PDA

View Full Version : Nov. election issues?

so.cal.fan
10-16-2006, 11:08 AM
This is from a recent Friedman column in the NYTIMES, comment by James Carvelle on a recent poll he did, regarding issues facing voters in Nov.

<Coming in No. 1, with 42 percent, was “reducing dependence on foreign oil.” Coming in a distant second at 26 percent was “combating terrorism.” Coming in third at 25 percent was “the war in Iraq,” and tied at 21 percent were “securing our ports, nuclear plants and chemical factories” and “addressing dangerous countries like Iran and North Korea.” “Strengthening America’s military” drew 12 percent. Mr. Carville also noted that because their polls are of “likely voters,” they have a slight Republican bias — i.e., they aren’t just polling a bunch of liberal greens.>

Carvell is well known Clinton pollster/advisor....who coined "it's the economy, stupid"
Is this not at least one issue people will consider?

GameTheory
10-16-2006, 11:13 AM
All of those issues are facets of the same issue...

ljb
10-16-2006, 01:33 PM
IMHO
These are national issues. Locally in Michigan, jobs are the big issue. We have a billionaire trying to buy his way into the governors seat using jobs. This from the Amway guy that eliminated 1400 jobs in Mi. while investing 200 million in China. His company is now importing product and packaging from China. Go figure ?i

Dave Schwartz
10-16-2006, 01:59 PM
All of those issues are facets of the same issue...

GT,

What do you mean by that?

They sound like different issues to me.

Dave

kenwoodallpromos
10-16-2006, 02:44 PM
From the answers the right question was "What is causing the most negative news important to you for someone else to take care of for you? Because it most likely already had the multiple choices written.
If people wanted to stop foreign oil they could do it within 2 weeks themselves, but they never will as individuals.
The only way most peole will give up their personal bad habits is by law, whether internet gambling or using foreign oil.
So just go ahead and toss the poll because aome of the questions are stupid.
They should have asked "how important is keeping you imcumbent in office and on a committee important to your area/state/party? Or, "What major areas are you most satisfied with the Repubs handling?

GameTheory
10-16-2006, 03:51 PM
GT,

What do you mean by that?

They sound like different issues to me.
Foreign oil, terrorism, war in Iraq, securing our ports/power plants/chemical factories (terrorism again), dangerous countries, strengthening the military. All national security / foreign policy issues with the common thread being "let's not let our enemies cripple us literally or economically".

There are no domestic issues there like jobs & health care...

skate
10-16-2006, 05:19 PM
s.cal.;

yep, Carvil.

he is the only democrat that i can recall with a smile and he has a real laugh.
i could vote for him, but i doubt he would care to run.

but anyhow, he's no dumb polster and i figure he leaves out the economy because the economy is so strong.

uncle george has the economy falling right in line and Carvil knows that people will only swallow so much.

but ya know, ya just can't beat the press for "cover --ups".

Freidmans got oil at 42%, and then terror at 26%, war at25% and ports ay 21%, which brings us to bout 114%, soo?

regardless of that i would conclude that (terror, the war, ports) 26%,25%,21% are all under the "war on terror", which equals 72%.