PDA

View Full Version : Trick or Treat

kingfin66
10-31-2006, 10:27 PM
Do you all get a lot of trick or treaters? I am absolutely astonished by the volume of young ones coming to the door. It has taken me 25 minutes to type this. There goes the doorbell again!

Happy Halloween!

DJofSD
10-31-2006, 10:31 PM
Not too many this year -- maybe altogether 25 kids. Lots of candy left over.

bettheoverlay
10-31-2006, 10:43 PM
Trick or treating is almost totally a thing of the past in my neighborhood. Got 2 kids all night. 20 years ago the doorbell never stopped ringing.

I ate alot of candy!

Steve 'StatMan'
10-31-2006, 11:51 PM
I live in an 50 unit condo-apartment building (security door, buzzers, etc). Usually only get 1 or 2 visitors, maybe 5 kids tops. This year, bunch more families with kids moved in. I loaded up on candy this year. Got just a brother & sister from down the hall. Unfortnately for the kids, I might have been the only one home/answering the door/giving candy again this year. Hope I see them tomorrow, so I can give away the rest of the bag before I eat them. But I think they have organized parties at school and at the community/park district level here, so I don't think our young kids are going candyless and uncared about on Halloween.

Lefty
11-01-2006, 12:43 AM
I usually get 70-80 kids. This yr only 6. Strange...

shanta
11-01-2006, 07:04 AM
Trick or treating is almost totally a thing of the past in my neighborhood. Got 2 kids all night. 20 years ago the doorbell never stopped ringing.

I ate alot of candy!

Same here Bet. Live on a quiet dead end. 2 kids all night. They came late so they made out like fat rats. lol

Rich :)

santanajimi
11-01-2006, 07:19 AM
I got ZERO kids here...I live on a end street but there are alot of kids in the nieghborhood.....strange? Not really....alot of parents realize that it is a crazy world we live in nowadays....staying home is alot safer for the kids.....

lsbets
11-01-2006, 07:48 AM
The big thing here last night was a "trunk or treat". Basically a bunch of parents parking in a church or school parking lot and the kids going car to car instead of door to door.

Suff
11-01-2006, 07:57 AM
I usually get 70-80 kids. This yr only 6. Strange...

Lefty

You've become the "mean old man".:ThmbDown: Railing against the world will do that to you. I'd advise some good ole fashioned liberalism. Works wonders on the spirit.:D

ljb
11-01-2006, 08:36 AM
We had 60-70 kids at our house. A little more then last year. Door knocking activities were scheduled from 6 pm til 8 pm and youngsters adhered to the time slot with precision .

chickenhead
11-01-2006, 09:37 AM
Last night we had one (a little two year old dressed up as the devil), last year zero. Our little street doesn't have streetlights....so I guess they go somewheres else.

twindouble
11-01-2006, 10:38 AM
My wife plans her Choc candy binge around holloween, she's well aware we've gone from 60 to 70 kids down to 10 or less over the last 15 years but she still buys the same amount of candy. :eek:

Lefty
11-01-2006, 10:54 AM
Lefty

You've become the "mean old man".:ThmbDown: Railing against the world will do that to you. I'd advise some good ole fashioned liberalism. Works wonders on the spirit.:D
Not so, my friend. The kids love me in my neighbor hood.
Conservatism does not mean one is mean. I enkoy giving out treats on Halloween and this yr I was disappointed.
I don't rail against the world, I rail against liberal ideas.

TRUEFREEDOM
11-01-2006, 11:15 AM
Another Christian tradition fading away

Suff
11-01-2006, 12:46 PM
[QUOTE]
Not so, my friend. The kids love me in my neighbor hood.
Conservatism does not mean one is mean. I enkoy giving out treats on Halloween and this yr I was disappointed.
I don't rail against the world,

Just a lil bust on you lefty (righty)

I rail against liberal ideas

You ought to see a Doctor about that.:D

Suff
11-01-2006, 12:48 PM
Another Christian tradition fading away

Has the time expired to delete your post? Because your not suggesting Halloween is a Christian Tradition are you?

Most religious leaders in the US are strongly against it. Not to mention its a PAGAN tradition. Exported from Ireland btw.

DJofSD
11-01-2006, 01:05 PM
The Catholic perspective on halloween. (http://www.americancatholic.org/Newsletters/CU/ac1099.asp)

A Mexican tradition - the Day of the Dead. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Day_of_the_Dead)

To flat out state the church is against celebrating Halloween is off the mark.

TRUEFREEDOM
11-01-2006, 01:39 PM
Has the time expired to delete your post? Because your not suggesting Halloween is a Christian Tradition are you?

Most religious leaders in the US are strongly against it. Not to mention its a PAGAN tradition. Exported from Ireland btw.

Its a catholic tradition.

chickenhead
11-01-2006, 01:54 PM

No it's not. There's nothing remotely Catholic about Halloween. All Saints Day (today) is Catholic, but it was appropriated from the Pagans as well.

Suff
11-01-2006, 01:55 PM

Oidche Shamhna .

That's Gaelic for what you know as Halloween. It actually means Night of Samhain. Its Celtic. (pr. K'-elti-c')

Its AD. Long before Christ. And a 1000 years before Roman Catholicism.

No Matter. You were insinuating that the world as you know it was being ripped from your grasp. The dying of tradition. Even if Halloween isn't Christian, nor Catholic. It still is not an automatic negative that it has changed. It just means it has changed.

Wall Street doesnt think so though. Halloween related consumption was up 50% in 2006. 5 Billion to 10 Billion.

rastajenk
11-01-2006, 03:33 PM
It may be big business, but it sure has changed. No soaped windows, nobody corned our house, no busted pumpkins in the street...not even any ripped up campaign signs around here. Those were staples when I was a lad. In those halcyon days, Halloween meant roaming the town plotting spontaneous displays of petty vandalism. Kids today don't know what they're missing. :cool:

Lefty
11-01-2006, 05:34 PM
Suff, I know.
take care.

Every now and then I check in on Dr Hannity on the radio. LOL

Tom
11-01-2006, 06:20 PM
Ised tog et 400-500 kids every year. Letleym we are down to 100-200. Last night,around 150. Guess a lot are in reform schools these days! :D

I was kind of disappointed that over half the houses had their lights off and offered nothing. Especially those houses who hid out while their own bras were out pillaging.

I mean, come on, don't take it out on the kids - let them have thier fun. The lttle ones were awwe struck -0 many on thier first night out and you could see they were having memoires thaey will never forget. But I guess $10 worth of Snickers isn't worth it.
Life is miserable in a blue state:rolleyes:

chickenhead
11-01-2006, 06:31 PM
I felt terrible..like I said we never get any, and neither of us remembered to buy any candy.

So we got a knock last night around 8, little two year old and her dad from up the street...my girlfriend goes into the kitchen and comes back with a pomegranate.

Quick thinking I guess...but I'm thinking "a f'ing pomegranate?!" don't know what the hell kind of treat that is...more of a trick. We had a pretty good laugh.

I told her dad bring her back next year, we'll have some proper treats.

lsbets
11-01-2006, 06:42 PM
Chieckenhead - was your car okay today?

bigmack
11-01-2006, 06:43 PM
What I find outrageous about the holiday is that it gives perfectly normal, respectable women from ages 18-50something, living lives of quiet desparation, a viable reason to dress like complete and total floozies.

I 4 one, object.

http://www.fashionvice.com/files/chamber_maid.jpg

Tom
11-01-2006, 06:44 PM
There was a pomegranate stuck up the tail pipe! :lol:

chickenhead
11-01-2006, 06:47 PM
There was a pomegranate stuck up the tail pipe! :lol:

If someone had handed me a pomegranate back in the day....there would have been some retribution, no doubt.

These kids today are boring!

lsbets
11-01-2006, 06:51 PM
I'm still laughing, trying to imagine the conversation between dad and mom, and all the people they told today about the a-hole neighbor who gave their kid a pomegranate. You should bring a bag of candy over to the kids house this weekend, otherwise he might be scarred for life! :lol: :lol: :lol:

chickenhead
11-01-2006, 06:55 PM
shit, now you're really making me feel bad.

And I always said that I wouldn't be THAT guy. When I was a kid I always hated the people with the nasty ass candy corn.....considered them about as low as you can go...and I've gone and done them even one better.

It's not my fault!

CryingForTheHorses
11-01-2006, 06:57 PM
Here in South Florida the kids dont need costumes as they dress like clowns with their baggy hanging past their ass jeans.Halloween is the only time these kids look normal.Not a lot of trust here in the south so we dont see very many kids banging on doors for fear of being shot with the new gun law that was signed this year.Safer to "steal" their candy at the store.God bless the brave tricker treaters in South Florida

bigmack
11-01-2006, 06:58 PM
shit, now you're really making me feel bad.
At least your GFriend abided by grabbing something with a "chewy nugget center"

http://www.uni-graz.at/~katzer/pictures/puni_08.jpg

CryingForTheHorses
11-01-2006, 07:00 PM
What I find outrageous about the holiday is that it gives perfectly normal, respectable women from ages 18-50something, living lives of quiet desparation, a viable reason to dress like complete and total floozies.

I 4 one, object.

http://www.fashionvice.com/files/chamber_maid.jpg

I was just wondering if she was the 'trick" or the "treat" :lol:

chickenhead
11-01-2006, 07:01 PM
alright, that's it.

I'm gonna buy that little girl a pony to make up for this.

bigmack
11-01-2006, 07:07 PM
alright, that's it.
I'm gonna buy that little girl a pony to make up for this.
It's your call, but I say dollars to donuts she uses the pony to grind up pomegranates for years to come. The damage will be more long lasting.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/rural/images/horses/pear_orchard.jpg

chickenhead
11-01-2006, 07:10 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: