PDA

View Full Version : Give me some movies to add to my Netflix que

chickenhead
10-04-2006, 11:39 PM
Give me some good movies I might not have heard of, or that I missed for whatever reason.

Not obvious ones I've already seen...give me some old movies or indie movies or just movies that you think everyone should see, but know not everyone has.

Give me a movie that made you think, or cry, or laugh out loud a week after seeing it; something that made a lasting impression. Give me one that was really artful, maybe something about the way it was filmed or acted or written changed the way films were done from then on.

Or maybe the film isn't even that good, but there is a character in it that was really outstanding, or an actor you've never seen again -- but they really wow-ed you.

I want some good interesting idosincratic movies here.

46zilzal
10-04-2006, 11:40 PM
Why We Fight, the Corporation

funny Waking Ned Devine, interesting "For Roseana" (about a fellow who tires to go around his town keeping people from out of the cemetary as it is almost full and he wants a place for his wife [she has an arhythmia] to be buried next to their daughter...very well written.

Old one: The Carey Treatment written by Michael Crichton, The Hospital (academy award for Paddy Chyevsky's screenplay), others as I think of them.

John Ford's favorite (he made it twice, first with Will Rogers and then later as The Sun Shines Bright, about a judge whom defends the lynching of a black man right near the time of re-election.

46zilzal
10-04-2006, 11:52 PM
a good love story, if you want to watch one with a lady and make a good impression: Serendipity or The Notebook.

46zilzal
10-04-2006, 11:55 PM
good mystery with an ensemble cast including a very beautiful but deadly Charlize Theron : TWO DAYS IN THE VALLEY. Very well written.

A movie that might make you think about genetics GATTACA

46zilzal
10-05-2006, 12:01 AM
a real old classic that is hard to find from the thirties: Ruggles of Red Gap. A butler (Charles Laughton) is lost in a poker game to Charlie Ruggles and must travel to 1900 Red Gap Washington and try to fit in......

Often shown on PBS.

46zilzal
10-05-2006, 12:12 AM
movies today, for the most part, are a disjointed series of NOISEY special effects without a bit of story or charaterizations which would normally make the audience identify and have empathy with. Movies are truly becoming a wasteland. This year I've rented very few and I like movies.

a very good one is the original Japanese Shall We Dance.

46zilzal
10-05-2006, 12:22 AM
Check out movies by John Sayles: 8 Men Out, Matewan, Passion Fish, Lone Star, Sushine State, Silver City. a very good director and writer who often stars in his movies as an extra. Lone Star has a film technique I have never seen in another movie: as the camera pans left to right you see a scene from years ago move right into today without ever leaving the physical spot.

for the totally outrageous, look at movies by Ed Wood or his life story with Johnny Depp.

KingChas
10-05-2006, 12:24 AM
Give me one that was really artful, maybe something about the way it was filmed or acted or written changed the way films were done from then on.

Or maybe the film isn't even that good, but there is a character in it that was really outstanding, or an actor you've never seen again -- but they really wow-ed you.

DEEP THROAT >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> :kiss: ............... :lol:

46zilzal
10-05-2006, 12:30 AM
a very informative show about the AIDS epidemic with a good ensemble cast The Band Played On.

Gives one a new insight into this disease process and the epidemiology of it.

46zilzal
10-05-2006, 12:37 AM
The Boys from Brazil about the cloning of Adolf Hitler with Gregory Peck going against character as Josef Mengele.

46zilzal
10-05-2006, 12:55 AM
visually stunning and thought provoking, is the first of a series
Koyaanisqatsi (1982)
The film is the first in the Qatsi trilogy of films, including the films 1988's Powaqqatsi and 2002's Naqoyqatsi. The trilogy depicts different aspects of man and technology.

Also check out three movies made for the celebration of France's 200th birthday called simply Red, White and Blue, but you must watch them in the order Blue, White Red to have them make sense as in the last one, elements of the first two show up.

dav4463
10-05-2006, 01:04 AM
The Red Violin. I did not think I would like it. I watched it and it became one of my favorite movies and I'm usually a guy who only goes for comedies like Vacation, Caddyshack, American Pie or horror like Chainsaw Massacre, Halloween, etc.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120802/

Dan Montilion
10-05-2006, 01:25 AM
Vanishing Point (1971)

The Final Countdown (1980)

46zilzal
10-05-2006, 01:35 AM
Steve McQueen fest
The Hunter (1980)

Tom Horn (1980)

Junior Bonner (1972) .... Junior 'JR' Bonner little known one that is one of my all time favorites.

Bullitt (1968)

The Thomas Crown Affair 1000 times better than the remake.

Dave Schwartz
10-05-2006, 01:47 AM
After you get done with those, try these:

Farewell to the King
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097334/

Outrage!
http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0091709/

Fearless
http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0106881/

46zilzal
10-05-2006, 01:53 AM
Mumford about a guy who opens a very sucessful psychology practice but has NO training.

46zilzal
10-05-2006, 02:09 AM
a movie that Clark Gable tried to buy and destroy all prints actually lead to a new phrase in films "Well eveyone has his Parnell," meaning eveyone had a flop.

TOTALLY out of character as a effeminate snuff sniffing fop, it was a challenge to his overtly male character, and even though he played the part correctly, NO ONE could accept this and it bombed big time.

If you can find this one, ANYWHERE I would be very surprised.

46zilzal
10-05-2006, 02:14 AM
Saratoga about the track of the same name with Gable. Jean Harlow DIED during the filming and it was almost canned but they found a way to shoot around her from the back or with binoculars up to a double's face.

JustRalph
10-05-2006, 06:30 AM
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00008OM23.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

The Judge
10-05-2006, 07:16 AM
The King of Hearts (French WW11 the asylum takes over a town)
A Soldiers Story (Army Who Done It)
All Charlie Chan Movies
All Thin Man Movies

chickenhead
10-05-2006, 09:49 AM
great stuff!

Hosshead
10-05-2006, 10:19 AM
The Passenger (1975)- Jack Nicholson, Directed by Antonioni

Just released on DVD. With an added treat.
The entire movie is shown again with Jack Nicholson narrating how it was directed and shot.
If you rent the DVD, be sure to watch the narrated version.
This "extra" should be shown in film schools.

"A fatalistic tale of identity, destiny, coincidence, existential malaise, and the boundaries between the real and the imagined."

"The Passenger is one of the most fascinating film odysseys of the 1970s. I think someone invented the word cinema for films like this."

"Antonioni's is a bleak, existential take on life, but...the sheer artistry of the director's technique make[s] for an exhilarating film experience."

"Even if one new person is turned on to the works of this brilliant filmmaker, then this film's long, strange trip will have been worth it."

"A fascinating artifact of the last gasp of a kind of international cinema that more or less ended the same year this came out."

"A creator of lonely worlds, Mr. Antonioni painted one of his most vivid portraits of isolation with The Passenger."

Dallas Morning News - Antonioni's 1975 landmark.

Rolling Stone-The Passenger has lost none of its power in 30 years.

"Michelangelo Antonioni's The Passenger is more than the re-release of a great film -- it's a rare chance to see a major cinematic work, perhaps more than once, on the big screen."

San Francisco Chronicle-The Passenger is a marvel of quiet insight in many ways, not least of which is the chance to view Jack Nicholson before he became JACK NICHOLSON.

Toronto Star-- Leisurely and old-fashioned as The Passenger may be, this tour de force ending is worth the wait.

Entertainment Weekly- I admire the movie more 30 years later. I am more in sympathy with it.

Roger Ebert
Chicago Sun-Times
More Cream of the Crop

A film like few others that truly celebrates the journey itself, not the destination, and offers sights enough to behold that you feel like you've already arrived even before you've been anywhere.

toetoe
10-05-2006, 10:37 AM
I second the push for "King Of Hearts," just a great film.

"All About My Mother," by Almodovar. It has the obligatory gay-advocacy points sprinkled in everywhere (very annoying), but a MONSTER film.

"Sisters," by Brian De Palma, may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I loved it. Very nervewracking, and you get Jackie Coogan (Uncle Fester) at no extra charge.

Dave Schwartz
10-05-2006, 10:58 AM
One of the funniest of all times... Goin' South
http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0077621/

So, keep us posted on your progress, okay Chicken Man?

chickenhead
10-05-2006, 11:19 AM
One of the funniest of all times... Goin' South
http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0077621/

So, keep us posted on your progress, okay Chicken Man?

I'll get back to y'all with reviews in a few months :faint:

I've seen a fair number of these, but a bunch I've never even heard of. Good stuff.

Lefty
10-05-2006, 11:25 AM
movies today, for the most part, are a disjointed series of NOISEY special effects without a bit of story or charaterizations which would normally make the audience identify and have empathy with. Movies are truly becoming a wasteland. This year I've rented very few and I like movies.

a very good one is the original Japanese Shall We Dance.
46, WE AGREE! not on your movie but on the state of movies today.
A good old crime movie is DOUBLE INDEMNITY. Fred McMurray, Barbara Stanwyck and Edgar G Robinson.

46zilzal
10-05-2006, 11:36 AM
famous movie that John Dillinger went to see when the FBI caught him Manhattan Melodrama also with my favorite babe Myrna Loy and her later Thin Man co-star William Powell.

another, a little known John Wayne movie

The Shepherd of the Hills (1941)

bigmack
10-05-2006, 02:04 PM
Some recent offerings include:

Everything is Illuminated
Sexy Beast
Suspect Zero
Old Man
Felicia's Journey

njcurveball
10-05-2006, 02:27 PM
I would say the most underrated movie on DVD for the "horseplayer" community is titled Shade.

It has Sly Stallone, Melanie Griffith, Jamie, Foxx, Stuart Townsend, Gabrielle Byrne, and many other stars.

It is set in the poker world, but the twists and turns are excellent. The guy who wrote the script is a magician and with the card angle, they even have a sequence in the beginning of magicians doing some amazing card tricks.

Check it out, you may just buy it after seeing it.

best to you,
Jim

bigmack
10-05-2006, 02:33 PM
By the way Chickhead - I was a mem with Netflix since it's inception and they are really bad about sending out titles if you're a "quick ship" back and they've been sued by many members because of this practice. Try and reach them by phone sometime or even send them an email - GL getting a response.

I've gone with Blockbuster and have been happy. Comparable pricing for both.

As you may or may not be aware burning DVD's for your own personal use is copasetic. Burners are laughably inexpensive and blanks are pennies. When I get DVD's I burn them the same day and put them in the collection and mail em back the same day. I've been doing this for years and my DVD collection is what you might call, deep.

The best software to burn, and it's free is: http://www.dvdshrink.org/what.html

Suff
10-05-2006, 02:39 PM
Give me some good movies I might not have heard of, or that I missed for whatever reason.

have you seen a flick by the name of Glenngarry Glen Ross?

A lot of people have'nt, but when they see the cast they're shocked they have never even heard of it.

Al Pacino, Jack lemmon, Ed Harris, Alan Arkin, Alec Baldwin & Kevin Spacey.

Short movie based on David Mamet play. Comedy-Drama

chickenhead
10-05-2006, 02:41 PM
have you seen a flick by the name of Glenngarry Glen Ross?

One of my favs. I like Mamet's stuff

Suff
10-05-2006, 02:42 PM
One of my favs. I like Mamet's stuff

I used to manage sales guys and I'd use that movie as a training tool....:lol:

Dave Schwartz
10-05-2006, 02:49 PM
There is just no accounting for taste, is there?

I put that movie (Glenngarry Glen Ross) into the same class as the current genre of Bill Murray-movies (i.e. Lost in Translation, Broken Flowers): Everyone else seems to like them and they put me to sleep.

Which reminds me of this one that has its own cult following: (The key word here is "Keyser Soze.")

The Usual Suspects
http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0114814/

bigmack
10-05-2006, 03:00 PM
There is just no accounting for taste, is there?

I put that movie (Glenngarry Glen Ross) into the same class as the current genre of Bill Murray-movies (i.e. Lost in Translation, Broken Flowers):
Shelly "The Machine" Levine played by JLemmon in a class with Broken Flowers?

Mamet has been up and down over the years but GGRoss was an absolute masterpiece. The dialogue with Richy Roma in the restaurant is enough to clinch the film for me.

I guess what I'm saying Dave is, would you go to lunch, will you please go to lunch?

46zilzal
10-05-2006, 03:11 PM
Glengarry Glenross is in the same class as My Dinner with Andre. PURE CRAP.

Reminds me of the "con" that record companies used to promote using all manner of "hidden symbolism" with a mish mash of items on the cover of an L.P. record. It was crap too.

JWBurnie
10-05-2006, 03:23 PM
Great movie, for the fight fan.

A supercharged bloodfest for mixed martial arts fight fans, but of more dubious merit as a documentary, The Smashing Machine is a blurry, noncommittal portrait of would-be American warrior Mark Kerr, a soft-spoken drug addict who performs astonishing acts of violence for big money. A former wrestler turned extreme fighter, Kerr proves a contradictory subject--a boyish, quietly restless man who resorts to no-hold-barred savagery in the ring--in this shameless, often nauseating HBO project. Over several months, director John Hyams (NYPD Blue) captures Kerr's seemingly unstoppable parade of victory in the U.S. and Japan. He also reflects the decay in Kerr's private life and highlights a dramatic turn in his fortunes after Kerr loses an important MMA match to a Russian brawler. Along the way, we meet Kerr's trainer, Mark Coleman, whose own destiny takes on ironic, unexpected importance in the end. --Tom Keogh

Dan Montilion
10-05-2006, 06:29 PM
Glengarry Glenross is in the same class as My Dinner with Andre. PURE CRAP.

Reminds me of the "con" that record companies used to promote using all manner of "hidden symbolism" with a mish mash of items on the cover of an L.P. record. It was crap too.
PURE CRAP? Who is in that?

GameTheory
10-05-2006, 06:31 PM
Glengarry Glen Ross -- love it. Al Pacino has never been better. How anyone could be bored with it is beyond me.

Chickenhead -- what movies do you like? I could easily list 100's of movies I like, but if you give me some idea of your taste I'll tailor my recommendations...

bigmack
10-05-2006, 06:50 PM
Glengarry Glen Ross -- love it. Al Pacino has never been better. How anyone could be bored with it is beyond me.
Ya know I have friends that don't care for it and I never understood why. It's shot pretty dark and the suject matter is pretty dark so I think for many it just becomes kind of a "downer". The writing is impecable. In fact, they rehearsed for weeks with the insistance of Mamet that they follow each word to a T.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErN6vE0nYdE
(Glengarry Clip)

GameT - Have you seen the Russian shot Everything is Illuminated directed by Liev Schreiber or the Korean offering Old Boy directed by Chan-wook Park?

chickenhead
10-05-2006, 06:52 PM

Chickenhead -- what movies do you like? I could easily list 100's of movies I like, but if you give me some idea of your taste I'll tailor my recommendations...

I've got diverse tastes, most any genres.

Love:
Good Westerns (Ford Peckinpaw etc)
Kurosowa
Young Kate Hepburn
Old Betty Davis (she freaks me out!)

Like:
Capra
Hitchcock
some Jarmusch is interesting

I've almost always liked films adapted from stage, Big Kahuna, GGGR etc.

I also like Malicks stuff, not that they are all good movies, but something about the way he does them is mesmerizing to me, especially Days of Heaven.

Dave Schwartz
10-05-2006, 06:54 PM
I guess what I'm saying Dave is, would you go to lunch, will you please go to lunch?

Apparently, as the saying goes, "Been there, done that" (perhaps a few times too many - but I am working on it.)

Seriously, that is why I stated it the way I did. Almost everyone I talk to says the same thing about GGGR.

Hey, I liked Reservoir Dogs more and that was just senseless violence.

Different opinions is what makes the world go round. (and round and round and round.)

Dave

Tom
10-05-2006, 06:56 PM
Kentucky Fried Movie (you'll die laughing)
Plan 9 From Outerspace
The Gods Must be Crazy

Secretariat
10-05-2006, 06:58 PM
Bob Roberts - funny
Fahrenheit 911
Why We Fight

Tom
10-05-2006, 07:30 PM
Reefer Madness - orignal version, B&W
The Lost Weekend
Days of Wine and Roses

finfan
10-05-2006, 10:12 PM
CH

I don't know if you like disturbing movies, but this one is extremely disturbing.

Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer

I usually forget most movies 10 minutes after I've seen them, but I still remember this one 16 years later. Read Roger Ebert's review before deciding to rent it.

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/19900914/REVIEWS/9140301/1023

BTW Everything Is Illuminated is a great movie. Thoroughly enjoyable.

Bala
10-05-2006, 10:29 PM
The top 15 movie mistakes (with photo evidence)
http://www.jokaroo.com/funnypictures/top_15_movie_mistakes.html

Tom
10-05-2006, 10:36 PM
Thanks, Finfan...sounds like a good one.:eek:

Tom
10-05-2006, 10:42 PM
I remember the old Lone Ranger TV show - one of the Indians was wearing a wristwatch.

Pace Cap'n
10-05-2006, 11:22 PM
Please excuse the thread drift--this is for Tom...

Lone Ranger: "I don't like the sound of those drums."

Tonto: "That's not their regular drummer."

betchatoo
10-06-2006, 09:08 AM
Paul Newman as Rocky Graziano in "Somebody Up There likes Me." Also as Billy the Kid in, "The Left Handed Gun."

Peter O'Toole in one of the funniest movies ever, "My Favorite Year," and in a truly bizarre, dark comedy, "The Ruling Class."

Julie Andrews, William Holden, Richard Mulligan, Robert Preston and a great cast in "S.O.B." (the movie that shows Julie Andrew's tits).

And speaking of Robert Preston, "The Last Starfighter."

JPinMaryland
10-06-2006, 09:41 AM
Whatever you do dont rent RObert Altman's: Nashville. :sleeping:

The Judge
10-06-2006, 09:42 AM
Loved Glengarry Glen Ross. Another movie I liked that didn't get alot of play was Stickman or Stickmen. Nicolas Cage plays a con -man that's obsessed with cleanliness ala Monk. I think Monk got the idea from them not the other way around but I'm not 100% sure.

betchatoo
10-06-2006, 09:45 AM
Loved Glengarry Glen Ross. Another movie I liked that didn't get alot of play was Stickman or Stickmen. Nicolas Cage plays a con -man that's obsessed with cleanliness ala Monk. I think Monk got the idea from them not the other way around but I'm not 100% sure.

And speaking of con-men, George C Scott in "The Flim Flam Man."

Suff
10-06-2006, 10:09 AM
How about Pink Flamingo's? Seen that? It was the Midnight Movie at the Harvard Square Cinema for the longest time.

Strange movie, and at midnight in Harvard Square the audience would be just as strange. Fun stop on the party train back in the day....as they say.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069089/

I've seen it 5 or 10 times....:ThmbUp:

headhawg
10-06-2006, 10:15 AM
Loved Glengarry Glen Ross. Another movie I liked that didn't get alot of play was Stickman or Stickmen. Nicolas Cage plays a con -man that's obsessed with cleanliness ala Monk. I think Monk got the idea from them not the other way around but I'm not 100% sure.It's called Matchstick Men and I liked it as well.

If you haven't seen it I recommend "Oh Brother, Where Art Thou" with George Clooney and John Turturro.

Dave Schwartz
10-06-2006, 10:51 AM
JPin,

Whatever you do dont rent RObert Altman's: Nashville.

But of course, do rent The Player!

Dave

DJofSD
10-06-2006, 10:58 AM
I'll cast another vote for "The King of Hearts".

The version of "Carmen" that has Paco de Lucio.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned "Repo Man".

And a off-the-wall scifi "Quiet Earth".

"Zorba the Greek", "Lawrence of Arabia", both with Anthony Quinn.

Lefty
10-06-2006, 11:30 AM
My fav Movie:Dr Strangelove.
Another one I saw in the 80's that was bizzarre and funny(least it was bizzarre in the 80's)Eating Raoul.
And anything that Bogart leads in is great.

Red Knave
10-06-2006, 12:10 PM
Add "The Man Who Would Be King" to the list.

bigmack
10-06-2006, 05:07 PM
Bob Roberts - funny Fahrenheit 911 Why We Fight
Sec – Tim Robbins – Michael Moore and Eugene Jarecki – What, no Bedtime for Bonzo?
Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer
A tad macabre huh F2? I remember reading the John Wayne Gacy biography years ago and I'm still frightened of clowns
I'm surprised no one has mentioned "Repo Man".
If you liked Repo you might like Eating Raoul
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNdoduCP4wI (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNdoduCP4wI)
(Repo Clip)
How about Pink Flamingo's?
The trailer says it all
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHaYqdQNJ8A (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHaYqdQNJ8A)

Dan Montilion
10-06-2006, 06:25 PM
Matewan (1987)

Tom
10-06-2006, 07:57 PM
The Omega Man (Charleton Heston)
House of Dark Shadows

betchatoo
10-07-2006, 06:01 AM
"The Brother From Another Planet"

finfan
10-07-2006, 06:14 AM