PDA

View Full Version : JC Gold Cup Analysis...

Bubbles
09-26-2002, 07:13 PM
Hey all...

The Jockey Club Gold Cup is New York's springboard for the Breeders Cup Classic. This year, four of the eight entrants are being pointed towards Arlington Park. Here is a horse-by-horse analysis of the 84th Jockey Club Gold Cup...

1) Harlan's Holiday-This talented three-year-old will, most likely, skip this race in favor of the Pegasus Handicap at the Meadowlands. This is probably a wise move, as this race doesn't figure to set up for his late-running style.

2) Puzzlement-Lived up to his name in the Jerome, when he flopped as the 7/5 favorite. While this Allen Jerkins trainee is talented, he, like a few other horses in this race, figures to be in a bit over his head in this race; pass, but look for him in the stretch.

3) Abreeze-He's being wheeled back on two week's rest in here, but that shouldn't affect him here. Not only does he love off-tracks (Forecast calls for rain all weekend.), but he appears to be the only early speed in this race. While he's at a slight class disadvantage, you may want to put him in exotics, as he may be able to steal it.

4) Milwaukee Brew-Considered one of California's top handicap horses in the spring. He won the Santa Anita Handicap, and has run third in his last two starts. However, those thirds were at this distance, and you have to wonder if he can hang with the likes of Momentum and Came Home. However, he's worked well for this race, and Desormeaux has traveled up to ride him, all of which gives him something of a shot.

5) Evening Attire-One of the most underrated horses in the country. He ran down Abreeze in his last start, the Saratoga Breeders Cup, and has beaten the likes of Balto Star and Street Cry before. However, Abreeze appears to be the only early speed in this race, and how will his rally compare to Repent's and Lido Palace's? Too many question marks for me, but you may see him in the Cigar Mile or something later on this year.

6) Repent-Deserves a bunch of credit for his Travers effort, and this may prove to be a similar race. He made up ten lengths in the Midsummer Derby, which also looks good. Lido Palace will have to circle this rival to win, and this may prove to be a tough task; scary.

7) Nothing Flat-Another stone closer. Made up thirteen lengths to be third in the Travers, and didn't run a bad race in the KY Cup. However, Pure Prize is a long way from Lido Palace, and he appears to be in over his head here.

8) Lido Palace-The top horse in the east right now (Which really isn't saying much.). Won his second straight Woodward a few weeks ago, and while his margin of victory wasn't great, his time was (1:47 3/5). The post is a con, but Belmont has been supporting middle-of-the-track, last-gasp rallies, which is a plus. There are a few drawbacks, but he's my top pick, and should win by two or three.

I see it: 8-3-Dead heat w/ 4 and 6

Bubbles
09-28-2002, 06:42 PM
Too many question marks...Good grief!

Evening Attire picked a handy time to run the race of his life, didn't he? Wouldn't be surprised to see him in the Classic in a few weeks.

Repent just stopped and stopped badly. God knows what in the name of a dark horse happened to him.

It looks like Lido Palace has reached the end of the line. I shouldah known after the Woodward, but a few factors looked good.

Harlan's Holiday surprised me twice. He first stunned me by being in the race to begin with, and he actually didn't run a bad race. While he's more competitive at eight or nine furlongs, expect to see him at Arlington.

Any other thoughts or opinions?