PDA

View Full Version : selection guidelines/handicapping skills/personality traits

1st time lasix
10-03-2006, 12:34 PM
In my humble opinion.....I believe that intelligent, successful players are very good at four things: 1) the are very good at horse selection. They understand the dynamics of early pace, appropriate class, benefits of speed, distance, breeding, trainer intent, bias and surface on the potential outcomes of a particular race. 2} they are very good at ticket structure. Comparing the tote odds to their own probabilities of the potential outcomes....figuring where the potential overlay prices may be and putting a win/exacta/trifecta or pick 3/ 4 ticket together to take advantage of their opinion and 3) they have the dicipline to pass races where their opinions are not strong, the odds appear about right, fields are small or they sense that something in the mix is just not right. 4] they use money management and diciplined bankroll skills. Either $preading out if necessary or hammering a single pool if appropriate Of these characteristics.....it seems that horse selection garners most of the attention by the betting crowd at the venues. Exotic ticket stucture, proper money management and the internal dicipline to pass particular races is given less attention. It is a wonderful day when an individual uses the proper approach and is rewarded with some racing luck. $$$$

CBedo
10-03-2006, 12:52 PM
Only thing I'd add is that successfuly horse players are almost always very good at record keeping as well.

toetoe
10-04-2006, 12:11 AM
3) is the hardest for me, in that I too often play the wrong type of bet as a stab, when the win price on the pick is too low.
Also, I never know when to go nuts involving a horse in a pending serial wager, and when to just wait it out. The pick-threes and -fours are the sources of almost all my cashings. Exactas I'll do, but efficient structuring of trifectas and stupidfectas is a real art.

twindouble
10-04-2006, 08:50 AM
In my humble opinion.....I believe that intelligent, successful players are very good at four things: 1) the are very good at horse selection. They understand the dynamics of early pace, appropriate class, benefits of speed, distance, breeding, trainer intent, bias and surface on the potential outcomes of a particular race. 2} they are very good at ticket structure. Comparing the tote odds to their own probabilities of the potential outcomes....figuring where the potential overlay prices may be and putting a win/exacta/trifecta or pick 3/ 4 ticket together to take advantage of their opinion and 3) they have the dicipline to pass races where their opinions are not strong, the odds appear about right, fields are small or they sense that something in the mix is just not right. 4] they use money management and diciplined bankroll skills. Either $preading out if necessary or hammering a single pool if appropriate Of these characteristics.....it seems that horse selection garners most of the attention by the betting crowd at the venues. Exotic ticket stucture, proper money management and the internal dicipline to pass particular races is given less attention. It is a wonderful day when an individual uses the proper approach and is rewarded with some racing luck. $$$$

Who ever that guy is he should run for president, we will never be in dept. :D

T.D.

twindouble
10-08-2006, 04:49 AM
1st time lasix;

It really bugs me when a thread goes dead when I'm joking around, sorry about that.

The fact of the matter is, I have no argument with your post, it was a good one.

Good luck,

T.D.