PDA

View Full Version : Yet Another Reason To Want to Kick David Stern's Butt

the_fat_man
10-10-2006, 09:38 PM
The HYPOCRISY of Stern never ceases to amaze me.

Last year we had the dress code.

This year, he's forcing the players to play with a ball that's flat out inferior to the leather ball used for the past 30 years (or so). After much criticism he's going to investigate the matter further ---Gee, Dave, maybe you should've tested the synthetic balls rather than talking Spalding's (or whoever makes them) word for it?

Now, Stern is going to enforce 'post whistle whining':

'Commissioner David Stern, long fed up with players' histrionics over questionable calls, is threatening to hit them with quick technical fouls -- and later fines -- for those who curse, throw their hands up, or make other gestures that show disgust.'

You know Dave, this would really, really, really be a GOOD IDEA, if

1) Your REFS were competent

2) Your system of refereeing the game were IMPARTIAL

Who hasn't turned on a game and noticed that CERTAIN PLAYERS ARE SINGLED OUT and their game is not refereed in a manner similar to that of others. DAVID STERN whipping boys.

Oh, and how about ROOKIES needing to pay their dues?

I suffered though the '90's with this IDIOT pushing BRUTE BALL. Took him 10+ years to realize that BBALL is a sport for the skilled, not the bullies.

Now he takes credit for opening up the game. Go figure.

Spare me the arguments that he's made alot of money for the owners.

He's just lucky that BBALL has worldwide appeal.

JustRalph
10-10-2006, 10:14 PM
is the NBA still in Business? Wow!

the_fat_man
10-10-2006, 10:18 PM
now, THAT's FUNNY :lol::lol:

Get Stuffy Stern on the phone.

Bubbles
10-10-2006, 10:49 PM
I suffered though the '90's with this IDIOT pushing BRUTE BALL. Took him 10+ years to realize that BBALL is a sport for the skilled, not the bullies.

He's just lucky that BBALL has worldwide appeal.Funny...I remember a #23/#45 for the Chicago Bulls who was hardly a brute that made the NBA and himself a ton of money in the decade you specified...

the_fat_man
10-10-2006, 11:27 PM
Funny...I remember a #23/#45 for the Chicago Bulls who was hardly a brute that made the NBA and himself a ton of money in the decade you specified...

Just as a single example:

remember the series between the Nets and the Brutish Knicks?

Ron Harper basically spent the whole series with HIS HAND ON Kenny Anderson's BUTT. Everytime Anderson tried to advance the ball, Harper pushed him back.

That was a fine era of basketball.

Interesting you mention #23; he never got any calls, right?

dav4463
10-11-2006, 12:12 AM
I'm all for curtailing the whining about almost every call. I am a high school referee. The technical foul for crying can be a great deterrent. The NBA has to be incredibly hard to officiate. A foul could be called almost every trip downcourt. I think they try to do a good job of managing the game. Managing the game is a more important part of the game than always making the right call at the NBA level. Basketball has enough opportunities in a game to overcome a couple of bad calls. If guys like Mark Cuban would shut up and let them do their jobs, there wouldn't be so many problems. The officials should determine when and when not to call "touch fouls"....not the owners, not Stern, not the players. The referees study these players. They see them every night. They know when players are in control and when they are out of control. Players who stay in control of their game will get their fair share of calls.

rastajenk
10-11-2006, 12:40 AM
I wonder if Cuban will be able to draw T's for his antics soon....then, maybe Spike Lee and Jack Nicholson and other courtside notables....then entire noodle-waving sections of fans...the possibilities are endless.

dav4463
10-11-2006, 04:55 AM
I think the league should have the right to remove unruly fans. If it is a high profile guy like Jack Nicholson....then it sends a message. Cuban, being an owner, should be able to draw a technical. I guess he's part of the team. He spends more time in the huddles during timeouts than most of the coaches! I think owners should be banned from the sidelines during games and I know most of the Mavericks would applaud that rule!

kenwoodallpromos
10-11-2006, 01:18 PM
Sounds like a trend to me- Stern wants BBallers to act decent on the court and dress decent off the court!
If I want to watch gangbangers play BBall I can go to my corner park!

Valuist
10-12-2006, 03:23 PM
I heard Shaq was complaining about the new ball, that its a slick surface. Sounds like it might take a little while to adapt. Have to see how the UNDERS will do at the start of the season.

dav4463
10-13-2006, 05:30 AM
Sounds like a trend to me- Stern wants BBallers to act decent on the court and dress decent off the court!
If I want to watch gangbangers play BBall I can go to my corner park!

Great post! The international teams have already shown the NBA that "thugball" or the "And One streetball" mentality doesn't win.