PDA

View Full Version : tragic murder at my local simulcast facility

1st time lasix
10-30-2006, 04:23 PM
On Thursday evening a 55 year old ticket puncher was murdered in the parking lot of my simulcast venue. Her burned body and torched car were found by police a few miles away. There was car window glass in the parking lot. I was told by another employee that she had hit a 1200 trifecta that day and she must have shown her excitement near the wrong type of preditor. A twenty year old crack head was arrested today. Robbery is the suspected motive. What a sad violent way to die.

speedking
10-30-2006, 04:41 PM
That's a damn shame! Where did this occur, 1st TL?

I'm aware of 9 armed robberies inside 3 of the Philadelphia Turf Clubs this year. No one seriously injured, thankfully. Don't know how many occurred outside or that I wasn't informed of.

speedking

Doc
10-30-2006, 05:57 PM
Wow, nine armed robberies inside Philly's Turf Clubs? I read all the papers in Philly and vicinity, and not one made mention of this. Maybe Greenwood greases the palm of the local cops to keep it out of the media - stuff like this would scare away customers.

Speaking of this practice, I've been told by more than one person that there's a lot of stuff that goes on in the Delaware Park slots parking lot, but it never makes the papers, either. Just think, when Philly Park racetrack opens with slots, there'll be ten times the activity in their parking lots. Gives new meaning to the words "Phonebet.com."

Doc

speedking
10-30-2006, 07:07 PM
Wow, nine armed robberies inside Philly's Turf Clubs? I read all the papers in Philly and vicinity, and not one made mention of this. Maybe Greenwood greases the palm of the local cops to keep it out of the media - stuff like this would scare away customers.

Speaking of this practice, I've been told by more than one person that there's a lot of stuff that goes on in the Delaware Park slots parking lot, but it never makes the papers, either. Just think, when Philly Park racetrack opens with slots, there'll be ten times the activity in their parking lots. Gives new meaning to the words "Phonebet.com."

Doc

Doc, there have been at least 6 robberies inside the Center City Turf Club. 2, on back to back nights, At the Northeast Cottman Ave. Club and 1 in the South Philly Turf Club. None made the papers as far as I know and I can't tell how many more occurred that I don't know about or which happened outside.

speedking

1st time lasix
10-31-2006, 09:49 AM
That's a damn shame! Where did this occur, 1st TL?

I'm aware of 9 armed robberies inside 3 of the Philadelphia Turf Clubs this year. No one seriously injured, thankfully. Don't know how many occurred outside or that I wasn't informed of.

speedking Happened at a West coast Florida Dog track operating the simulcast since live racing was not happening. Time was 7:30 on Thursday night prior to clock change so it was at dusk.

The Judge
10-31-2006, 10:00 AM
I am from the west coast so I couldn't wait to go to an OTB. I got my chance in Chicago the year Dear Doctor won the Million. Was I shocked, the first floor was no place for a guy from out of town. I went as high up and paid as much money for the privilege as I could, it got better.

Man that first floor was scary and I'm not easily scared.

Valuist
10-31-2006, 10:01 AM
I am from the west coast so I couldn't wait to go to an OTB. I got my chance in Chicago the year Dear Doctor won the Million. Was I shocked, the first floor was no place for a guy from out of town. I went as high up and paid as much money for the privilege as I could, it got better.

Man that first floor was scary and I'm not easily scared.

Which OTB was that? Was it downtown or in the suburbs?

The Judge
10-31-2006, 10:31 AM
Next to a theater called Chicago. The area was nice as areas go its just that that first floor was a little tuff.

GaryG
10-31-2006, 11:45 AM
The Trackside at Arlington is civil and quite nice, just have to stay on the non-smoking side.

Doc
10-31-2006, 12:20 PM
All of Philly Park's Turf Clubs are very nice, I've never seen or heard of any incidents since this thread. A couple of years ago I was at Philly Park playing the Hong Kong simulcasts at 12:30 a.m. and a big fight broke out right in front of the windows. They sent this 65+ old security guard to break it up ... needless to say, the two pugilists duked it out for about 20 minutes before the bell rang and they retreated to neutral corners. I actually enjoyed the fight - made me forget that I lost my shirt on Hong Kong.

Doc ;)

njcurveball
10-31-2006, 01:38 PM
Is this one you know about?

http://www.northeasttimes.com/2006/0427/turf.html

speedking
10-31-2006, 10:45 PM
Great work finding that piece, NJ. First time I saw anything about this in print. That is exactly the one I was referring to in the northeast, the Cottman Ave Turf Club. I was there the second night, but in the non-smoking area downstairs when it occurred. Didn't know anything about it for a couple hours. Then a period of total confusion set in. They closed all machines and sent the tellers home. People were unable to cash tickets or wager except thru Tiny Tims or self-service machines. We were told they would reopen windows shortly, but it never happened. Total lack of respect for the patrons.

All in all, the Philly Turf Clubs are good facilities except for the Center City (downtown Philly) location. Nice place but a real bad crowd, especially at night when they close the free area in the basement and allow everyone into the upstairs area for free. Then it becomes worse than any NYC OTB I ever came across. One night management got PO'ed at me because I complained about some bum who was passed out on the floor and everybody just stepped over him. They thought it was a joke. Same place that has been robbed at least 6 times in the last 12 months. Exit after 8pm and you find the homeless crowd huddled around and sleeping on the hot air grates while passing the bottles around and begging. And they wondered why I got so upset when a teller yelled across to the manager late one night that he needed some large money for me as I cashed out:mad:

Improvements have been made there. Now they have 2 security guards so they can get a better description of the robbers:bang:

I'm setting up my home office now:jump: .

speedking

GaryG
11-01-2006, 09:00 AM
[QUOTE=speedking]I'm setting up my home office now:jump:/QUOTE]I still like to get out at least 3 days a week. I have a lot of friends at the OTB and just enjoy the fellowship. However, if you are taking your life in your hands it would be somewhat different...:eek:

Suff
11-01-2006, 09:13 AM
Suffolk Downs is in East Boston. Because it is crowded, and people are bouncing around, talking to this one and that one, money changing hands, racing forms being traded back and forth.........Drug Dealers set up shop there.

They fit in, its next to a Subway stop, big parking lot, and junkies can get there easy and out easy. Plus they use the low life's as mules. Dealer takes the money, and tips the junkbox as to who to get the bags from.

I'm old school..been around. I now all the players. I see them around. At Saratoga, Gulfstream. I'll probably see a couple of them at Breeders Cup.

Life imitates art. They think their gangsters. Knowing what I know allows me to have a grasp of the truth. Sick people participating in a brutally cruel lifestyle that entails tragic incidents like the ones discussed here..