PDA

View Full Version : CCleaner Crapped Out

Pace Cap'n
10-21-2006, 11:24 AM
My aging computer--Win98SE--has suddenly refused to run Crap Cleaner. When I click on cc, I get the blue screen with the fatal exception bs.

I have un-installed and re-downloaded and re-installed with the same results. Other applications are working fine.

Any suggestions?

Dave Schwartz
10-21-2006, 11:28 AM
re-install windows from scratch.

The nature of windows is that periodically it becomes unstable, much more so with Win98 but XP as well.

Dave Schwartz

Bala
10-21-2006, 08:13 PM
".......My aging computer--Win98SE........"
If it's not broken why fix it?

On an old operating system it is unwise to run any type of cleanup utility. You will find a high likelihood of deleting an important file. Lazy programmers occasionally place valuable info in all those .tmp/.temp folders.

Incidentally, on Micro$haft's web site – they recommended not to run registry cleaners and not to intermediately clean out your prefetch folder. Many experts disagree with this position.

Dave is right. Over time the windows {all versions - including vista} registry gets fat and bloated. Seriously slowing down all your apps. Only real way to solve this beast is to do a fresh install of windows. Utility software is nothing more than a band aid on a leaking dam. BTW; apple and linux do not have this problem. {sigh}

Dave Schwartz
10-21-2006, 11:37 PM
Bala,

Solid advice.

I do, peridoically, kill my pre-fetch folder and have not (to-date) experienced any problems (that I can trace to pre-fetch).

Since it takes me roughly 25 hours to bring a new machine up to speed, I generally buy a newer, faster, shiner computer and load up on that one then kill the old one.

That way my sons get nice sound and video system upgrades as well. <G>

Dave

Tom
10-22-2006, 12:09 PM
That way my sons get nice sound and video system upgrades as well. <G>

Dave

Good idea,DAD! :D