PDA

View Full Version : Ken Lay beats the Rap! one way or another

JustRalph
10-17-2006, 04:44 PM
http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/10/17/D8KQJQK00.html

HOUSTON _ A federal judge Tuesday vacated the conviction of Enron's
late founder Kenneth Lay, wiping out a jury's verdict that he committed fraud and conspiracy in one of the biggest corporate frauds in U.S. history.
Lay was convicted of 10 counts of fraud, conspiracy and lying to banks in two separate cases on May 25. Enron's collapse in 2001 wiped out thousands of jobs, more than $60 billion in market value and more than $2 billion in pension plans.

Lay died of heart disease July 5 while vacationing with his wife, Linda, in Aspen, Colo.

U.S. District Judge Sim Lake, in a ruling Tuesday, agreed with Lay's lawyers that his death required erasing his convictions. They cited a 2004 ruling from the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals that found that a defendant's death pending appeal extinguished his entire case because he hadn't had a full opportunity to challenge the conviction and the government shouldn't be able to punish a dead defendant or his estate.

Tuesday's ruling thwarts the government's bid to seek $43.5 million in ill-gotten gains prosecutors allege he pocketed by participating in Enron's fraud. The government could still pursue those gains in civil court, but they would have to compete with other litigants, if any, also pursuing Lay's estate.

linrom1
10-17-2006, 05:23 PM
The legal precedent makes no sense at all. They convict people in abstention even when they are dead. Why should death vacate a jury verdict? And under what grounds would even Ken Lay file an appeal?

chickenhead
10-17-2006, 05:36 PM
that's a pretty good motive for murder...estate loses 43 mil if Ken lives?

better check out the wifey...

JustRalph
10-17-2006, 05:41 PM
The legal precedent makes no sense at all. They convict people in abstention even when they are dead. Why should death vacate a jury verdict? And under what grounds would even Ken Lay file an appeal?

you obviously don't know the law. You don't know what you are talking about. Find me a case where a criminal defendant is tried after he dies?

It states in the article why the jury verdict is no longer valid. A fundamental right and obligation for a valid conviction is being able to assist in your own defense. His case had yet to be ruled on by an appeals court. He cannot defend himself in and through the appeals process. Therefore the original verdict is null and void. He died before the process ran its natural course. End of story. The only claims left against him are civil in nature. The fact that he cannot defend himself against those will probably have bearing on whether or not those cases go forward.

linrom1
10-19-2006, 08:52 AM
So I am not Johnny Cochran, or William Kunsler. I would still like to put them on trial posthumously along with Ken Lay. Like Ken Lay would say, " I don't know anything, so you can't hold that aganist me." ;)

Tom
10-19-2006, 07:59 PM
Well, the good thing is he is still dead and will stay that way. Lousy SOB....burning in HELL right now. Good.
Would have liked to had him suffer more, though, with Bubba.

Steve 'StatMan'
10-19-2006, 08:20 PM
I'm concerned that his family and his estate will be able to keep all the money he obtained illegally.

JustRalph
10-19-2006, 09:00 PM
all the money he obtained illegally.

That will be the crux. Illegal versus Legal? who gets to draw the line now?

Tom
10-19-2006, 09:13 PM
Let me get this straight - he was convivcted, legally, in a court of law, but it gets overturned because he can't appeal it?
Innocent until proven guilty-guilty?????

Our justice system needs an overhaul.

Hopefully, civil courts will be able to dole out some jsutice, like they did with OJ.

Or home invaders will take his widow to the cleaners.

JustRalph
10-19-2006, 10:39 PM
Hopefully, civil courts will be able to dole out some jsutice, like they did with OJ.

o.j. has paid 14k in civil penalties. They auctioned off the stuff he didn't hide before the seizure took place at his home.

The Goldman's incurred 242k in Legal fee's to get that 14k. That was the last I heard from Mr. Goldman in an interview a while back.

O.J. lives in Florida because under Florida Law his NFL pension is untouchable due to Civil liabilities from the Goldman case.