PDA

View Full Version : Give me $800/hr - I'll get you 24 years

bigmack
10-23-2006, 05:51 PM
Attorney for J Skilling, Daniel Petrocelli commands $800/hr and I believe he billed out about $30+ Million on the case for which Skilling received 24 years.

Q1: How do you charge someone $800/hr and not laugh youself silly when they pay the bill.

Q2: What would an attorney have to do for you to cough up $800/hr?

twindouble
10-23-2006, 06:25 PM
Attorney for J Skilling, Daniel Petrocelli commands $800/hr and I believe he billed out about $30+ Million on the case for which Skilling received 24 years.

Q1: How do you charge someone $800/hr and not laugh youself silly when they pay the bill.

My first thought can't be posted here. :eek:

The only thing that's worth $800 hr is, Well even she don't exist. :lol:

Snag
10-23-2006, 06:32 PM

Hehe, first Skilling did it to the company and stockholders and then he gets it from his mouth piece.

delayjf
10-23-2006, 06:55 PM
Who gets first crack at Skilling estate, Attorney or Claimants / State.

Overlay
10-23-2006, 07:17 PM
Maybe Petrocelli was working on a contingency basis like the personal injury lawyers in the ads on TV who make a point of mentioning that they get paid only if you win. :rolleyes:

Steve 'StatMan'
10-23-2006, 10:20 PM
BigMack: Q2: What would an attorney have to do for you to cough up $800/hr?

TwinDouble: The only thing that's worth $800 hr is, Well even she don't exist. :lol:

Well, for me, if she did exist, she sure wouldn't be pretending to be a lawyer! :lol:

betchatoo
10-24-2006, 07:58 AM
BigMack: Q2: What would an attorney have to do for you to cough up $800/hr?

TwinDouble: The only thing that's worth $800 hr is, Well even she don't exist. :lol:

Well, for me, if she did exist, she sure wouldn't be pretending to be a lawyer! :lol:

You mean you wouldn't want to do role reversal and screw a lawyer for a change? :D

The Judge
10-25-2006, 05:52 AM
If he got him off then would he be worth $800 an hour? Probably so and Skilling certainly felt he was worth $800 and hour at the time. The sad fact is most people don't know what a good lawyer is. They go on reputations and public persona what the papers and what the media says.

I remember the lawyer for Robert Blake (Little Beaver, Mickey of Our Gang) was destroying the states case point by point yet he was being character assisnated by all the attorney guests on Court T.V . I couldn't understand it. Yet the attorney in the Petterson case was on T.V making statements about, proof someone else would be produced and things he couldn't possilbly know and he struted around like a rooster and the attorneys on Court T.V couldn't get enought of him and just went on and on about how great he was.

Many lawyers get big reputation from well know cases that they "lose" it seems to enhance their reputation rather then diminish them.

highnote
10-25-2006, 09:42 AM
Who gets first crack at Skilling estate, Attorney or Claimants / State.

I don't know about Skilling, but I heard that if a person dies before they are tried, the estate gets the money and the money can not be taken from them. So now that Ken Lay is dead, his family gets to keep his money.

Ken Lay should have have faked his death.

twindouble
10-25-2006, 10:12 AM
I don't know about Skilling, but I heard that if a person dies before they are tried, the estate gets the money and the money can not be taken from them. So now that Ken Lay is dead, his family gets to keep his money.

Ken Lay should have have faked his death.

The appeals process sucks to no end, in my mind when found guilty, your guilty dead or alive. I would venture to say, the majority of cases that are won on appeal was due to some vague technicality not that someone was innocent of the crime.

The Judge
10-25-2006, 10:42 AM
I have never heard of death stopping an action for "fraud" or any other illegal act to get back ill gotten gains your action is now against the estate.

If I robbed a bank and get away with 1 million dollars and I'm killed two days later in a shoot out with the police while trying to avoid a road block and the 1 million is found in the trunck of the car I doubt that my wife and kids would get the money as part of my estate.

Now for the tricky part ,some sort of deal is always reached where the lawyers for both sides get a large share and the wrong doers family get to keep homes, cars , jewlery, and money in certain accounts ( retirement,
insurance)maybe considered exempt from attachment in normal cases.

highnote
10-25-2006, 03:56 PM
I have never heard of death stopping an action for "fraud" or any other illegal act to get back ill gotten gains your action is now against the estate.

If I robbed a bank and get away with 1 million dollars and I'm killed two days later in a shoot out with the police while trying to avoid a road block and the 1 million is found in the trunck of the car I doubt that my wife and kids would get the money as part of my estate.

Now for the tricky part ,some sort of deal is always reached where the lawyers for both sides get a large share and the wrong doers family get to keep homes, cars , jewlery, and money in certain accounts ( retirement,
insurance)maybe considered exempt from attachment in normal cases.

You may be correct. I am not a lawyer. I heard someone at work saying the Lay's estate gets to keep the money. Maybe if it has all been spent, how can the money be returned. Can you force a family member of Ken Lay to sell a house that may have been a gift from Ken Lay?

If a person robs a bank for a million dollars, buys his mother a house, spends the rest of the money and then two years later ends up dead, can the house be taken from the mother?

Interesting hypotheticals.

bigmack
10-25-2006, 04:03 PM
When the criminal case against Lay was vacated, so too were the prosecutor's efforts to seize assets from Lay. No way could they freeze the assets any longer. If they want to go after the loot they must do it in civil court.

highnote
10-25-2006, 04:08 PM
When the criminal case against Lay was vacated, so too were the prosecutor's efforts to seize assets from Lay. No way could they freeze the assets any longer. If they want to go after the loot they must do it in civil court.

Will they go after the loot?

bigmack
10-25-2006, 04:17 PM
Will they go after the loot?
They say yes but it's very difficult 2 do and it will take years.

highnote
10-25-2006, 04:48 PM
They say yes but it's very difficult 2 do and it will take years.

I'm sure the money will be long gone by then.

The Judge
10-26-2006, 09:54 AM
Correct this is why a compromise is the rule of the day but only after the fees have reach a high point. The new law clerk is billed out at xxxx amount per hour the main lawyer shows up for the photos.