PDA

View Full Version : 2 types of closers

cj
10-08-2002, 03:27 PM
Anyone notice the two distinctly different types of closers?

A good example is Pleasantly Perfect and Milwaukee Brew. While both lag far back early in the race, Perfect is able to get within a few lengths of the lead consistently and sustain the move coming home. Brew, on the other hand, is nearly always too far back to get the job done and only wins against weak opposition or when the pace completely collapses. I've noticed this with your more ordinary horses as well.

Any thoughts?

CJ

Tee
10-08-2002, 10:11 PM
What's going on, haven't heard from ya in a while.

Grinders, One Run types, Sustained Types. There are quite a few varieties of horses that lack any speed whatsoever.

PP didn't exactly beat a stellar field in the Goodwood.

Both PP & MB have now beaten Momentum(for what it's worth).

Milwaukee Brew did out-finish Pleasantly Perfect in the Pacific Classic - not a very fair comparison when MB has twice the racing experience that PP has.

How's the Golf Game?

andicap
10-09-2002, 12:38 PM
Isn't this the difference between what Brohamer calls "S/P" horses, those who can get into position by the stretch to make a run and also run as pressers if the pace is slow and "S" horses. These are pure sustained horses (HTR calls them "R" for rear) that clunk up in the stretch and only win when the pace falls apart (Silky Sullivan types who can close in 23 notwithstanding).

This is one of my troubles with BRIS. It makes no differentiation in this area and since lots of programs use the BRIS running styles, I consider them useless. S/P horses have a good chance if they can close fast and the pace falls apart. S horses SEEM like they have a chance to win if the pace is fast, but they usually disappoint and end up 3rd or so.

cj
10-09-2002, 01:37 PM
I know the type horse you are talking about Andicap as an S/P, but I'm talking pure S types who lag back at the first call regardless of pace. It just seems to me a very select few can still get into position at the stretch call and are worth a bet, while most are plodders are not.

CJ

hurrikane
10-10-2002, 01:22 PM
IMHO it's not just the horse. The field size(traffic to overcome) and jockey play a big factor with these types of horses as do distance (and possibly sex).
Sure do like them in the triple. running up to fill the holes at 20-1. :D