PDA

View Full Version : How I turned $20 into $840 in about an hour

banacek
10-15-2006, 10:14 PM
So my last prime play of the day runs out. I was down $140. Shut 'er down I thought. But I was bored (that is a sure sign of trouble) and there were three unplayable races left on the card, so I thought I'd throw out a $20 fun bet on the first one and parlay it for the next 2 if it wins. Well 1st wins at $8.00, 2nd wins at $5.00, and now I've got $200! If I stop I'm up for the day. Now I've got second thoughts.

But I remember a story from one of Beyers books about "The Kid" who announces he's going to play a parlay. He wins and decides to back away and not bet the last leg of it - which of course wins.

Well I plunged the $200 down. Horse wins easily at $8.40.

I've been betting for 30+ years and I think this is probably my first parlay. At least the first one I've won!

I'm not sure I'll do it again. A stupid play, but....

Does anyone out there parlay regularly?

PriceAnProbability
10-15-2006, 10:19 PM
So my last prime play of the day runs out. I was down $140. Shut 'er down I thought. But I was bored (that is a sure sign of trouble) and there were three unplayable races left on the card, so I thought I'd throw out a $20 fun bet on the first one and parlay it for the next 2 if it wins. Well 1st wins at $8.00, 2nd wins at $5.00, and now I've got $200! If I stop I'm up for the day. Now I've got second thoughts.

But I remember a story from one of Beyers books about "The Kid" who announces he's going to play a parlay. He wins and decides to back away and not bet the last leg of it - which of course wins.

I've been betting for 30+ years and I think this is probably my first parlay. At least the first one I've won!

What'd the pick-3 pay?

(I never parlay, but never have to, with all the multirace bets out there).

banacek
10-15-2006, 10:26 PM
What'd the pick-3 pay?

$55.55 for $1, so it would be $1111 for $20. But the pool was only $4300, so I calculated that $20 on a pick 3 would drop it to $41 or so. 26.8%(!) take on pick 3s at Hastings I think, win is only 15.8% - but there are 3 takes.

But it was kind of a spur of the moment thing. They were heading for the gate and I threw $20 on the horse and said to myself I'd parlay the rest of the way if it won.

PriceAnProbability
10-15-2006, 10:31 PM
$55.55 for $1, so it would be $1111 for $20. But the pool was only $4300, so I calculated that $20 on a pick 3 would drop it to $41 or so. 26.8%(!) take on pick 3s at Hastings I think, win is only 15.8% - but there are 3 takes.

But it was kind of a spur of the moment thing. They were heading for the gate and I threw $20 on the horse and said to myself I'd parlay the rest of the way if it won.

I'm just amazed at how the p3 always seems to pay more than the parlay, and it's even worse with the p4.

Nice hit, definitely.

Dave Schwartz
10-15-2006, 11:10 PM
Banacek,

Great hit! That is the stuff that legends are made of! (At least in our own minds.)

You will remember this day forever.

Congratulations.

Dave

dav4463
10-15-2006, 11:20 PM
I watched a guy put his last $20 down on a race one night. He showed me the ticket for Penn National's last race. Problem was he bet on the wrong track! I think it was Evangeline, and the lucky *** hit a 20-1 shot winner!

Light
10-16-2006, 12:32 AM
Banacek

That's what I like about gambling on horses. You dont need alot of capitol as some say to score big. My best rags to riches story was walking into the racetrack with $28 to bet cause I just paid my taxes and thats all I could afford,but I just wanted action. I walked out with over $2000 and then was cursing myself for cutting my pk6 bet down from $8 to $4(cause $8 was too big for my $28 bankroll) which cost me over $53k.

I actually find that I'm a better handicapper when my chips are down cause my bankroll doesnt have room for error. When I'm winning, my play gets sloppy and overconfident,just like the Yankees.

PriceAnProbability
10-16-2006, 06:16 AM

I had a similar occurrence when I was 14 (!) years old. I had said I was going to parlay a 9-1 shot I hit onto a 4-1 shot, but when I turned $2 into $20 I had second thoughts. I went ahead and placed the second win bet on a horse who broke in the air, losing all chance at the start.

That was the last time I ever thought of a parlay.

banacek
10-16-2006, 11:07 AM
I had a similar occurrence when I was 14 (!) years old. I had said I was going to parlay a 9-1 shot I hit onto a 4-1 shot, but when I turned $2 into $20 I had second thoughts. I went ahead and placed the second win bet on a horse who broke in the air, losing all chance at the start.

That was the last time I ever thought of a parlay.

When I was 12, I went to the track with my grandfather. He said he'd make a $2 bet for me on the first race. Ruby Von paid $16.40 (amazing how I remember that). He kept betting fo me the rest for the day and I ended up with $57. :)

Light
10-16-2006, 11:32 AM
A parlay doesn't have to mean a win bet to win bet relationship. One day I was bust by the 8th race. I was leaving when I bumped into a friend who owed me money but only had $2 to give me. I went back and bet a 2-1 shot to win.He won.Now I had $6. In the 9th race,I played a 3 horse exacta box that came in paying $200. I left with more than I came in with. I couldn't believe it.

I think one of the best parlay strategies is the round robin. It is one of the best money management strategies around. Charles Romanelli wrote a book called "How to make money in one day at the track",that details the strategy better than any book I've seen on the subject.

Another parlay strategy I like to play is with my prime bets only.I may have one at one track and the next may not appear for a few days later and pop up at another track. Picking your spots in your parlays can really pay off.

Dave Schwartz
10-16-2006, 12:48 PM
I have ordered that book. Thanks for the idea.

joeyspicks
10-16-2006, 12:57 PM
I think one of the best parlay strategies is the round robin. It is one of the best money management strategies around. Charles Romanelli wrote a book called "How to make money in one day at the track",that details the strategy better than any book I've seen on the subject.

Another parlay strategy I like to play is with my prime bets only.I may have one at one track and the next may not appear for a few days later and pop up at another track. Picking your spots in your parlays can really pay off.

Yes! Light this is one of my favorite stratagies. :jump:

I use it ALL THE TIME !!!!!!

One thing I found kind of curious...........on the first post after the terrific story he says; "not sure I'd do it again" and "stupid bet" ? ? ? ? ?

whaaa?

banacek
10-16-2006, 02:28 PM

Didn't Jim Selvidge do round-robin parlays is his book too?

bigmack
10-16-2006, 03:49 PM
Well done bana. I can only assume that with a little help from your stable of Jockettes the parlay gods smiled down upon you. It's not a world to be re-visited often.

Parlay Payout Odds Table
# Wagers in Parlay / Payout Odds
2 2.6 to 1
3 6.5 to 1
4 11 to 1
5 21 to 1
6 41 to 1
7 75 to 1
8 100 to 1
9 150 to 1
10 300 to 1

mudnturf
10-16-2006, 10:19 PM
What'd the pick-3 pay?

You can bet parlays at all three NYRA tracks.You select up to six races and bet win, place, or show parlays, or even a combination of those type of wagers. Parlay cards are readily available for the punter to fill out.
Example: If I loved three horses on a given day...one in the 3rd race, one in the 6th race, and one in the 8th race, I can list them on a parlay card, put up my stake, and then await the outcome. If the first two win, I won't have a decision to make...it's already been made when I submitted the bet.
In this respect, the Parlay is a more palatable wager than a Pick3 or Pick4 because I am not forced to play pre-selected races I might not like.
In the example above, if my top horse in the eighth race was a longshot, I might want to submit my card indicating that my wager in the 8th race be split between win and place.
I've taken "newbies" to NYRA tracks, and explained the concept of the parlay.
You can't imagine how much fun they had betting a $5 show parlay on 3 or 4 horses.