View Full Version : Britain attacks US Online Gambling Ban

highnote
10-27-2006, 09:09 PM
http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/061027/britain_online_gambling.html?.v=3

AP
Britain Attacks U.S. Online Gambling Ban
Friday October 27, 11:54 am ET
By Jane Wardell, AP Business Writer
Britain Criticizes U.S. Online Gaming Ban As It Prepares for International Summit

LONDON (AP) -- Britain's culture secretary on Friday compared the U.S. crackdown on online gambling to the failed alcohol ban of the Prohibition as she prepared to host an international summit on Internet gambling next week.
ADVERTISEMENT

Tessa Jowell warned that the U.S. ban on Internet gambling would make unregulated offshore sites the "modern equivalent of speakeasies," illegal bars that opened in 1920s America when alcohol was banned.

U.S. Congress caught the gambling industry by surprise earlier this month when it added to an unrelated bill a provision that would make it illegal for banks and credit-card companies to settle payments for online gambling sites. President Bush signed the law Oct. 14.

The decision closed off the most lucrative region in a market worth $15.5 billion this year in "spend" value -- the amount gambling companies win from their clients, or the amount gamblers lose.

Several London-based Internet gambling companies and a handful in Europe and Australia subsequently sold off or shut down their U.S. operations, losing around 80 percent of their combined business in the process.

U.S. officials have declined to participate in Tuesday's gambling summit in London, where lawmakers from 30 countries will discuss ways to regulate the industry, including the protection of minors and keeping the industry free of crime.

Is anyone angry that U.S. officials have declined to participate in this summit? After all, they are going to discuss ways to protect minors and prevent crime.

Maybe the people who voted for this really don't care about children or crime? You'd think someone would represent the U.S. in an official capacity.

kenwoodallpromos
10-27-2006, 11:50 PM

Is anyone angry that U.S. officials have declined to participate in this summit? After all, they are going to discuss ways to protect minors and prevent crime.

Maybe the people who voted for this really don't care about children or crime? You'd think someone would represent the U.S. in an official capacity.
I guess USA internet gamblers do not have any stronger of a union than USA. Isn't it many Brit and European possessions who have the sites, not the USA?

Ponyplayr
10-28-2006, 08:29 PM

Like they give a rats ass about children...This is about $15 Billion.. Screw them.

Tom
10-29-2006, 12:03 AM
Maybe the Brits will come back and liberate us from our opressors.

Our founding Fathers were in favor of racing:

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences betting too much racing than to those betting too small a degree of it."
-- Thomas Jefferson

"I only regret that I have but one bankroll to lose for my country"
-- Nathan Hale (Sept 22, 1776, before being executed as a spy by the British)

"When the people find that they can win themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic."
-- Benjamin Franklin

"No nation was ever ruined by internet wagering, even seemingly the most disadvantageous."-- Benjamin Franklin, Principles of Trade, 1774

"Millions for Pic 4's, but not one cent for tribute."-- Representative Robert Goodloe Harper, Address, June 18, 1798 (Harper was the Chairman of the Committee on Ways and Means)

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of on-line wagering, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it."-- Thomas Paine, The American Crisis, No. 4, September 11, 1777

"He who dares not bet on-line cannot be honest."
-- Thomas Paine

highnote
10-29-2006, 12:51 AM
Maybe the Brits will come back and liberate us from our opressors.

Our founding Fathers were in favor of racing:

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences betting too much racing than to those betting too small a degree of it."
-- Thomas Jefferson

What about... "Give me liberty, or give me three to one."

or

"These are the photo finishes that try men's souls."

Oh... and I hope you're not making fun of my signatures!

betchatoo
10-29-2006, 11:00 AM
How about, "Surrender, hell! I'll take the 5 horse in the next race."

DJofSD
10-29-2006, 11:21 AM
I doubt the amount of cash flow to the British bookmakers even comes close to the amount of money sent from the U.S. back home to Mexico.

highnote
10-29-2006, 11:37 AM
I doubt the amount of cash flow to the British bookmakers even comes close to the amount of money sent from the U.S. back home to Mexico.

Which one of our founding fathers said that?

:D

DJofSD
10-29-2006, 11:46 AM
Which one of our founding fathers said that?

I believe it was this guy. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Houston)

PlanB
10-29-2006, 12:09 PM
Why The Ban? It was the POKER rooms. HS & College kids (a) losing $$;
(b) winning $$; and (c) NOT ATTENDING CLASSES or DOING POORLY
in SCHOOL. Parents put enormous pressure on Congress. What can be
done, I don't know. Again, is this another instance of lack of parental
clout? Shirking responsibility? Or is the lure too great when you see how
great poker is?

highnote
10-29-2006, 12:19 PM
Why The Ban? It was the POKER rooms. HS & College kids (a) losing $$;
(b) winning $$; and (c) NOT ATTENDING CLASSES or DOING POORLY
in SCHOOL. Parents put enormous pressure on Congress. What can be
done, I don't know. Again, is this another instance of lack of parental
clout? Shirking responsibility? Or is the lure too great when you see how
great poker is?

This is the first time I've heard that high school kids were losing money and missing school. That is a concern. College kids, if they're 18 or older, are adults. If they have a problem, they should get help -- just like with booze. But prohibition is not the answer.

Also for high school kids, prohibition is not the answer. Otherwise, booze would still be illegal. Where the hell are the parents?

For me, Poker is great in small doses. After a few hours I always get bored, then I don't play again for months.

PlanB
10-29-2006, 12:23 PM
I don't have evidence, but recall when you discovered some hot hobby.
It wouldn't surprise me that HS kids get a double thrill out of proving how
good they are beating the game. And if a parent is paying ~35K a year
for their college kid & he's playing poker in his room until 3, then ............

Pace Cap'n
10-29-2006, 02:32 PM
[QUOTE= whatwouldyoudoifD2Uandkreedandplanbtypedlikethis?
[/QUOTE]

banagainman

highnote
10-29-2006, 04:33 PM
I don't have evidence, but recall when you discovered some hot hobby.
It wouldn't surprise me that HS kids get a double thrill out of proving how
good they are beating the game. And if a parent is paying ~35K a year
for their college kid & he's playing poker in his room until 3, then ............

Just because mom and dad are paying 35K for junior to go to college and junior has a gambling problem does not mean that everyone else without a gambling problem should be prohibited from playing poker online.

I knew a lot of drunks in college who flunked out. Booze is still legal in most places. I'd rather see my kids bet on horses or poker than consume alcohol. Gambling does not cause cell damage. Plus, understanding the math behind gambling can help in many walks of life -- like the stock market or insurance.

Personally, I don't get a big thrill out of online poker. My concern is politicians are trying to take one of our freedoms is being taken away. The problem is, people are still going to gamble online. And the money is going to go offshore to unregulated and untaxed bookmakers.

But no one seems to care too much, so I suppose I probably shouldn't either.

C'est la vie. (Pardon my French -- or is that correct?)

Dave Schwartz
10-29-2006, 05:37 PM
The biggest problem I have with what they have done with this legislation is that they did it because the gov't wasn't making money from it even though they said it was for moral reasons.

Please...

PlanB
10-29-2006, 05:39 PM
MOMS WRITE & VOTE ... and women have an edge. Write your congressmen;
I'm sure you did already.

highnote
10-29-2006, 06:13 PM
The biggest problem I have with what they have done with this legislation is that they did it because the gov't wasn't making money from it even though they said it was for moral reasons.

Please...

agreed

PaceAdvantage
10-29-2006, 11:24 PM

Seriously, where do you come up with this crap?

Vigors
10-29-2006, 11:36 PM
I've missed alot since the Gambling ban has been signed...I've noted that

BETCRIS and possibly others have reacted in different way's...My question

is ( and I apoligize for not keeping abrest of this matter which still

seem's in flux ) is there ANY site where, living in the U.S.,I can wager on

U.K. and other foriegn tracks ???

highnote
10-30-2006, 12:45 AM

As a matter of fact, I did. Not only did I write my congressmen, but I also wrote several other prominent ones -- Kyle and another one whose name escapes me, but is staunchly anti-online gambling.