PDA

View Full Version : An NFL WINNER for Sunday

CamptownRaces.com
09-29-2002, 09:14 AM
New Orleans Saints @ Detroit Lions
2002-09-29 1:00 PM

The 3-0 Saints are going in to play the 0-3 Lions! Brooks against Harrington. Harrington didn't do too good last week against Green Bay. The Lions QB went 15 of 35, (42.8%), for 182 yards, 2 TDs and 4 interceptions. Other than a scoreless third quarter, the Lions were able to put points on the board, and did almost catch the Packers though. The Lions are in desperate need of a receiver to step up and take control out there. Look for Hakim to try and do that this week. Last week he led the team with only 5 catches. The passing game has to be better than that. James Stewart just hasn't been able to get too many carries as of yet. Stewart ran only 26 times in three games for a total of 141 yards, (average of 5.4 yards per carry), but still hasn't scored a TD on the ground.

The Saints have their motor rolling. Aaron Brooks has done a good job so far for the most part. Brooks is 62 of 104, (59.6%) for 710 yards, 7 TDs and 4 interceptions. His favorite targets have been Joe Horn and Donte' Stallworth. Horn has 20 catches for 270 yards and 1 TD. Stallworth has 12 for 165 yards and 3 TDs. Jerome Pathon has caught his share as well. Pathon has 9 catches for 98 yards and two TDs.

Deuce McAllister has carried the ball 69 times for 247 yards, (averaging 4 yards per carry), and 2 TDs. He'll continue to pound his way through the defenses to gain his average 4 yards per carry today as well.

Detroit is having some trouble both on the ground and in the air. The Saints have been able to hold their opponents to 292 yards on the ground after 3 games. The pass defense is a bit weaker than the run defense for the Saints though. That's not going to matter much today though. Once Hakim is neutralized, the Lions won't be able to get anything going.

Detroit has allowed their opponents to gain a total of 352 yards on the ground, and a shocking 864 yards through the air. They are allowing an average of 288 yards passing per game so far this season. If they're having trouble stopping the run, and having even more trouble stopping the pass, New Orleans isn't the best team for the Lions to be facing right now.

Look for Deuce McAllister to run over people today. I can foresee him breaking a big one loose. Horn, Stallworth, and Pathon will have great games over the middle and a few grabs deep as the Lions pass defense will have many blown coverages in this game.

Play on the Saints minus the 7 1/2 points. You'll laugh all the way to the Bank!

Saints 38
Lions 17

Tom
09-29-2002, 08:45 PM
Final
New Orleans 21
Detroit 26

You'r right-I'm lauging!

andicap
09-30-2002, 08:49 AM
My problem with the pros is that I tend to pick favorites when I know that 'dogs are the way to go if you are selective.
That said, I like the Broncos tonight although I'll go very light since you hate to give 7 pts on the road. STill I can't figure out how the Ravens are going to score.

CamptownRaces.com
09-30-2002, 09:44 AM
After Sunday I don't know just how much this will matter, but I do have the Broncos BIG!! 7 Points won't be nearly enough to keep us from Cashing in on Denver.

The Saints looked terrible. After going down 20-0, they did try to come back, but giving away 7 1/2, I knew I was beat early. I did have Houston plus 19 1/2, and Tampa Bay minus 7, but Miami, New Orleans, and Minnesota made sure that I lost this week.

Oh well,

Week 5 is just around the corner.

GR1@HTR
09-30-2002, 02:51 PM
Bronco have defeated 3 mystery teams
St. Louis
SF
Buffalo

during those 3 games Denver was able to pass for a 101 QB rating and rush for 5.0 yards/carry. Their defense allowed opposing QB's to pass for a very poor 92.6 QB Rating but those 3 QB's are/were tops in the game.

The Raven have lost to
Carolina
TB

Ravens Passed for a 57.6 QB rating while giving up a horrendous 97 rating. Rushing wise they stink at a 3.4/rush but showed they they can still stop the run by giving up only 3.3 rush.

Summary: Denver will be able to pass effectively and run ok. Balt will not be able to move the ball.
Give me the horse to beat the bird by at least 10 points.

CamptownRaces.com
09-30-2002, 11:15 PM
OUCH!!! How does minus $1400.00 for the week sound? Very Big OUCH!!!

I couldn't even buy a winner this week! Horses & Football just killed me this week!

Gotta go bigger next week to get it all back...

This week you couldn't miss if you played the opposite of what I called...:mad:

GR1@HTR
09-30-2002, 11:27 PM
This game sucks...I 'm going back to horses...

CamptownRaces.com
09-30-2002, 11:54 PM
:D I'm not laughing at you, I'm laughing at the circumstances that are taking place...

Can you believe the crap going on in the NFL?

The Rams were favored to win the superbowl and they're 0-4!

This season has to get some balance to it soon...

Try doing this for a living!!!

It's not too fun when you're on a losing streak...

You watch what you would have put towards something you really want or like, go right out the window.

It's not a fun game when you lose...

Just always remember, what goes up must come down, and what goes down will come back up!!

Charles

smf
10-01-2002, 01:46 AM
If you guys knew how lightly 90% of nfl players took their craft (GR1 knows, I'm sure), you wouldn't bet a red cent on the bums.

Too many Emmit Smith's that worry about personal records (which preceed team objectives) and too few Darren Woodson's that take their job (and games) seriously.

Betting on those nfl clowns is financial suicide. The players could care less if they win or not.

GR1@HTR
10-01-2002, 09:29 AM
Whoah, Ray "killer" Lewis had an outstanding game. Whata playmaker.

CamptownRaces.com
10-01-2002, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by smf
If you guys knew how lightly 90% of nfl players took their craft (GR1 knows, I'm sure), you wouldn't bet a red cent on the bums.

Too many Emmit Smith's that worry about personal records (which preceed team objectives) and too few Darren Woodson's that take their job (and games) seriously.

Betting on those nfl clowns is financial suicide. The players could care less if they win or not.

I have to disagree. I've made lots of money off of the NFL over the years. In 2000 I was "Documented" going 62.5% Win after the spread. In 2001 I went 61% for the season. (After the spread)

There is money to be made if you're careful about how you make it!:)

Tom
10-01-2002, 12:16 PM
I didn't even know you could catch a field goal and run with it!
What a play. Bet Denver did some "talking" in the locker room after that one.

andicap
10-01-2002, 12:21 PM
See, I told you guys never to lay 7 pts on the road:D
Luckily I didn't bet --

SMF, what evidence do you have about Emmitt Smith? I've heard only good things about him... He sure is durable. What makes him selfish? All those yards he piles up for the Cowboys?
Are you saying he should retire instead of going after Payton's record because he is through? If that was true, it's the team's fault, not Smith's.

I think these guys try pretty much, but obviously not every down and every game -- they play hurt, it's mentally and physicall draining and they aren't machines.

Unlike in baseball, I don't get bent out of shape about the football salaries. The teams make lots of money, the players' careers are very short and it's extremely hazardous. Plus many of them are crippled for the rest of their lives. They pretty much play hurt most of the season -- and they give us a lot of enjoyment. It's the best television sport (except for the racing) in the world.

smf
10-01-2002, 03:07 PM
Andicap,

Damn, where to begin on Emmitt and others...Apparently you don't see him run much nowdays since they aren't a playoff team anymore.

He's the 3rd best ball carrier on the team right now. It's a hot topic here in town right now. He doesn't have any accelleration whatsoever, he gives up when there's no hole. He used to get yards after contact, it's a rare occurrance when he gets "YAC" now, and face it, in the nfl a good back has to make yards after contact.

Also, those yards he piled up in the past was behind the best o-line in the history of the nfl. Right now it's an average o-line at best and he's struggling. When Hambrick comes in, they get a kickstart, but he's not a difference maker either.

Last week after the Iggles bet the cowdogs, Darren Woodson threw down a profanity laced closed doors shouting tirade against the team. One of the things he said was "get your f-ing heads out of the domino games, and study the game plan like a professional".

Guess who runs the (well known in this town) domino game in the locker room??? Emmitt.

So you have an all pro DB addressing the team, and singling out certain guys in the process, one of which is the guy that saves every football that he scores a TD with (to sell, btw).

Another self-serving ditty about Emmitt....2weeks ago he hired a guy to chart the # of carries he had b/c he was going to break Payton's al time record of rushes (carries). When he broke the record, the guy was to run off the sidelines and tell Emmitt he had the record.

Emmitt stopped the game after the record so he could take HIS ball to the sidelines (when getting slaughtered by da Iggles).

Contrast that to another NFL record breaker, Jerry Rice. Last week he broke Payton's all time yards from LOS record. What did he do after the play??? Went back to the huddle quietly and professionally (and won the game).

Some get it, some don't. It's a team game.

andicap
10-01-2002, 03:16 PM
Interesting. Smith sure gets a huge pass from the national media, but sounds like he gets beat up in Dallas. is this true or does the local media treat him with kid gloves too.
Shades of Joe Dimaggio! Local icon gets off the hook and is actually a boor.

smf
10-01-2002, 03:40 PM
Andicap,

The press down here is a funny thing. Most outlets will kiss the Cowboy's ass b/c by doing so, it allows them more access to the owner. He's overspoken to put it midly (most of it laughable). A press guy's dream come true.

There's a local station here that won't sugar coat anything, that's the place where the Woodson tirade was detailed. Once they broke the story, the others had to follow with what they saw/ heard (it was a STORY at that point since 1310am broke it, so they didn't sit on it).

Another Emmitt Smith story....Remember a few years ago (early 90s)when Smith played in NY with a separated shoulder, and winced every time he got hit (after taking his helmet off so the cameras could focus on him)? Well, the trainer came out and said that the separation was mild and almost healed, and was easily played thru.

Jerry Jones wanted to fire the trainer that day, Jimmy Johnson talked him out of it. When Jimmy left, the trainer was fired.

anotherdave
10-01-2002, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Tom
I didn't even know you could catch a field goal and run with it!
What a play.

Hey we do that all the time in Canadian ball. That is to avoid the 1 point rouge (I can hear the laughing now!)Sometimes at the end of the game the guy catches the missed field goal and punts it out. That can be a lark (seriously)

Now Aussieplayer can talk about Aussie Rules Football.

AD

ranchwest
10-01-2002, 05:26 PM
IMHO, Emmitt Smith (better know to Barry Switzer as "2 2") has never been a great athlete. He is the best at following blocks and that is what he has always done. Now, he lacks the slightly above average athletic ability that he once had.

I agree with SMF that Smith is self-centered. He has always shunned the role of leader, now more than ever and has been very outspoken about leaving that role to someone else.

As SMF said, some of the guys on 1310 are willing to say what's on their minds. They cloak part of what they say in comedy, but they also hit hard with direct sports talk, too.

I do some amateur sports writing and I can tell you that whatever you write or say, you have to always keep in mind that you're probably going to have to be talking to the people you're writing about. It can be uncomfortable sometimes, some folks won't talk to you after you've written something negative. Luckily, I write about my alma mater, so I don't say too much that is negative about the folks that I see weekly.