PDA

View Full Version : Air America Runs Out of Loot

bigmack
10-13-2006, 06:19 PM
Air America (http://search.breitbart.com/q?s=%22Air+America%22&sid=breitbart.com) Radio filed for bankruptcy reorganization Friday, in the latest patch of turbulence to befall the liberal talk radio network that launched two years ago headlined by the comedian and author Al Franken.

The network will continue to operate with funding from its investor group, led by RealNetworks Inc. CEO Robert Glaser, who owns 36.7 percent of the company, and two other former board members.
http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/10/13/D8KNVB6O0.html

http://www.breitbart.com/images/2006/10/13/D8KNVB6O0/D8KNVB6O0_preview.jpg

PaceAdvantage
10-14-2006, 04:15 AM
I'm really shocked by this bit of information. One would think that with Bush's horrid approval ratings, folks would be flocking to programming that does nothing but bash the guy that hardly ANYBODY approves of (supposedly)!!!!

Something doesn't add up here....anybody care to take a whack at solving the equation?

rastajenk
10-14-2006, 05:03 AM
Franken's a comedian? Since when?

Tom
10-14-2006, 10:45 AM
[QUOTE=

Something doesn't add up here....anybody care to take a whack at solving the equation?[/QUOTE]

Ever listen to that line up of kooks, nuts, sluts, and crazies they featured?
Even your average under-achieving lib would find it hard to stayed turned to that circus of nonsense. I can only think of FOUR off hand that would enjoy it! :lol::lol::lol:

Boris
10-14-2006, 12:15 PM
I'm really shocked by this bit of information. One would think that with Bush's horrid approval ratings, folks would be flocking to programming that does nothing but bash the guy that hardly ANYBODY approves of (supposedly)!!!!

Something doesn't add up here....anybody care to take a whack at solving the equation?

It was another part of the media that liberals looked at for their party's message and found nothing. "THEY SUCK" is as old to Dems as it is to Reps. Simple as that PA.

Steve 'StatMan'
10-14-2006, 12:33 PM
Gee, the liberals mock some of Bush's failed business ventures, and I believe a corporate bankruptcy or two. Now these guys are declaring bankruptcy, and the product they offer to the public is themselves! What does that tell you?! :lol:

46zilzal
10-14-2006, 01:07 PM
putting on something in kind, yet the polar opposite to conservative radio, does nothing but promote more division. Coming in so late in the game after many folks are really getting tired of this tactic ("the other guy is lying and ONLY OUR side is correct) set this one up to fail.

What would have been refreshing was to take the middle of the road position. That would have found more takers.

bigmack
10-14-2006, 03:18 PM
Talk radio for the left is like a location where 8 restaurants have closed and someone steps forward to open the 9th - It's stone cold doomed.

I don't know what the deal is, perhaps they have little to say or the captive audience in a car going to and from work are typically conservative and listen to the Limbaugh/Hannity/O'Reilly/Savage & the like offerings.

The overriding point is that Al Franken is a loonatic who postures that he's funny. I worked with him on a project in Minnesota many years ago and was half tempted to break his glasses and kick sand in his face but at the time he was wearing contacts and we wern't around sand. Oh well...

Tom
10-14-2006, 04:24 PM
Putting Airhead America up against shows like Limbaugh is like opening a coffee shop next door to a Starbuck's.

Bottom line, the libs do not understand, most people do not like thier attack dog mentality.

kenwoodallpromos
10-14-2006, 06:35 PM
IMO from ther little listening I did they refused to put $$ into what most businesses do- R + D. They did not research their facts, and intead of development they just got Al and Rush imposters to fill their time.
FYI- In the end they were just another bunch of rich, fake, insincere White Males trying to be "progressive". No straight women or minorities needed apply!LOL!! In my ares KGO does much more diversity.

lsbets
10-14-2006, 06:49 PM
Putting Airhead America up against shows like Limbaugh is like opening a coffee shop next door to a Starbuck's.

Believe it or not Tom, the absolute best location for a coffee shop is right next door to a Starbucks.

JustRalph
10-14-2006, 06:53 PM
Believe it or not Tom, the absolute best location for a coffee shop is right next door to a Starbucks.

Not if your coffee sucks! :lol:

bigmack
10-14-2006, 07:14 PM
Yeah I'll take a cup a mud from these guys over SBucks & they have my favorite sign behind the counter "Please No Tipping"

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/c/cb/Mister_donut.jpg/180px-Mister_donut.jpg

lsbets
10-14-2006, 07:36 PM
Not if your coffee sucks! :lol:

Very few people in the specialty coffee industry would call $Bucks coffee anything more than mediocre. Its not hard to draw customers away from them if you provide a better, fresher product and are committed to excellence. Their massive size has its advantages, but makes it very hard for them to provide the premium product, even though they charge premium prices.

JustRalph
10-14-2006, 11:44 PM
Very few people in the specialty coffee industry would call $Bucks coffee anything more than mediocre. Its not hard to draw customers away from them if you provide a better, fresher product and are committed to excellence. Their massive size has its advantages, but makes it very hard for them to provide the premium product, even though they charge premium prices.

ummm.................come on? I was using the "coffee sucks" as a metaphor for the message of the Democratic Party aka Air America? Were we really talking about Coffee? If so, then I agree. But the Dems message sucks, still!

lsbets
10-14-2006, 11:51 PM
Ralph, I agree on the Dem message, can't help talking about coffee every now and then, it kind of comes too naturally to me now. :lol:

toetoe
10-15-2006, 12:28 PM
Mr. Frankenstein is damn funny ... funny LOOKIN'.

Indulto
10-15-2006, 05:11 PM
Mr. Frankenstein is damn funny ... funny LOOKIN'.TT,
AA would never have survived as long as it has if it weren’t the only alternative to conservative talk. Other than Franken, the talent there is limited and too aggressive to sustain a fair-minded audience. I don’t disagree with SOME of Randi Rhodes’ conclusions; I just can’t bear to listen to her. Only Sean Hannity is more unbearable, and Lush Windbag more unbelievable.

Franken can be very funny, but he IS an acquired taste. I wasn’t a fan of his work at Saturday Night Live, but I enjoy his political humor and his O’Reilly needling. The real loss would be his interviews with prominent Democrats and news columnists.

bigmack
10-15-2006, 05:22 PM
Only Sean Hannity is more unbearable interviews
What is with this guy? Strange person calls me on the phone and tells me I'm a Great American, I respond well, you're a Great American - What is that?
Such over-the-top pleasantries haven't been uttered since these two, and they knew each other.

http://www.comics.com.ve/comic/images/542.jpg

Tom
10-15-2006, 07:01 PM
What is with this guy? Strange person calls me on the phone and tells me I'm a Great American, I respond well, you're a Great American - What is that?
Such over-the-top pleasantries haven't been uttered since these two, and they knew each other.

http://www.comics.com.ve/comic/images/542.jpg

Which one is Colmes??? :lol:

Lefty
10-15-2006, 08:50 PM
Which one is Colmes??? :lol:
The one that's wrong.

Indulto
10-16-2006, 01:18 AM
The one that's wrong.It would take one who's always scripted to know for certain. ;)

46zilzal
10-16-2006, 02:00 AM
Rupert Murdoch exposed in the great documentary OUTFOXED staring many ex-employees who could no longer stomach that crap they spew at the F-word network.

Lefty
10-16-2006, 03:02 AM
Rupert Murdoch exposed in the great documentary OUTFOXED staring many ex-employees who could no longer stomach that crap they spew at the F-word network.
Guess not too many people blve this phony doc as Fox News has more viewers than any other cable news show; while Airhead america is, going going GONE!

Suff
10-16-2006, 09:32 AM
Most media is Liberal Media. No?

PaceAdvantage
10-16-2006, 11:23 AM

Most of the influential ones anyway.....

Lefty
10-16-2006, 11:35 AM
Seems like. For years i watched the big 3 and watched them almost have a lovefest with dems and attack repubs. I mean yrs. Then Rush came along and spawned Hannity, Savage, Coulter, Ingraham Galagher and others. Then Fox News came along and after watching for 2 yrs they are definitely faior and balanced. Libs say no, but who am I to blve, them or my lying eyes?

BenDiesel26
10-16-2006, 02:58 PM

According to studies done at UCLA over the past couple of years, yes they are liberal. And that conclusion was reached excluding editorials, letters, and book reviews which often are the most extreme.

article (http://www.newsroom.ucla.edu/page.asp?RelNum=6664)

"I suspected that many media outlets would tilt to the left because surveys have shown that reporters tend to vote more Democrat than Republican," said Tim Groseclose, a UCLA political scientist and the study's lead author. "But I was surprised at just how pronounced the distinctions are."

study (http://www.polisci.ucla.edu/faculty/groseclose/Media.Bias.pdf)

Abstract: We measure media bias by estimating ideological scores for several major media outlets. To compute this, we count the times that a particular media outlet cites various think tanks and policy groups, then compare this with the times that members of Congress cite the same groups. Our results show a strong liberal bias: all of the news outlets we examine, except Fox News’ Special Report and the Washington Times, received scores to the left of the average member of Congress. Consistent with claims made by conservative critics, CBS Evening News and the New York Times received scores far to the left of center. The most centrist media outlets were PBS NewsHour, CNN’s Newsnight, and ABC’s Good Morning America; among print outlets, USAToday was closest to the center. All of our findings refer strictly to news content; that is, we exclude editorials, letters, and the like.

Suff
10-16-2006, 03:05 PM
So we agree, as you have pointed out. Liberal Media is the most watched and successful. Thanks.

BenDiesel26
10-16-2006, 03:15 PM
I wouldn't know. You would have to find a study that compared ratings. I'm not sure if there are any conservative programs on public television. As far as cable networks go, I am almost positive that at one point fox news had the top 55 most watched news shows, or something absurd like that. I will look for a study.

Suff
10-16-2006, 03:35 PM
I wouldn't know. .

You would'nt know that the combined Audience of CBS, NBC, ABC, CNN, MSNBC garner the majority of viewers?

Save your breath.

Again.......cornered.

Suff
10-16-2006, 03:47 PM
btw. Just for the record. There is no Liberal media. None. There is corporate media......and then far off in the very remote distance, other stuff.

It really would require a long thread to have that talk.

However, I'll ask you to consider a few things.

"Posting on Pace Advantage?" Priceless!

Why does MasterCard Brand itself? Why do they buy millions of dollars in TV Time? They have no competition in the traditioinal sense. VISA/MasterCard are one in the same.

ADM. Archer Daniels Midland. Why do they buy millions of dollars of TV time? They market mainly to Industrial Growers?

How about Kerr McGee? I'm sure you've seen them? They buy huge blocks of Meet the Press, FOX News Sunday etc etc... They sell Oil Rigs. You think TV is a good place for them to find new Customers?

How about GE and GM... They own the networks.

It is an Illusion....and a delusion to think that anyone... Whether FOX, CNN or anything in between is a Liberal Biased organization.

It's all a con job........ (the lib/con news bias)
Find me the story that Israel left behind One Million bombs when they withdrew from Lebanon recently? And to this day, kill or maim 35 Lebanese people every week.

GameTheory
10-16-2006, 04:18 PM
btw. Just for the record. There is no Liberal media. None. There is corporate media......and then far off in the very remote distance, other stuff.That's twisting things a bit. First, you've got to differentiate between opinion media (like talk radio), which is dominated by the right; and the news media, which is dominated by the left.

The opinion media is dominated by the right mainly because the left can't seem to stay on the air. I would propose this is because the right takes a more logical approach to issues, and they can stand up to attacks because they are logically sound. (You might think they are wrong or immoral or just help the rich or whatever, but they do have internal consistency.) Liberals argue on a much more emotional basis and it is easy to pick apart their arguments with reason. Talk opinion shows are about words and ideas -- that is simply the nature of the medium and when you can't defend those ideas with logic you sound foolish and people tune out. Liberal opinion shows are only capable of preaching to choir, and the choir isn't big enough. I mean, if moderate liberals listened regularly along with the far left crazies, that would be enough to keep them around. But they can only hold the crazies. If you don't agree, what do you think is the reason? Liberals just don't like talk? They aren't into thinking?

The news media is dominated by the left because the vast majority of journalists and producers are liberals. A left bias seems to be its natural state. I'm sure many of them don't think they reveal a bias, when in fact they do. (Most blatantly by the stories they choose to report and those they ignore, but also in the presentation itself of those they do report.) And with news, they never have to defend their ideas -- they can pretend they are just being objective and reporting what is happening. Now, is Fox news biased to right? (Just the news, not the other shows which clearly are.) I don't know cause I never watch it, but let's say that it is. Are you guys that claim Fox is biased actually claiming that the other news outlets are neutral? That is laughable and dishonest.

Lefty
10-16-2006, 05:13 PM
So we agree, as you have pointed out. Liberal Media is the most watched and successful. Thanks.
Nice spin. Any explanation why airhead america didn't make it?

Lefty
10-16-2006, 05:15 PM
Oh, by the way, now that there's competition, the big 3 and the lib magazines and newspapers losing customers like mad. Hmmm...

BenDiesel26
10-16-2006, 05:56 PM
You would'nt know that the combined Audience of CBS, NBC, ABC, CNN, MSNBC garner the majority of viewers?

Save your breath.

Again.......cornered.

Just for the record, MSNBC is a ratings disaster. That is by far the LEAST watched of all of the major news networks I can think of.

Suff
10-16-2006, 07:10 PM
Just for the record, MSNBC is a ratings disaster. That is by far the LEAST watched of all of the major news networks I can think of.

Going back to my Corporate Media theme...... What was MSNBC's highest rate show in 2003?

Hint...It was canceled by NBC ( owned by GE) three weeks prior to the Iraq Invasion.

And for a double trick question...name the only other time a major network or cable news station canceled its highest rated show?

Suff
10-16-2006, 07:39 PM
That's twisting things a bit. First, you've got to differentiate between opinion media (like talk radio), which is dominated by the right; and the news media, which is dominated by the left.

[QUOTE]The opinion media is dominated by the right mainly because the left can't seem to stay on the air. I would propose this is because the right takes a more logical approach to issues, and they can stand up to attacks because they are logically sound. (You might think they are wrong or immoral or just help the rich or whatever, but they do have internal consistency.)

On TV at least, and to a large part radio, nothing that requires complex solutions, or descriptors sells. That is the #1 issue with all Media. The main issues covered are Scott Peterson & Amanda Holloway.

Fox news ran 452 prime time pieces in 90 days on Amanda Holloway. Then you have people saying "get your head out the sand" on the Terror threat.

By Comparison....that 452 is double and triple other news outlets..but still, America doesnt want to think through things. And major issues requiring complex solutions have NO CHANCE on mainstream media of any ilk

Liberals argue on a much more emotional basis and it is easy to pick apart their arguments with reason.

Your not following along. Liberals are very pragmatic. We support decriminalizing drugs, not because we think "anything goes"... but because its ineffective to criminalize them. It appears some of America is coming to terms with that reality. Although any attempt to discuss issues like this is met with "Liberals are Pro-Crime"

Same with Abortion... Abortion rights center around mainly the 4th amendment. Can the Govt Search a Woman's Womb? And if we set that precedent what will it lead to?. On the moral front, abortion is revolting and an ugly issue. But the constitutional front it is a bell weather issue. Can the Govt. , using a Doctor as its surrogate, inspect your womb?

There are other issues, 14th amendment and so on...

The point is that the issues require thought, historical perspective, and rational discussion.

Liberals are not emotional as you put it... far from it. We are practical. Conservatives are idealist's.

Talk opinion shows are about words and ideas -- that is simply the nature of the medium and when you can't defend those ideas with logic you sound foolish and people tune out.

No talk show can effectively debate an issue and sell advertising. Talk show guests are schooled in 45 second rebuttals. 600 word answers. Guests on either side that cannot meet the demands, are not invited back. No talk show rips apart an issue adequetly. People need to do their own research.

The news media is dominated by the left because the vast majority of journalists and producers are liberals.

Liberals are nowhere in Media. The American Media is asleep on the Job. Media by its Constitutional Provision, is supposed to Cover the Governments behavior, not cover its ass. And it does not do that. Period. It may be leaning middle class...but it in no way reports on a liberal slant. Corporations own the media....

I follow a lot of things. Did you see a story a few months back that the Government is re-instituting the testing of Drugs on Prison Inmates? True. A panel put together by Bush has drafted the new laws....and under pressure from the Pharmaceutical industry will begin using inmates for guinea pigs.

How about the story where Bush, using the Patriot Act took over the Non-profit suicide hot line? You could get a Govt employee when you call for help. The first thing they did when they got the suicide hot-line was to cancel a seminar for the call takers that was entitled..."suicide issues for Gay and lesbian teens", and they replaced it with a "Faith based treatment for suicide" ( and people wonder why Republican get different treatment around Gay issues?)

All these things and many more are going on with this guy BUSH. He's a bad egg........ I'm convinced of it.

I don't need Air America. or Fox, or anyone to help me reach my conclusions. I follow policy decisions, I follow appellate and supreme court decisions...

I spend a large portion of my free time studying my country.

I'm comfortable with my Conclusion;

Economic and Social Liberalism is in the best interest of Free Men.

GameTheory
10-16-2006, 08:01 PM
Suff,

Who are these liberals you speak of? Did some Democrats in Congress put forth a bill to decriminalize drugs that I missed? I don't remember John Kerry or Al Gore talking about how they wanted to legalize drugs.

And the news media doesn't slant left? What slant was it exactly when Dan Rather presented us with fake records of Bush's service? How about the internal memo from the ABC News Political guy telling his staff that they should NOT hold Kerry and Bush "equally accountable" for distortions and that they should go after Bush and leave Kerry alone?

You say "the media is owned by corporations". You'll have to interpret that for me. They are owned by corporations, and so therefore what? They can't slant left?

Suff
10-16-2006, 09:12 PM
Suff,

[QUOTE] Who are these liberals you speak of?
Me

And the news media doesn't slant left? What slant was it exactly when Dan Rather presented us with fake records of Bush's service?

Slant left where? Not to The Far left, as you'd see in Ralph Nader's Economic points. Gotcha Journalism is just that. Rather on Bush is partisan. Not ideological.

How about the internal memo from the ABC News Political guy telling his staff that they should NOT hold Kerry and Bush "equally accountable" for distortions and that they should go after Bush and leave Kerry alone?

Didnt see it so Cannot comment on it. If true, again, Partisan, not ideological.

You say "the media is owned by corporations". You'll have to interpret that for me. They are owned by corporations, and so therefore what? They can't slant left

They can slant To a party....but no. nowhere near left. Left in America is not mainstream. Corporations, and Political ambition conspire to filter out the left.

You gave two examples...and perhaps you could give 100. If I were concede that all 100 were clear examples of partisan bias in media.... its total impact would not equal a sliver of the strength of the Corporations have on Policy. By the Government, and Media.

The fact is... What Bush & Co believe when they say ownership society, is a Government that serves owners. Those who own, rule. They are completely comfortable effecting policy that serves owners. If you go back to Supreme Court rulings in early America, you will see that Corporations were never intended to have influence in Govt, and absolutely were NOT afforded relief in the Constitution. That's all changed.

Instead of a supreme court that addressed Civil Rights in the 1950's and 1960's you have a court whose docket is mainly Corporate rights. The supreme court rarely address's major civil rights case's like they have in their history...

Who do you think propagates the bashing of the ACLU? Of the 1000's of cases it argues each year....who would prune out its most egregious and frighten you with them? Do you think it may just be groups who do not want a society with Civil Rights? The very civil rights that President Bush argues to be awarded this Presidency?

I do not fear the ACLU....I applaud them. I fear GE. I fear WAL-Mart, I fear Boeing, I fear Henry Kissinger, I fear RAYTHEON, I FEAR GM , I Fear General Dynamics... All those entities have competing interests with mine.

Any man who stands politically with them? I say is a BUFFOON and a PAWN.

People on this board want to talk about THE NY TIMES or WEAK ON SECURITY, or ENTITLEMENT SOCITY... That's all gibberish....meaningless chatter while America gets bought and sold......presently to the Communist's of China.

How tragic that we argue about whether restricting our civil rights makes sense? How sad that people don't have the historical perspective of our founders....and how VITAL to our very existence our rights are....

Further: that citizens can't see they do the work of the master when they mock Liberals.... Liberals want freedom, expanded freedom. What a myth that Liberals don't want dissenting voices... That is exactly what we want.

GameTheory
10-16-2006, 10:12 PM
Ok, so the "left" doesn't include the Democrats -- they're not left enough -- the "real left" is only the far left like Nadar. And "partisan" bias is what, not bias? If the news media does its best to make one party look good and one look bad, that is just "partisan" -- and a partisan bias is not motivated by any underlying ideology? They just don't like Elephants or something?

Or it doesn't count because all media is meaningless gibberish -- a smokescreen for the corporations -- all debate in the media is just a show that the corporations put on to distract us from the fact that they are grabbing more & more power without anyone saying much about *that*? So while the Democrats are not the left, Bush & Co are the actual "real right"? And while you hate them, you are nevertheless not represented by the media that does its best to bash him day after day?

Lefty
10-16-2006, 10:21 PM
suff, i agree, you is the far far left. Anybody that fears Walmart and supports the communistic ACLU about as far to the left as you can get. Don't fall off the Earth's left edge.

Lefty
10-16-2006, 10:24 PM
suff, btw, over 50% of us have a piece of the stockmkt. That's what Bush means by ownership society.

46zilzal
10-16-2006, 10:24 PM
suff, i agree, you is the far far left. Anybody that fears Walmart and supports the communistic ACLU about as far to the left as you can get. Don't fall off the Earth's left edge.
the world, last time I looked (or maybe No Child Left Behind teaches it to folks like you) was a lot like a SPHERE

Suff
10-16-2006, 10:30 PM
[QUOTE]Ok, so the "left" doesn't include the Democrats

Pretty Much.

-- they're not left enough -- the "real left" is only the far left like Nadar. And "partisan" bias is what, not bias? If the news media does its best to make one party look good and one look bad, that is just "partisan" -- and a partisan bias is not motivated by any underlying ideology? They just don't like Elephants or something?

How much of your physical life changed from Bush 1 to Clinton to Bush 2? Do you think anything but a PUBIC hair separates these guys? None of the 3 are liberal.

Or it doesn't count because all media is meaningless gibberish -- a smokescreen for the corporations -- all debate in the media is just a show that the corporations put on to distract us from the fact that they are grabbing more & more power without anyone saying much about *that*?

Fairly accurate I'd say. You can't say with a straight face that Amanda Holloway and Scott Peterson are news? Or that Sean Annuity and Alan Colmes do anything? How long would a network stay in Business Talking about Supreme court rulings? Or Policy wonk behavior, or how the TAX code gets manipulated like the weather. Or the Private army's of Mining companies, or Oil Companies? Or when Coportations derail tax's in the USA but pay 40% of REVENUE!!! Not Profit ...REVENUE to corrupt regimes...

Example;

Pope gives a speech... Muslims go off the Hook. News reports show MUSLIMS protesting.... Americans say.. . MUSLIMS ARE FREAKS... THEY DON"T WANT FREE SPEECH

FOLEY flirts with Boy Pages... Media pulls out 25 year old Gerry Studds "Comparison"

Do you know how Ian Paisley is?

Pope gives a Speech to European Parliament...

Ian Paisley Stands up in Middle speech and screams

I DENOUNCE YOU AS THE ANTI-CHRIST!! Berates the Pope... In the European Parliament... holds up a sign with anti-catholic message.. says the POPE is the Anti-Christ

I'm tired and need to go out.... there is a message there...but your gotta read between the lines...

see what you want to see,

Lefty
10-16-2006, 10:48 PM
the world, last time I looked (or maybe No Child Left Behind teaches it to folks like you) was a lot like a SPHERE
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
Zilly and you're a lot like a square.

46zilzal
10-16-2006, 10:53 PM
your mentality is perfect to be a neocon.

Lefty
10-16-2006, 11:47 PM
your mentality is perfect to be a neocon.
I don't qualify as a neocon. Can you fig out why?

46zilzal
10-17-2006, 12:05 AM
I don't qualify as a neocon. Can you fig out why?
because there are so few active frontal lobe neurons that they cannot synapse?

JustRalph
10-17-2006, 12:59 AM
sure glad this board is dominated by the Right........... amazing.........

Lefty
10-17-2006, 03:47 AM
46, use your synapses to answer my q. I can't be a neocon because....
Think about it.

Indulto
10-17-2006, 03:59 AM
[QUOTE=GameTheory]... America doesnt want to think through things. And major issues requiring complex solutions have NO CHANCE on mainstream media of any ilk

... Liberals are very pragmatic. We support decriminalizing drugs, not because we think "anything goes"... but because its ineffective to criminalize them. It appears some of America is coming to terms with that reality. Although any attempt to discuss issues like this is met with "Liberals are Pro-Crime"

... The point is that the issues require thought, historical perspective, and rational discussion.

Liberals are not emotional as you put it... far from it. We are practical. Conservatives are idealist's.

No talk show can effectively debate an issue and sell advertising. Talk show guests are schooled in 45 second rebuttals. 600 word answers. Guests on either side that cannot meet the demands, are not invited back. No talk show rips apart an issue adequetly. People need to do their own research.

... All these things and many more are going on with this guy BUSH. He's a bad egg........ I'm convinced of it.

I don't need Air America. or Fox, or anyone to help me reach my conclusions. I follow policy decisions, I follow appellate and supreme court decisions...

I spend a large portion of my free time studying my country.

I'm comfortable with my Conclusion;

Economic and Social Liberalism is in the best interest of Free Men.Suff,
Thank you. I only wish this post of yours could get air time.

Suff
10-17-2006, 01:02 PM

Suppose there is a big field of sheep.., and your in it, I'm in it, and a whole bunch of guys are in it...

At times it appears you get some satisfaction from declaring you look just like the other sheep....or most of them.

And at other times you appear to get some satisfaction by telling others that they do not look like the majority of the sheep.
----------------------------------------------------------------

Could your personal convictions be shaken when they are not shared in the majority or near majority?

Do your convictions hold less weight when they differ from most?

Mine don't.

Suff
10-17-2006, 01:14 PM
[QUOTE=Suff]Suff,
Thank you. I only wish this post of yours could get air time.

NASA. DOD. The space agency and the defense agency.

Every year you and I spend Billions of Dollars funding these agencies.

Everything from Microwave ovens to Cell Phones to the Internet have come from research and projects from these agencies.

Why do corporations get ROI? Citizens get the "greater good"....:lol:

Screw Verizon! Where is my end??

Drugs and Medical equipment. MRI machine's, Pharmaceutical breakthroughs...

All these things we pay for with Grants, and Projects, and space explorations... But we only get the "greater good"... Biogen gets the dough... Pfizer gets the dough$$.......we get the bill. ( due in 30 days)

Tax's crush ambition? Republicans seem so eager to accept this concept;

Lawyer , Doctor or Entrepreneur makes 300 grand. He WILL NOT try and make another 300 grand because the govt will tax him 45%. ( that's BS but assume its true for now)

Repugs say... You destroy ingenuity...you punish innovators... :lol:

How come repugs can ask for empathy for a guy making 300 grand and not a guy making 6 bucks an hour. talk about CRUSHING AMBITION...

When a Post-grad degree costs 100 grand, and education is a commodity...and it costs $25.00 just to wake up in America.....

You want to drive the economy? You want innovation? Take care of the guy making 6. the guy making 300 will do just fine...

Enough from me.....Belmont's wednesday card is calling my name.

46zilzal
10-17-2006, 01:19 PM
Suppose there is a big field of sheep.., and your in it, I'm in it, and a whole bunch of guys are in it...

At times it appears you get some satisfaction from declaring you look just like the other sheep....or most of them.

And at other times you appear to get some satisfaction by telling others that they do not look like the majority of the sheep.

Could your personal convictions be shaken when they are not shared in the majority or near majority?

Mine don't.

BRAVO!!

Suff
10-17-2006, 01:26 PM
BRAVO!!

Thank you.

I'll be appearing all week.

My Fan club is diverse and ever expanding..
:D :rolleyes: :kiss: :lol:

JustRalph
10-17-2006, 04:40 PM
"Economic and Social Liberalism is in the best interest of Free Men."

How Johnsonesque of you. Why don't you just say what you mean. You are for forced re-distribution of wealth. Take from those who have and give to those who have not. By Government intervention.

Indulto
10-17-2006, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Suff
Liberals are not emotional as you put it... far from it. We are practical. Conservatives are idealist's.It was too late for me to comment cogently last night, but the above statement was my first conscious thought this morning. I would paraphrase it, however, to say that conservatives ARE at least as idealistic as liberals, but liberals are more pragmatic than Conservatives.

For example, fairness and social/legal equality are liberal ideals. Unrestrained market forces and unfettered property rights are conservative ideals. If humans were inherently fair, market and property considerations would not be a source of conflict.

Both sides desire a society comprised of independent, productive, law-abiding citizens. Both agree that the primary purpose of government is security. Domestic and world peace and stability through strength and enforcement is a conservative ideal. Tranquility through the absence of discontent is a liberal ideal.

History has repeatedly shown that the liberal approach is the pragmatic one because unchecked power and/or greed are what has continually lead to corruption and conflict in all societies; and to wars between them.

Public schools still teach civics, but the principles and practice of democracy, like those of religion, must be taught primarily in the home. Too often, any merits of the opposing viewpoints are dismissed.

From such training, the major political parties have evolved today into an alignment according to opposing theoretical/idealistic extremes, while sharing the corruptibility that accompanies incumbency and the flawed campaign contributuon process. Voting according to principle rather than party line is virtually extinct.

The United States could never have existed without the influence of our English ancestry and the Magna Carta. Iraq and Afghanistan are NOT U.S. colonies. Most of their citizens have little knowledge or appreciation of what democracy means and requires -- and could probably care less. One might say they are at once both more idealistic and pragmatic than Americans of any persuasion.

Lefty
10-17-2006, 05:35 PM

Mine don't.
No. I have weighty convictions.

Lefty
10-17-2006, 05:40 PM
suff, as far as the guy making six bucks an hr and the guymaking 300 is we all have the OPPORTUNITY in this country to be the guy making 300. A lot of us(including me)squander those opportunities.

Suff
10-17-2006, 05:53 PM
[color=black][font=Verdana]

The United States could never have existed without the influence of our English ancestry and the Magna Carta. Iraq and Afghanistan are NOT U.S. colonies. Most of their citizens have little knowledge or appreciation of what democracy means and requires -- and could probably care less. One might say they are at once both more idealistic and pragmatic than Americans of any persuasion.

The Magna Carta....frequently called the Grandfather of our Constitution.

Do you know what the Great Grandfather of the Magna Carta is? Essentially of all human rights.

There is it... its called the Cylinder... It is the first known declaration of each single individuals human rights. Who wrote it, and from what civilization I will leave each person to learn.

chickenhead
10-17-2006, 06:01 PM
I see your Cylinder, and raise you....The Monolith!

bigmack
10-17-2006, 06:04 PM
I see your Cylinder, and raise you....The Monolith!
I call & raise a black hole.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/space/images/wallpaper/blackhole_large.jpg

chickenhead
10-17-2006, 06:09 PM
I call & raise a black hole.

Are you sure?

Suff
10-17-2006, 06:13 PM
Good stuff.....and funny as a mofo...

I fold....:lol:

bigmack
10-17-2006, 06:17 PM
Are you sure?
chickenhead, AKA Jaime Gold - I fold as well.

I'll be Bach - you be Mozart.

Tom
10-17-2006, 07:28 PM
Chickenhead.......that is TRUMP! :lol:

JustRalph
12-27-2006, 04:55 PM
Air America no longer in Ohio........the last station in Cincy got rid of them.

here are some comments

http://www.buckeyestateblog.com/air_america

Cincy Post article

http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061218/BIZ/612180345/-1/all

Tom
12-27-2006, 07:57 PM
One only need tune in for a day or two to understand why.
Sad bunch of talk show hosts. Actually, there are definate idea s to be talked about, things to sicuss, reasons to question the right, but not a one of them is capable of moving past the 4 Horseman standards set here - Bush Bad, blame blame blame. Rank amatures. And trailer park trash.