PDA

View Full Version : BC question for those of you who watch races closely

betchatoo
10-31-2006, 06:40 PM
What BC horse(s) have you seen that have just looked outstanding. Regardless of their numbers, what horse has made a move that just really impressed you?

I'm really not very good at watching races. but for me, the horse is a juvenile named Skip Code. His last race at Woodbine he sat patiently waiting for a hole to open. It looked like it might never happen. When it did he exploded so rapidly it was amazing. Won the race easily.

When I look at his numbers they aren't even close to the elite, but I wll be using the horse in my exotics.

DJofSD
10-31-2006, 06:57 PM
Black Tie Affair, 1991 classic comes to mind.

Stevie Belmont
10-31-2006, 08:35 PM
Have not seen everyone...Im trying. These have been impressive to me.

Henny Hughes-Reserves energy earlier and accelerates at will. Strong stride.

Bernardini-Every race I have seen has been a strong gallop before opening up in full stride without being asked for his best.

Gorella-Rates well behind field, and has an explosive rallying kick. Makes up a lot of ground late. Very impressive.

Dreaming of Ana-Beating colts in the Summer was pretty impressive....Opened up under strong urging. Distance should be no problem.

Circular Quay's Hopeful was an explosive come from behind kick. Came like a rocket with his ears pinned back. Sire won the Kentucky Derby over Churchill Downs Strip.

Wait A While-Pounces like a cat. Strides effortlessy into contention and pulls away with ease. Very impressive mover.

Fleet Indian-Rated in last race, but dug in to fend off Balletto...Just the way she would not quit showed gameness. She worked reasonably hard to do it.

Pine Island-Big late mover makes up a lot of ground late with her stride

English Channel-Runs with his head up and fights hard when running. Very strong kick.

George Washington-His last was impressive. Just rated found room and exploded to win that race. Big strider.

Valuist
10-31-2006, 09:06 PM
Are you talking about past Breeders Cups or horses that will be running this year? For past runnings, the most impressive move I've seen was Arazi in the 1991 Juvenile.

I've still got to watch some replays but there's one longshot who made a giant premature move, got the lead and got run down by 2 favorites: Street Sense. No doubt in my mind he was the best horse in the Breeders Futurity, yet he'll be overlooked while Circular Quay and Great Hunter, who weren't as impressive, will be heavier bet.

betchatoo
10-31-2006, 09:13 PM
When I opened the thread I was talking about this years runners.

the_fat_man
10-31-2006, 09:45 PM
Circular Quay's Hopeful was an explosive come from behind kick. Came like a rocket with his ears pinned back. Sire won the Kentucky Derby over Churchill Downs Strip.

Stevie, with all due respect, watch the race again.

Closing against a field that's been used and abused (i.e. everything else in the race had already run) is nothing to write home about.

There was nothing remotely explosive about his move.

This horse was a tremendous BET AGAINST in his next start at Keenland --and got beat, staggering through the lane like a drunk (and this is based on a single viewing of the race).

There are better 2 year olds in Pletcher's barn.

twindouble
10-31-2006, 10:02 PM
Stevie, with all due respect, watch the race again.

Closing against a field that's been used and abused (i.e. everything else in the race had already run) is nothing to write home about.

There was nothing remotely explosive about his move.

This horse was a tremendous BET AGAINST in his next start at Keenland --and got beat, staggering through the lane like a drunk (and this is based on a single viewing of the race).

There are better 2 year olds in Pletcher's barn.

Skinny, I didn't watch race or the replay but you touch on what's important in trip handicapping, that's knowing the make up of the compitition and how the race was run. Any horse hitting his best stride in a field that's faltering can look like a monster.

T.D.

rrpic6
10-31-2006, 10:27 PM
Siren Lure---All of his dirt races since going to Art Sherman. An incredible speed dual from any and/or all of the following: Attila's Storm,Bordonaro, Dubai Escapade,Henny Hughes,Pomeroy,Thor's Echo, Too Much Bling, and War Front, will be sweet music to this closer. AS & WF spit it out first, P & TE fold next, B, DE, HH, and TMB go to an extended dual until SL blows by with 50 yards to go.

Dreaming of Anna---Her Woodbine Stakes win vs. Males was a romp. The time looks average, but the variant was quite slow. She runs her Filly foes into the ground.

Invasor and Bernardini---Gutsy vs. Smooth. They put away Lava Man then go at it like Tiznow and Giant's Causeway and Tiznow vs. Sahkee.

BIG49010
10-31-2006, 11:26 PM
Skip Code looked very bad in his work at CD, he might be a Poly move up, based on the Skippy breeding. His was one of the few they showed on "The Works", they need to change the name of it this year to "The Touts".

I always valued Jill's opinion, and she has not been on the show so far.

point given
11-01-2006, 10:20 PM
I liked the looks of Her Majesty at Keeneland. Her numbers probably are low, but visually, she beat boys circling the field in her MSW, then from the 13 hole made a wide move in the Alcibiades, not enough late. My flier. :cool:

NY BRED
11-02-2006, 05:55 AM
while some of us like to bash tvg, one really great effort is their one hour
spot called the works , which during the bc week(sometimes 1 1/2 weeks
prior to the race), bc entrants are shown working out with commentaries offered by Tom Amoss,Frank lyons and now, Gary Stevens.

skip code"s work was shown this morning(replay from 11/01) and to my
eye, he didn't appear to work or look well, which was the commentary of all three commentators mentioned above, who generally don't agree
on their observations.

I would have loved to bet this guy based on his heritage, but would now
have to back off.

DrugSalvastore
11-02-2006, 06:19 AM
Interestingly enough,

The two 2-year-colts who have clearly impressed me the most this year, Nobiz Like Shobiz and Tiz Wonderful, didl not make the juvenile.