PDA

View Full Version : Sartin Stories

bigmack
10-31-2006, 08:23 PM
I recently heard a story that DocSartin was originally hired as a psychologist to cure a group of long distance truckers from their horseracing gambling problems. In the end, he felt that gambling wasn't the problem, losing was and he was determined to create a system that turned losers into winners. True/False?

Also, for anyone who was part of the original thugs, any stories of that period are welcome.

46zilzal
10-31-2006, 08:30 PM
I recently heard a story that DocSartin was originally hired as a psychologist to cure a group of long distance truckers from their horseracing gambling problems. In the end, he felt that gambling wasn't the problem, losing was and he was determined to create a system that turned losers into winners. True/False?

Also, for anyone who was part of the original thugs, any stories of that period are welcome.
I don't know if I should tell you. I know the answer.

DJofSD
10-31-2006, 08:35 PM
Well, bigmack, all of that was a bit before my time.

However, I can say I was present on more than one occasion when Doc was the crooner and the life of the party. Give him time to imbibe a few then push a piano his way, he'll entertain the crowds.

Surely, folks will dig up some dirt but I don't give a rat's behind about any of that.

bigmack
10-31-2006, 08:35 PM
I don't know if I should tell you. I know the answer.
Ah Buckaroo, you know it's all in jest. There's not a soul here that would buy you read rags from outer space.

Give him time to imbibe a few then push a piano his way, he'll entertain the crowds..
What was his choice of imbibement and what would he tinkle on the ivories?

Richard
10-31-2006, 08:53 PM
bigmack,
According to a two-part article written by Sartin himself(which I have in my posession)in American Turf Monthly,he was hired for that purpose.

Tom
10-31-2006, 08:55 PM
True.
He decided the cure for losing was not abstaining, but winning. He worked worth a group of truckers, and hammered out the original methodology. One of the contributors was Dan- the- feet- per- second- man.

I wasn't part of the original group, but I DID stay at a Holiday Inn last night!

bigmack
10-31-2006, 08:56 PM
bigmack,
According to a two-part article written by Sartin himself(which I have in my posession)in American Turf Monthly,he was hired for that purpose.
Thanks R. What's the vintage of the art?

DJofSD
10-31-2006, 09:01 PM

I've never heard of that article before. I'd like to read it. Any chance it would be online somewhere -- ATM site, some one else's web page with a scanned copy, etc.?

DJofSD
10-31-2006, 09:02 PM
What was his choice of imbibement and what would he tinkle on the ivories?

I don't recall any of the specifics but likely something distilled and anything before 1960!

Richard
10-31-2006, 09:07 PM
bigmack,
ATM for Jan.-Feb. 2000.Article is about using the Pace Calculator.I believe the article can still be accessed at the ATM website(www.americanturf.com).

bigmack
10-31-2006, 09:12 PM
bigmack,
ATM for Jan.-Feb. 2000.Article is about using the Pace Calculator.I believe the article can still be accessed at the ATM website(www.americanturf.com). (http://www.americanturf.com).)
As Billy Joel once said: "Don't go changing" Thanks.

46zilzal
10-31-2006, 10:32 PM
Ah Buckaroo, you know it's all in jest. There's not a soul here that would buy you read rags from outer space.

I have never put anyone on my ignore list. That has changed.

witchdoctor
10-31-2006, 10:50 PM
Jimmy Bradshaw writes in his new book that he and Howard gave a seminar at BRD back inn the late 1980s. A drunk started pestering Howard and when Howard knocked him out with a single punch. When I asked Jimmy if it was true, he just smiled and said yes.

DJofSD
10-31-2006, 10:53 PM
Didn't Doc use to be a fight promoter?

46zilzal
10-31-2006, 10:54 PM
has many stories about a middleweight and FROM HIM came up with the tandem concept. Bo Bo Olson??

46zilzal
10-31-2006, 11:07 PM
this fellow? story at http://www.americanturf.com/pace/sartinarticle.cfm

The Judge
10-31-2006, 11:15 PM
It was always intimated that Howard and Dick Mitchell got into so sort of drunken brawl after a siminar and a night of drinking. Never did find out what happened there.

46zilzal
10-31-2006, 11:32 PM
Info says the Bo Bo Olson worked with the Teamsters Union later in his life. That might have been the connector truck drivers and Howard Sartin.

njcurveball
11-01-2006, 10:05 AM
Sartin told much of this story himself at the one of the earlier handicapping expos. I believe it was the one from 1990.

I have the cassettes somewhere, so if you are really interested contact me privately and I will give you a list and take a reasonable offer.

Jim

Dick Schmidt
11-02-2006, 03:05 AM
The story of the truck drivers is one of the few stories about Sartin's pre-horseracing life that is actually true. I have heard him tell it many times (more importantly his wife Mary confirmed it) and actually met two of the original group. He first presented the story, together with a vague description of his original FPS method (later called Phase III) in an article in Gambling Times. This story launched his horseracing career. I first met Howard when I wrote an article about his progress (never published) for the mag. At that time, the entire Sartin Methodology was run off the top of Doc's piano.

Interesting times.

Dick

If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague.

Binder
11-02-2006, 05:02 AM
Jimmy Bradshaw writes in his new book that he and Howard gave a seminar at BRD back inn the late 1980s. A drunk started pestering Howard and when Howard knocked him out with a single punch. When I asked Jimmy if it was true, he just smiled and said yes.

Mr Bradshaw's book is about ready to come out
there are about 50 copies left

http://bindfold.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1367

I am not selling Jim's book for myself I just want to help Mr Bradshaw
for all he has helped my Sartin Methodology site

Thank You

Binder