PDA

View Full Version : When the PPs are just plain WRONG

PriceAnProbability
10-19-2006, 02:29 AM
This happens more than I like to see, where the pps list a horse as being somewhere at a certain call point, but then the video replay shows something totally different.

Anyone else ever catch this?

Valuist
10-19-2006, 10:52 AM
I have seen this. I've seen running lines like 1 1/2 behind, 1 1/2 behind, 12 3/4 lengths behind, 2 behind. When you see that, you know there's likely been a mistake.

I remember once back in the 80s, before the DRF would notate the country a horse was bred in if it was outside the U.S, there was a race at Hawthorne with a horse named Heart of Steel. A friend asked me who I liked and I said Heart of Steel. He looked at me funny and said the horse was a rat who was almost certain to run dead last. "He was eased in his last two," he told me. I looked at the DRF. I asked see his DRF. Sure enough, there clearly was two different Heart of Steels. Juvenal Diaz, a very good rider but known by locals to be of the Randy Moss mentality (the football player, not the writer) was riding. Diaz would normally never take a mount that figured to be 50-1. I assumed my DRF was correct and my friends was wrong. The horse was 15-1 about 8-10 minutes to post. He eventually got bet late and came down to 5-1 by post time. He sat the picture perfect trip, 3rd about 3 lengths behind 2 duelers. He blew the field away by about 10. We were laughing so hard and another acquaintance came by and couldn't believe we bet that horse. I showed him my DRF and he just exploded; fired his DRF at the wall and stormed out. Sometime not too long after that, the DRF started notating foreign bred horses.