32 files are corrupt and this needs the Windows CD to boot up and repair. MS knowledge base refers to this specific problem.

speedking
11-03-2006, 05:06 PM
Thanks Robert. She had to wait for the owner to come in. He had the disc in his office and when he restarted off the windows disc it corrected the problem.

I appreciate everyone's help. Godd luck to all tomorrow!

speedking