PDA

View Full Version : Help! Pop up question

santanajimi
11-03-2006, 08:47 AM
I am getting over run with popups....i have a pop up blocker on, but still get them. I just X them off the screen for now, and wary of installing another blocker , because i use youbet, and i worry that i wont be able to get THOSE things to popup.....any suggestions?

twindouble
11-03-2006, 08:57 AM
I am getting over run with popups....i have a pop up blocker on, but still get them. I just X them off the screen for now, and wary of installing another blocker , because i use youbet, and i worry that i wont be able to get THOSE things to popup.....any suggestions?

Our computer experts are located on Off Topic at the bottom. On AOL you have block preferences for every site you go to, on or off. Mine show up at the bottom of the page on each site. You'll need to let the guys know what your computer system is, I would think.

JustRalph
11-03-2006, 10:07 AM
you have probably been hijacked. run system restore

if it is xp

"start" "Run" type in "msconfig" when it opens, at the bottom click

"launch system restore" follow the directions to restore you computer to an earlier time......................

restore it back to before the problem started

"Pray"

michiken
11-03-2006, 12:50 PM
< If system restore does not work >

1. Download the following programs from download.com (http://www.download.com/3101-20-0-1.html?tag=pop.software)

a. Spybot Search and Destroy
b. Ad Aware
c. Zone Alarm Firewall
d. AVG Free Anti Virus
e. Mozilla Firefox Web Browser

2. Disconnect your computer from the internet. Reboot and install the programs.

3. After all installations reboot into safe mode by pressing the [F5] or [F8] keys? when the computer first shows a black screen. This is done to avoid loading all malware...

4. Perform scans with Spybot, Ad Aware and AVG. You may be surprised at how much malware and junk is installed..... let them clean.

5. Once the machine is clean, re-connect to the internet and download all of the software updates.

6. Reboot to safe mode again disconnecting from the internet. Repeat scans several times.

7. Use Mozilla Firefox (http://mozilla.com/)as your web browser to prevent all the security holes from Internet Exploiter from being compromised.

8. Always run a firewall. Each computer has 64,000ish ports on which it can connect to the internet. Without a firewall, it is akin to leaving every window in your house open inviting thieves in.

kitts
11-03-2006, 12:55 PM
I have NS7.2 and the popup manager lets me designate sites where popups are OK and blocks all the others. Maybe this works for you.

KYJACK
11-03-2006, 01:00 PM
A good first step is Ad-Aware SE Personal Edition by LavaSoft (http://www.download.com/3000-2144-10045910.html). It's FREE for Private use!:jump: Although its mainly for spyware that can slow down your system, I've also seen it detect some annoying Pop-ups. On my system, it only detects a couple of hits every few weeks (I'm pretty aggressive about adding detected sites to my 'Restricted Sites' list in the 'Internet Explorer Options' page to prevent future re-infection). However, I've also seen it run on a couple of casual user PCs and detect over 400 hits!

Also, on the pop-up windows, is there a site address in the top header line? Is it always the same, or is the ad presented or sponsored by someone? If so, then you do a google search for possible fixes.

wary of installing another blocker , because i use youbet, and i worry that i wont be able to get THOSE things to popup..... :confused:
Yup - it's good to wary! I use YouBet and on an earlier system, I used the 'Immunize' feature of 'Spybot - Search and Destroy' and/or 'Spyware Blaster' (BTW - Both are very good, just be alert!) and then could no longer get YouBet to work - I think something was added to the 'Restricted Sites' list, so I ended up just restoring the system.:bang:

Jack

WJ47
11-03-2006, 04:44 PM
I used to have that problem. It was so annoying that I could barely use my computer. It turned out that I was infected with multiple spyware and trojan programs (Yikes, like 42 of them!). I used Pest Patrol and it would get rid of them while I was using the computer, but when I'd reboot, they'd be back. Finally, I ended up turning off system restore (it made me nervous to do that), running Pest Patrol, and then rebooting and they were gone. Of course, I'd end up getting reinfected from time to time, but that was the only way I'd be able to take care of them. I tried tons of things and that was the only thing that worked. My computer was so infected that it even hijacked my yahoo and google search pages! I'd recommend you go to one of the computer tech forums (I think there is one just for spyware problems), just google "spyware forum" and you should get some good ones. It's a real pain with that spyware. You have to try to stay away from questionable sites and downloads because they sneak on the spyware! I know its hard and I still go to questionable sites myself. I just got infected again last month from buying and downloading an ebook from someone on eBay!

trying2win
11-03-2006, 09:12 PM
Try ADMUNCHER. I've been using it for years. If I remember correctly, they let you try it free for 30 days, before deciding whether you want to purchase it or not. I think it only cost me $25 or $30 U.S. after the trial was over. Keeps the pop-up ads and banners away, yet allows the toteboards to pop-up on your screen.

Here's the link to their website, where you can read the FAQS and download the software, if you're interested:

www.admuncher.com

BTW....I think this thread should be in the COMPUTER section.

Thanks,

T2W

linrom1
11-03-2006, 10:57 PM
[1] Never have system restore on. Disable it.

[2] Use Firefox, it allows for better control of pop-ups than IE.

[3] You need to visually check what processes are running and follow them to exe(executable files). Right click properties and check what program, company wrote it, most have descriptions, names, versions etc.

[4] Check your Program Files for suspicious folders and if you find any follow up to registry keys.

[5] Run MsConfig and check all the programs that startup on boot up. Disable any that look suspicious. As a matter of fact, you can can probably disable all of them except peripheral drivers, and motherboard sys utilities and drivers.

[6] Go back to 4 and delete infected registry keys. Some programs won't allow you to delete them unless you can prevent them from starting up. You might need to restart your system several times.

[7] Rerun all those spyware programs that others suggested above.

NOTE this is risky procedure and you can delete something that you might need; but, sometimes this is going to be the only way to get rid of malware other than then a clean re-installation.

santanajimi
11-05-2006, 10:04 AM
Thanks for all the good ideas guys....i will let you know what worked for me!