PDA

View Full Version : First Grade Basketball

ranchwest
10-01-2002, 07:59 PM
Former major league baseball player attacked in kid's basketball game
Tue Oct 1, 6:28 PM ET
By Stephen A. Lawrence, Court TV

STOCKTON, Calif. ( Court TV) — A fight between opposing coaches in a children's basketball game left former major league infielder Ed Sprague Jr. with a bloody eye.

Mark Lawrence Thomas was charged with two counts of battery for hitting Sprague on Sept. 28. He surrendered to police after the incident and is scheduled be to arraigned Tuesday in San Joaquin County Superior Court.

The confrontation began when Thomas complained about a player on Sprague's team fouling his players, witnesses told police. The two got into an argument and as Thomas turned away from Sprague, he suddenly punched him in the right eye. Thomas had to be pulled off of Sprague by witnesses.

The game was played by first-graders at a nearby middle school and no score was being kept. Sprague was coaching his son's team.

Thomas, 34, has been arrested numerous times in the past decade for drug possession and violent acts. He was sentenced to two years in prison after a 1990 arrest for narcotics possession with intent to sell and spent 45 days in jail in 1995 for misdemeanor battery.

Sprague, 35, spent the first eight years of his 11-year career with the Toronto Blue Jays. He was a career .247 hitter with 152 homeruns and 558 RBIs. He spent his last season in Seattle with the Mariners where he batted .298 in 45 games.

smf
10-01-2002, 09:33 PM
Sprague hit .247 for his career? No wonder he got his ass kicked. He can't hit!

Seriously....why is someone with Thomas' past criminal record allowed to coach grade school kids??

ranchwest
10-02-2002, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by smf
Seriously....why is someone with Thomas' past criminal record allowed to coach grade school kids??

From the way society is going, I'd say for the example.

dav4463
10-09-2002, 04:46 AM
I am not a bit surprised at the attack over a kid's basketball game. I am a basketball official, I referee 4th grade through high school varsity. Although for the most part there are no problems, sometimes things happen that are just unbelievable. I have had to stop a 4th grade girls game because of the actions of parents....I have had kids come up to me after a game and apologize for the actions of their parents! Some people go to a game not to watch basketball but to berate the official. They do not realize or even care that the referee is a human being. Good natured booing of a call is ok, but getting personal is not.....I wish games below high school level could be played without parents. If parents were not allowed in the gym, the kids would have more fun and the players would actually learn the lessons that sports can teach. Have someone video the game if the parents have to watch......What gets inside of a person's brain to act in the stupid manner that they do when it comes to youth sports, I will never know........One man just last week was so obnoxious that his own daughter slammed the ball down during a game and told her Dad to shut up and walked out! That's really teaching kids a lesson isn't it? And isn't it funny how the losing team always complains about the officials. Nobody takes responsibility for their own failures anymore. Have to blame somebody else......