PDA

View Full Version : DVR Alert: NUMB3RS

PaceAdvantage
10-27-2006, 06:04 PM
The CBS show NUMB3RS airing tonight will feature a horse racing/handicapping/murder theme....might be good for a few laughs.....:lol:

kenwoodallpromos
10-27-2006, 06:10 PM
I will watch!

bigmack
10-27-2006, 06:34 PM
The promo touts:

Don and the team investigate a suspicious death at a horse track. When Charlie starts looking into the crime, he uncovers something that will send the investigation into an entirely different direction

I'm now taking action on the something that sends them in a different direction.

My guess: A polytrack salesman was found to be running a pavement roller over the track at night to increase breakdowns

Current odds of happening: 7/2

http://i21.ebayimg.com/05/i/07/59/ac/bc_2.JPG

DJofSD
10-27-2006, 07:05 PM
Hmmmm...I just checked my Season Pass for any new upcoming episodes yesterday -- didn't see any. Me thinks this is a repeat. (But still better than 85% of the crap that's out there).

PaceAdvantage
10-27-2006, 08:13 PM
According to my source, this is a new episode....

DJofSD
10-27-2006, 10:00 PM
I think you're right -- I apparently had a conflict with L & O being higher up on the prioirty list.

Now I wonder how many episodes I missed. NBD since they'll rerun them next year.

dylbert
10-27-2006, 10:38 PM
30 minutes in... Charlie (the math genius) hasn't offered next Sartin Methodology, Beyer Speed Figure...

Writer(s) of episode focusing on inefficient market theory of using arbitrage...

Mmm, using system that incorporates knowledge of cheating...

Dead Pick 6 winners... organized crime...

Maybe Charlie's dad will hit late double and take him out for nice steak dinner! LOL...

JustRalph
10-28-2006, 12:06 AM
what are the odds they would accuse everybody and their brother of cheating and fixing races...........lacks imagination and has been done before.

DJofSD
10-28-2006, 12:31 AM
Writer(s) of episode focusing on inefficient market theory of using arbitrage...

Shades of Dr. Z.

PaceAdvantage
10-28-2006, 03:10 AM
There's an hour of my life I won't ever get back (well, more like 45 minutes, as I FF through the commercials.....)

Seeing as this show has been around for a while, I trust past episodes have been better than this one (I have never watched this show in the past). Forget about the fact that it was about horse racing....I thought the writing and acting was a little harsh.....

Anyway, enough of my TV critic impersonation....

kenwoodallpromos
10-28-2006, 02:19 PM
I enjoyed it! Term "railbird" used by someone with no knowledge (pun!) of racing!
Moral of the show- with a little math you can win 30 in a row; if fixed, none; if you know how it's fixed (because you lose!), 90 in a row! And if you are a geek you get the hot babe! Talk about longshots!! :lol:
Maybe it was really about harness racing!LOL!!

bigmack
10-28-2006, 03:10 PM
I dialed it up on the old Tivo this AM and Tivo looked back in disdain as if to say; "what did you record this drivel for?"

Is the guy that was formerly on Northern Exposure trying to play a tough NY'r? If so, it ain't workin'

pressman
10-28-2006, 06:52 PM
According to the tv guide scroll the episode is about a guy who shoots up a FBI office so I dont know whos right

banacek
10-28-2006, 06:54 PM
There's an hour of my life I won't ever get back (well, more like 45 minutes, as I FF through the commercials.....)

I've got it taped, haven't watched it. I take it that I shouldn't bother.

PaceAdvantage
10-29-2006, 10:49 PM
Maybe I was a bit too harsh.

JustRalph
10-30-2006, 04:24 AM
I've got it taped, haven't watched it. I take it that I shouldn't bother.

If you have HD, watch it. I have noticed that this show has some of the best high definition work on Tv right now.

andicap
10-30-2006, 09:47 AM
I watched it, and enjoyed some of it -- especially where Judd Hirsch -- the dad -- is explaining handicapping and the pari-mutuel system to the math genius.

I didn't think the sport got a black eye out of the show, just as stories about people cheating on Wall Street don't discourage people from investing in stocks, etc.
(SPOILER ALERT FOR THOSE WHO WANT TO CATCH THE RERUN)
The cheaters were actually ruthless killers who were using the money to launder their drug sales. Another baddie-- the track president -- would funnel unemployed job applicants to the villians. The saps would "win" the pik-6 and then get bumped off by the nasty drug dealers who would use the dough (which wasn't in their name and thus couldn't be traced to them) to launder the drug money.
The crooks were fixing races to win the pik 6's and the hook for the story was a math genius who had come up with an algorithm for picking winners. When he started losing he figured out (or actually his girl friend, another geek), that the races were being fixed and he factored that into his equations and won 30 straight races by picking the horses who would run 2nd.

At one point the FBI agents wondered why someone would come up with a system to pick 2nd place winners, and I was screaming at the set, "to key exotics, stupid!" Or bet place.

Anyway, the ending was disappointed since it fell back on the cliche of evil drug dealers instead of what I hoped it would be -- some clever race-fixers a la the Breeders Cup computer gang.

I gave it 2 1/2 stars out of 4 for the funny stuff with Judd Hirsch and the explanation one of the geniuses gave on how to actually win at the game. It suggested winning was as possible at the races as it is on Wall Street by taking advantage of what is sometimes an inefficient public market. \
Best rational argument I've ever seen on TV or movies for betting on the races in a serious, professional manner.

WHen I explain to people what I do, that is a great way to put it.

PaceAdvantage
10-30-2006, 07:17 PM
I particularly enjoyed it when they would spout off about all these "fixed" races (and from the gist of things, there were LOTS of them), yet you never found out how the races were fixed or how the fixed races were detected.

A lot swept under the rug, but I nitpick I suppose.
The whole show centered around FIXED RACES, MURDER, and ORGANIZED CRIME at the racetrack. Not a black eye? Maybe, maybe not, all things considered, but more of the same dumb-ass cliches....

BlueShoe
10-30-2006, 08:28 PM
During the recently concluded Fairplex meeting an episode of this show was being filmed there.It was on a Monday when the fair was closed but racing took place.Part of the grandstand was lined off and signs posted telling patrons that they might be filmed in the crowd scenes.Being blase about this sort of thing,went as far away as I could get and stayed there.This was only about six weeks ago;it would seem unlikely that this episode would be aired so quickly,but then again,am not familiar with showbiz schedules.Did not see this program because was traveling that day;any SoCal guys watching it would recognize Fairplex,so do you think that it was the episode I saw being shot?If so,will try to catch the rerun just out of curiosity.There is also the possibility that this racing program was not the one shot at Fairplex and that we will have it aired at a later date.

PaceAdvantage
10-30-2006, 08:31 PM
My guess, as I watched it, was Fairplex, as there was no turf course.....

I think we have the answer after your post BlueShoe....you shoulda stumbled onto the set and unfurled a huge PaceAdvantage.Com banner!!! :lol:

Tom
10-30-2006, 08:38 PM
That gives me an idea....

SUFF!

GET ON TV SATURDAY with your PA shirt-we'll make it worth your while.
Anyone else in? Put me down for $20. :jump:

JustRalph
10-30-2006, 10:49 PM
My guess, as I watched it, was Fairplex, as there was no turf course.....

I think we have the answer after your post BlueShoe....you shoulda stumbled onto the set and unfurled a huge PaceAdvantage.Com banner!!! :lol:

Now that would have been cheating!!!

Observer
10-31-2006, 02:07 PM
During the recently concluded Fairplex meeting an episode of this show was being filmed there. ... This was only about six weeks ago;it would seem unlikely that this episode would be aired so quickly...

There was a split-second shot where you could see the top of a ferris wheel in the background. It definitely could be easily missed while watching the show .. but definitely let you know it was Fairplex, if you did catch it.

As for the show itself .. don't like it .. never have in the couple of times I've given it a chance .. and this episode only confirmed my feelings.

kenwoodallpromos
10-31-2006, 02:43 PM
"Part of the grandstand was lined off and signs posted telling patrons that they might be filmed in the crowd scenes"
Is that so all the Mafia hit men who are Really stealing pick 6's could hide?LOL!!

bigmack
10-31-2006, 03:03 PM
In other TV/Horse Racing News:

UNTITLED RUSSO BROTHERS PROJECT (ABC, New!) - ABC is developing a horse racing drama loosely based on the relationship between renowned Churchill Downs trainer Jerry Romans and his sons. Anthony and Joe Russo ("Lucky," "Arrested Development") and 20th Century Fox Television are behind the project, which tracks son Bruce as he returns home to help run the family's horse racing business with his brother Dale after their father suffers a stroke. Bruce Romans himself, who first pitched the idea of making the story of his family into a TV series, is expected to serve as a consultant. Joe Russo will write, direct and executive produce the project, which has a pilot script order, with brother Anthony. The Russos plan to film the pilot in Louisville, where the show is set, using the Romans' stables, horses and jockeys.

andicap
10-31-2006, 06:45 PM
In other TV/Horse Racing News:

UNTITLED RUSSO BROTHERS PROJECT (ABC, New!) - ABC is developing a horse racing drama loosely based on the relationship between renowned Churchill Downs trainer Jerry Romans and his sons. Anthony and Joe Russo ("Lucky," "Arrested Development") and 20th Century Fox Television are behind the project, which tracks son Bruce as he returns home to help run the family's horse racing business with his brother Dale after their father suffers a stroke. Bruce Romans himself, who first pitched the idea of making the story of his family into a TV series, is expected to serve as a consultant. Joe Russo will write, direct and executive produce the project, which has a pilot script order, with brother Anthony. The Russos plan to film the pilot in Louisville, where the show is set, using the Romans' stables, horses and jockeys.

About 1 in 10 pilots get picked up so don't get your hopes up.