PDA

View Full Version : Modern Pace Handicapping

hchavezj
10-19-2006, 05:24 PM
Hello everyone for many years now I have been handicapping using the origingal MPH software that I think Ken Massa wrote I belive that this is the best,easiest to use software I have ever used. I really enjoy handicapping the races by hand and manually entering them into the MPH software. Age and work/family commitements only allow me to handicap a few times per month.

This is the original MPH software,it allowed me to use beyer speed figures to adjust times,it would display results in feet per second or actual times and had a betting line to boot. It also allowed me to keep track profiles and decision models all of it manual entry but I like handicapping that way
Well yesterday I had a computer crash, my hard drive is ruined, I took out my trusty old floppy of MPH to install and then came the disapointment when I realized all the files on that floppy no longer exist.I dont know why, I have been using it for years and it is something I enjoyed very much.

I was hoping someone on this board might be able to tell me where I can purchase a copy of the original MPH.I enjoy it so much even after 30 years of handicapping I think I would likely stop if I could not use this software anylonger. I know trackmaster has a version but I really liked the version I have been using, I had years of track profiles in there too, but I wouldnt mind starting over again as long as I can find another copy .

Well thank you for your time.

witchdoctor
10-19-2006, 05:55 PM
Try This
http://www.trackmaster.com/retail/3rdparty.htm

hchavezj
10-19-2006, 06:13 PM
Thank you for the link witchdoctor. I had already looked at that program but it will not adjust running lines using the beyer speed rating. I am also unsure if it will keep track profilesor a decision model or if it has a betting line. I really liked the old dos version. Thank you for taking the time to respond.

shanta
10-19-2006, 06:18 PM
Thank you for the link witchdoctor. I had already looked at that program but it will not adjust running lines using the beyer speed rating. I am also unsure if it will keep track profilesor a decision model or if it has a betting line. I really liked the old dos version. Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Senor Chavez,

Here is a link to Ken Massa website. You can email him from there. Maybe he can help you out.

http://www.homebased2.com/km/htrinfo.htm

Richie :)

hchavezj
10-19-2006, 06:26 PM
I had alread sent an email to Ken, not even he has a copy! So I am probably out of luck, but I hope someone out there who reads this might have a copy. Thank you for your reply.

Light
10-19-2006, 08:29 PM
A variety of companies specialize in data recovery services. They are able to take a damaged hard drive, and generally recover all data that is stored on it, placing it onto a set of CDs or DVDs for upload to a new, functioning hard drive.

Dave Schwartz
10-19-2006, 09:42 PM
Is it possible that the floppy drive is bad instead of the floppy disk?

Next question... You didn't, by chance, store it in a metal box, did you?

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

hchavezj
10-20-2006, 11:38 AM
I have been reading posts here for a long time and I know there have been many arguments and accusations, but I would just like to thank the members of this board. I had several people respond and offer to help, I hope that one day I will be able to repay the members of this board for their kindness. Thank you all very much.

PlanB
10-20-2006, 07:58 PM
HchavezJ .... what a strange nic, and stranger still that you did not have
(a) an internal back-up copy of that program or (b) and external copy.
Why is that?

ryesteve
10-20-2006, 10:40 PM
HchavezJ .... what a strange nic, and stranger still that you did not have
(a) an internal back-up copy of that program or (b) and external copy.
Why is that?
Stop acting like a jerk. It's not as if no one's ever lost data without having a backup before.

plainolebill
10-21-2006, 05:03 AM
I don't think he's acting

PlanB
10-21-2006, 12:50 PM
I'm really a sensative guy, way down. Sorry for your data loss HchavezJ.

KYJACK
10-21-2006, 01:37 PM
You didn't, by chance, store it in a metal box, did you?

Regards,
Dave Schwartz Dave
Please explain - say it isn't so!

I've got 150+ floppy disk backups, going back to the DOS days, in a shielded BUD Chassis Box! I thought they would be safe & secure! :eek:

Jack

Dave Schwartz
10-21-2006, 02:02 PM
When you put magnetic materials in a metal box for a prolonged time the box demagnetizes the media.

(Don't bother asking me how I found THIS out.)

Dave

Pace Cap'n
10-21-2006, 03:44 PM
What is a BUD Chassis Box?

TRM
10-22-2006, 12:27 AM
hchavezj,

I may have the original diskette in my archive files.......let me dig around for it.

KYJACK
10-22-2006, 12:41 PM
What is a BUD Chassis Box?Sorry for the outdated reference!

A chassis box is a metal box usually used to build electronic circuits in or on. Real popular before computers back in the days of vacuum tubes, Amateur "Ham" Radio, and home electronics construction. Here's an example - midway down the page you can see an overhead view of the radio's inside chassis with tubes and stuff mounted on it.
(http://www.radiowrench.com/siltronix/rs00005.html

"BUD" is the name of a big manufacturer of chassis boxes.
http://www.budind.com/view.php?part=al-ch

Put a metal bottom plate on the bottom of the box, and the electrical wiring inside is shielded, i.e. protected, from any external electromagnetic radiation, interferrence, noise, etc.

So, I though that putting magnetic floppy disks inside one for storage would be good protection for them! :bang:

Jack

KYJACK
10-22-2006, 12:51 PM
When you put magnetic materials in a metal box for a prolonged time the box demagnetizes the media.

(Don't bother asking me how I found THIS out.)

DaveDave

Thanks for the advisory!

There might still be hope for the data! A few months ago, I was able to read some magnetic tape cartridges (DC2120), recorded in the late 90s and back 'em up on CDs. They came from the same enclosure.

Jack

Dave Schwartz
10-22-2006, 03:07 PM
I think some learned person once told me that the non-magnetic mass of the contents of the box affects the speed of magnetic degeneration.

Dave

Light
10-22-2006, 03:27 PM
CD's and Dvd's dont last forever either.The pressed variety lasts longer than the burned ones.Material degradation can make the surface unreadable to the laser beam.

46zilzal
10-22-2006, 04:54 PM
CD's and Dvd's dont last forever either.The pressed variety lasts longer than the burned ones.Material degradation can make the surface unreadable to the laser beam.
you can now buy HUGE back up hard drives very cheaply so you can re-copy CD's or DVD's as they wear.

PlanB
10-22-2006, 07:39 PM
Thank You one & all for such illuminations. But Mr HchavezJ is in a pickle NOW.
Or maybe dave schwartz is selling non-magnetic boxes too. One very easy
way to protect all proggys & data is to use 2 separate puters: do internal
back ups on both & keep a external copy from time to time. Its a 2 way
insurance. But thats not NOW; so get him a copy please.

ldiatone
10-23-2006, 09:11 AM
Hello
i have MPH v 1.4 from trackmaster. i can enter my own pacelines and also use whatever speed figs i want. it's all on the set up screen.
ldiat

Dave Schwartz
10-23-2006, 10:39 AM
Or maybe dave schwartz is selling non-magnetic boxes too.

Not complicated... Wal-Mart.

Dave

Lefty
10-23-2006, 11:35 AM
Yeah, non-magnetic boxes are all over the place. They're made of that great material....cardboard

Tom
10-23-2006, 07:00 PM
Yeah, non-magnetic boxes are all over the place. They're made of that great material....cardboard

I bought one today.
It came in a box. A cardboard one.
Now I gots two! :p