PDA

View Full Version : MNR

ldiatone
10-30-2006, 08:34 PM
hey!
Whats up with MNr race 3? race was to go off 1/2 hr ago. looks like a loop on the tv . jock strike maybe?????
thanks
ldiatone

ryesteve
10-30-2006, 08:47 PM
They cancelled the remainder of the card because of the track conditions

Milleruszk
10-30-2006, 08:52 PM
Track conditions? What......too dark out!!

JustRalph
10-30-2006, 10:47 PM
Track conditions? What......too dark out!!

My 2nd hand source (another thread, CJ) says there is a "hole in the track"

much like the NY Times, I am only repeating what I heard somewhere else

Oh, and BTW, It is George Bush's fault the sinkhole started.

Buddha
10-31-2006, 12:02 AM
I dont really know the root cause, but it seems that the jocks seem to have cancelled because of a hole near the 5/16ths pole. I know that the hole didnt just appear. For years the jocks have complained about holes in the MNR surface. I dont know what makes tonight any different to cancel.

Buddha
10-31-2006, 12:06 AM
Also, for reference, they have cancelled Tuesday 10/31 already as well.

Milleruszk
10-31-2006, 12:09 PM
Also, for reference, they have cancelled Tuesday 10/31 already as well.

Thanks for the headsup! This must be some hole!!!! :eek:

bettheoverlay
10-31-2006, 03:04 PM
Its time for Polytrack to come to the Mountain

Buddha
10-31-2006, 07:21 PM
Its time for Polytrack to come to the Mountain

With my experience of MNR management, the 2-5 million price tag is more than they would want to spend. I hope that it could happen as it appears (although a small sample) to be a safer surface.

BIG49010
10-31-2006, 11:20 PM
I have a horse running on Saturday at MNR, this doesn't sound very good to me. Will they have it fixed soon, or is my horse at risk?

Buddha
10-31-2006, 11:33 PM
I have a horse running on Saturday at MNR, this doesn't sound very good to me. Will they have it fixed soon, or is my horse at risk?

Well they are supposedly winterizing the track this week, so who knows what will go on Saturday. As long as you have a competent jock, you should be fine.

JustRalph
10-31-2006, 11:50 PM
As long as you have a competent jock, you should be fine.

Uh-oh? :lol:

BIG49010
10-31-2006, 11:57 PM
I have Stokes?

Does the winter track favor speed or closers in routes?

rrpic6
11-01-2006, 03:59 AM
I have Stokes?

Does the winter track favor speed or closers in routes?

In the past there, IMO, the first few weeks after winterization, the track is so heavy and slow. The horses seem to tire and stop on a dime. The ones that don't burn themselves up too early seem to have enough left to close. Out of the cloud closers rarely win on either the winterized surface or the current one.

turfeyejoe
11-01-2006, 07:45 AM
I can remember a photo that accompanied a feature story about Mountaineer in the Philadelphia Inquirer some years ago. The picture showed a large board with a diagram of the track drawn in magic marker, with numerous little circles dotted throughout, in the jockeys' room. It was a map, detailing where the potholes were on the track so that all the jockeys would know to avoid them. The horses were so cheap and sore that most fans watching the races figured they couldn't keep a straight course. In reality, the horses were being steered around the potholes by the jockeys who would avoid the holes that dotted the course at all costs.

BIG49010
11-01-2006, 09:14 AM
Does the winterized track help the pothole problem, or just hide it?

I think the last thing you want to do on Breeders Cup day is breakdown a bunch of horses, but who knows

kenwoodallpromos
11-01-2006, 10:02 AM
Does the winterized track help the pothole problem, or just hide it?

I think the last thing you want to do on Breeders Cup day is breakdown a bunch of horses, but who knows
IMHO problems on the 2nd turn are often under the cushion from wear and tear. But it is also the place where the most stress is put on a horse's legs, and many more horses run at speed or near speed on the 2nd turn as the 1st turn.
My idea is to have horses working out 3, 4, or 5f to work out around the 1st turn instead of the 2nd. With sprint races more horses still run around the 2nd turn more during races.

BIG49010
11-01-2006, 01:24 PM
Thanks for all your input, we will run on Saturday, I hope Stokes has a good trip to get us home first and safe.:ThmbUp:

Nicole
11-01-2006, 02:47 PM
Thanks for all your input, we will run on Saturday, I hope Stokes has a good trip to get us home first and safe.:ThmbUp:

What is the name of your horse? And good luck to you.

abuttry
11-02-2006, 02:14 AM
In the past there, IMO, the first few weeks after winterization, the track is so heavy and slow. The horses seem to tire and stop on a dime. The ones that don't burn themselves up too early seem to have enough left to close. Out of the cloud closers rarely win on either the winterized surface or the current one.

This is normally true but last year I got sucked into that theory and it wasn't as bad as it normally is. They keep the track so deep and slow anyway I wouldn't be suprised if times were nearly the same as the middle of october

rrpic6
11-02-2006, 06:01 AM
They keep the track so deep and slow anyway I wouldn't be suprised if times were nearly the same as the middle of october

Don't you mean they keep the horses slow?:D Just once I'd like to here the Mountaineer announcer say "Welcome to Mountaineer, the track is fast, the horses are not". Does Peter Berry have a sense of humor? Jim Dolan would say, in the middle of January, "the track is fast, there is no turf racing"??

abuttry
11-02-2006, 01:39 PM
Don't you mean they keep the horses slow?:D Just once I'd like to here the Mountaineer announcer say "Welcome to Mountaineer, the track is fast, the horses are not". Does Peter Berry have a sense of humor? Jim Dolan would say, in the middle of January, "the track is fast, there is no turf racing"??

This should have been his announcement the other day when they run two races.......................... " Ladies and gentleman may I have your attention It is clear and 65 degrees (Probably the warmest day for the next 4-5 months) and we have a hole in the racetrack. The jockeys are out there stomping down on it and that is a 100% guarantee they are not gonna ride so u might as well go home now instead of waiting as the jockeys watch the tractors make a few attempts to fix the problem and waste another 1/2 hour of your time."

cj
11-02-2006, 02:22 PM
The announcer had no problem defending the horse that broke through the gate and was allowed to race, and rightly so. Where is he on this one, however? You can't be a fair weather poster, even when the weather is fair.