PDA

View Full Version : How good are the Bears?

betchatoo
10-02-2006, 08:45 AM
Last night the Chicago Bears completely dismantled the Seahawks.

There are two things to consider with this. First, the Seahawks were without their MVP, Shaun Alexander. Secondly, they are not the team on the road that they are at home.

Still, they are the defending NFC champs and just a little luck (or a better Referee, depending on your point of view) from being Super Bowl champs. And the Bears made them look like Ball State. The Chicago defensive line is playing as well as anybody's and it looks like Rex Grossman has grown up into a quarterback.

Go Bears!!!! :jump: :jump:

ghostyapper
10-02-2006, 09:24 AM
With the way their offense is running, they will no doubt get the 1 seed in the nfc.

However their passing game will hit a speed bump in january in chicago. Since they are not the same running team they were last year, I still think they could get picked off in the playoffs.

Valuist
10-02-2006, 09:41 AM
With the way their offense is running, they will no doubt get the 1 seed in the nfc.

However their passing game will hit a speed bump in january in chicago. Since they are not the same running team they were last year, I still think they could get picked off in the playoffs.

Most teams passing games hit speed bumps in January, unless they are playing in a dome or 70 degree weather. That's why its so important to be able to run the ball, and stop the run. I don't think either the Colts or Bengals are going to win the Super Bowl. Both are lousy against the run.

sq764
10-02-2006, 09:58 AM
Last night the Chicago Bears completely dismantled the Seahawks.

There are two things to consider with this. First, the Seahawks were without their MVP, Shaun Alexander. Secondly, they are not the team on the road that they are at home.

Still, they are the defending NFC champs and just a little luck (or a better Referee, depending on your point of view) from being Super Bowl champs. And the Bears made them look like Ball State. The Chicago defensive line is playing as well as anybody's and it looks like Rex Grossman has grown up into a quarterback.

Go Bears!!!! :jump: :jump:
I think their defense looks fantastic so far.. And they have a nice running back.. I think the big question mark is what will Grossman do in a pressure game or a pressure spot.

This team kind of reminds me of the Ravens superbowl team.. Great defense and a QB that needs to just not blow the game

BetHorses!
10-03-2006, 07:30 AM
Bear, Pats, Bengals top 3 at moment...IMO

Valuist
10-03-2006, 09:53 AM
After the Bears, I think you can make a case for a number of teams for 2-5. At one point, it looked like the Bengals but I don't like what I've seen out of them the past 2 weeks. I watched a replay of the game at Pitt and they should've lost that one. The Steelers marched up and down the field but blew 2 scoring opps with INTs in the end zone. And they made Maroney look like an All-Pro. They can't defend the run. Even w/one loss, I think the Chargers are the second best team. It was on the road to another unbeaten team and they led most of the game and may have been done in by the ultra conservative Marty S.

rastajenk
10-03-2006, 10:16 AM
As a long-time Bengal loyalist, I can say there's much to worry about in The Jungle. Injuries and suspensions have really hurt the defense. At one point, about three weeks into the pre-season, I was pleasantly surprised at how much defensive depth the Bengals would finally begin a season with, that the final cuts would involve some decent players for once. I don't know now if that was just an illusion, but the defense now is much different that the one that beat Kansas City in Week One.

But the real reason for the failings of the D is the failings of the O to maintain drives, win some good field position, and keep the other teams' D on the field. The O-line hasn't protected Palmer well at all, and sometimes his decision-making hasn't been sharp. The notion that the Defense creates a lot of turnovers is based on the other teams' having to play catch-up and getting out of their own game plans, but if the Offense isn't doing it's job, the Defense isn't well-suited for stopping a grinder kind of attack. Next three are against Tampa, Carolina, and Atlanta...grinders if ever there were.

sq764
10-03-2006, 10:19 AM
After the Bears, I think you can make a case for a number of teams for 2-5. At one point, it looked like the Bengals but I don't like what I've seen out of them the past 2 weeks. I watched a replay of the game at Pitt and they should've lost that one. The Steelers marched up and down the field but blew 2 scoring opps with INTs in the end zone. And they made Maroney look like an All-Pro. They can't defend the run. Even w/one loss, I think the Chargers are the second best team. It was on the road to another unbeaten team and they led most of the game and may have been done in by the ultra conservative Marty S.
Agreed, lots of even teams out there.. I would like to throw the Eagles in there as a top NFC team at 3-1.. However, they have played 3 of the worst NFL teams I have seen in the past 10 years (Green Bay, San Fran, Houston).. This Sunday against Dallas should be a good measuring stick.

I think Carolina has been massively disappointing.. And when Alexander comes back, if healthy, Seattle could still be the team to beat

Valuist
10-03-2006, 11:04 AM
Agreed, lots of even teams out there.. I would like to throw the Eagles in there as a top NFC team at 3-1.. However, they have played 3 of the worst NFL teams I have seen in the past 10 years (Green Bay, San Fran, Houston).. This Sunday against Dallas should be a good measuring stick.

I think Carolina has been massively disappointing.. And when Alexander comes back, if healthy, Seattle could still be the team to beat

The Eagles should be 4-0. They were like a speed horse who set a blazing pace and just got nailed at the wire by the Giants. But I see Stallworth and Brown both hurt. I guess it doesn't matter who McNabb throws to; other than 1 1/2 years w/TO, he's never had marquee receivers yet puts up big numbers. They also have to have secondary concerns; like you said against the Giants, they sack Eli 8 times and he throws for over 350? I think they have to be concerned when they go up against top flight QBs......but there's not too many in the NFC.

Carolina is all about Steve Smith. When he's been out, they have no speed to stretch the defense. With him in, it opens up everything. That 3 point win vs the Saints was deceptive. It was an 11 pt lead and the Saints backdoored late for the cover.

ponyplayerdotca
10-03-2006, 12:46 PM
PANTHERS 21 SAINTS 18

Back door? Not true Valuist. It was 14-10 inside the 2 min. warning. New Orleans was out of timeouts and it was 3rd and 7.

They had to stack the box to stop the run and force a punt (and time would have kept ticking). If the Panthers got a first down, they could have kneeled down and the game would have been over at 14-10.

Foster broke the all or nothing charge for a TD. That 11-pt. lead was a false one based on how the game was played (not a true indication of Carolina's dominance on the day).

The Panthers can't score points this year (Smith out hurt them until this Sunday, but he's still not 100%). The Saints are a good team, and the Panthers are not as good as everyone thinks.

The 14-10 score would have been a true reflection of how both teams played, IMO.

ponyplayerdotca
10-03-2006, 12:51 PM
Chicago absolutely throttled the entire Seattle offense. And they made their D look confused and beatable. Did you see how the Seahawks quit in the 2nd half? The BEARS punished them for all 60 minutes, unlike how Seattle let the Giants save some face late in week 3.

The Seahawks are on the way down, with or without Alexander. And now that they have lost the tiebreaker for home field to the Bears, they won't be able to claim safe haven in that windblown coffee-house of a stadium they have up in the Northwest.

Chicago may not be the best team when all is said and done. But they are #1 on both sides of the ball right now after that nationally televised explosion on Sunday night.

The Colts are still a shaky "best" in the AFC for now, but they are on the down slope too, IMO.

sq764
10-03-2006, 01:00 PM
Chicago absolutely throttled the entire Seattle offense. And they made their D look confused and beatable. Did you see how the Seahawks quit in the 2nd half? The BEARS punished them for all 60 minutes, unlike how Seattle let the Giants save some face late in week 3.

The Seahawks are on the way down, with or without Alexander. And now that they have lost the tiebreaker for home field to the Bears, they won't be able to claim safe haven in that windblown coffee-house of a stadium they have up in the Northwest.

Chicago may not be the best team when all is said and done. But they are #1 on both sides of the ball right now after that nationally televised explosion on Sunday night.

The Colts are still a shaky "best" in the AFC for now, but they are on the down slope too, IMO.
I could see Chicago being a very tough place to play in January during the playoffs.. If they can clinch home field, they have a big shot..

Valuist
10-03-2006, 05:03 PM

The Colts have 2 big problems: they can't stop the run and they aren't much better at running the ball. Those are huge problems come January. I know they think getting Corey Simon back will solve all the run D problems but that remains to be seen. And Addai could still develop, being a rookie but the jury is out. Manning will take heat once they lose but this is NOT his fault.

ghostyapper
10-03-2006, 06:41 PM
Colts will not lose in the playoffs because they can't run or stop the run. They will lose in the playoffs for the same reason they always do, Peyton Manning.

Valuist
10-03-2006, 08:23 PM
Colts will not lose in the playoffs because they can't run or stop the run. They will lose in the playoffs for the same reason they always do, Peyton Manning.

If you believe that, you don't know football.

ghostyapper
10-03-2006, 10:23 PM
If you believe that, you don't know football.

You're right I guess his 4 picks against NE in 2003, his absolutely gutless performance against NE in 2004, and another gutless performance last year against the steelers doesn't hold any water.

toetoe
10-04-2006, 12:05 AM
Yapper,

You're a bit too absolute, dont you think? Can't a guy be generally very good, have some tough times, maintain his general goodness and be gutful at all times? :confused:

As to Da Bears, I've always liked Grossman. Not sure why it took him this long to really click, but it seems he has arrived.

Valuist
10-04-2006, 09:44 AM
You're right I guess his 4 picks against NE in 2003, his absolutely gutless performance against NE in 2004, and another gutless performance last year against the steelers doesn't hold any water.

Maybe the first two were on him but last year wasn't. The defense couldn't stop the Steelers in the first quarter. The kicker shanked a very makeable FG that should've tied the game up. This year they have a weak running game and the defense has taken several steps back. I think their window has closed.

ghostyapper
10-04-2006, 11:13 AM
Maybe the first two were on him but last year wasn't. The defense couldn't stop the Steelers in the first quarter. The kicker shanked a very makeable FG that should've tied the game up. This year they have a weak running game and the defense has taken several steps back. I think their window has closed.

Sorry I disagree about last year. It wasn't as much his fault as the previous 2 years but if manning played better they win the game.

Last year, more than any other, showed the difference between manning and brady. Brady was getting rocked but was still stepping up and making his throws, while manning would just tuck the ball and wait to be sacked. Even on that 4th down play when the steelers blitzed. I know he had no time but who tucks the ball and waits to be sacked on 4th down?

headhawg
10-04-2006, 11:54 AM
As to Da Bears, I've always liked Grossman. Not sure why it took him this long to really click, but it seems he has arrived.Getting this thread back to Da Bears, Grossman only played in 11 games his first three years due to injury. And he did not look sharp this preseason. But I think that the reasons he is clicking now is that defenses are still non-believers and are still thinking run first, and that O-line -- esp the pass blocking -- has been incredible. I haven't seen all the NFL teams, but they have to be in the top three or four.

I haven't jumped on the Bears in the Superbowl bandwagon yet but they absolutely dismantled Seattle, and Minnesota is a pretty good team that they beat, better than most people thought they'd be. They shouldn't have a big test until November when they play the East Coast teams. This week, Buffalo may challenge them on defense, but Losman is going to look like Lost-man against the Bears D.

Valuist
10-04-2006, 01:04 PM
I don't know if Buffalo can win but I definitely think they can keep it close. The double digits look tempting. I think people don't realize how close Buffalo is to being 4-0 and the Bears are off a huge statement game win. This could be a letdown situation, esp. when you know Jauron has been pointing for this game. The Bills led the Patriots virtually the entire game and lost on a safety; they beat the Jets up and down on the line of scrimmage, outgaining them by 200 plus yards but were minus 3 in turnovers, which made the difference. One concern for the Bears is they have been ineffective running the ball; they do have virtually everyone back from last year when they were at least decent on the ground so potentially it should come around.

Headhawg-

Were do you get those little factoids?

headhawg
10-04-2006, 01:32 PM
Were do you get those little factoids?For a writing project I was doing I needed to find useless trivia and came upon several sites in a Google search. I also saw that AskMen.com uses many of the same ones so I just get it from them usually.

The added comments are mine. :)

BetHorses!
10-04-2006, 09:42 PM
I don't know if Buffalo can win but I definitely think they can keep it close. The double digits look tempting.

I made Bears -9 and already took +11.

Game currently at 10

skate
10-05-2006, 05:02 PM
how good do the bears look?

i say, very very very good.
the line, both offense and defense, will carry.

field goals will be the question mark.

i thinkith