PDA

View Full Version : Where to go at Hollywood Park?

pjbc77
09-30-2006, 04:20 PM
Going to be in CA over Thanksgiving and thinking about taking a trip to Hollywood Park that Friday. I have never been, and would appreciate any tips on where to go for the best seats, etc. My friend's wife may be joining us, so if there's someplace to sit and eat, etc. a little nicer than the grandstand, that would be good too. Thanks!

Big Bill
09-30-2006, 05:23 PM
pjbc77,

Whenever I made business trips to L.A. (and that was many years ago), I would always find a way to get out to Hollywood Park either for the thoroughbreds or for harness racing at night. The track is not in the best area of L.A., and I was always warned went I went to the track at night to be very careful as many patrons had been robbed in the parking lot.

Don't think they even have harness racing there anymore. If you are going for the runners in the daytime you should have no problem like the one I mentioned above. It was a nice track then and I think it has been improved since. Enjoy and have lots of winners.

Big Bill

46zilzal
09-30-2006, 06:20 PM
while there you should consider popping down the 605 freeway to Los Alamitos to see the Q-horses. Runs Friday Sat Sunday evenings all year long.

JustRalph
09-30-2006, 06:24 PM
spend a few bucks..........call ahead and get reservations at a restaurant upstairs......... do the valet parking thing for ten bucks....... it keeps you from getting robbed in the lot.

Now, keep your doors locked once you hit the street. And if it will be a work day, make sure you go at least two hours before post time. The 405 is the worst freeway in the world at rush hour.

pjbc77
09-30-2006, 07:03 PM
I was planning on going the day after Thanksgiving. Do they have Friday night racing during the Fall meet? Would they have it the day after Thanksgiving?

Indulto
09-30-2006, 11:42 PM
spend a few bucks..........call ahead and get reservations at a restaurant upstairs......... do the valet parking thing for ten bucks....... it keeps you from getting robbed in the lot.

Now, keep your doors locked once you hit the street. And if it will be a work day, make sure you go at least two hours before post time. The 405 is the worst freeway in the world at rush hour.I was planning on going the day after Thanksgiving. Do they have Friday night racing during the Fall meet? Would they have it the day after Thanksgiving?P7,
Best to call Hollywood Park re: their Fri. night schedule. Their website has phone # or use switchboard.com.

JR's suggestion re: the restaurant is right on. Great view of the races during the daytime, and you always want to go to the clubhouse -- better still, Turf Club. The only reason to go into the grandstand is to see the horses and their connections in the saddling area behind it.

I would modify JR's statement re: the 405 to say that traffic only moves while people are at work or asleep, e.g, 10:00 AM - 3:30 PM and 9:00 PM - 6:00 AM, but be certain to heed his warnings re: safety -- especially at night.

Stuff seems to happen there 24/7, but it's still a place to have a good time and enjoy high-quality racing on weekends and holidays. You just have to be aware of what's happening around you and not let your guard down. Inglewood is NOT Arcadia!

rrbauer
10-02-2006, 04:02 AM
Going to be in CA over Thanksgiving and thinking about taking a trip to Hollywood Park that Friday. I have never been, and would appreciate any tips on where to go for the best seats, etc. My friend's wife may be joining us, so if there's someplace to sit and eat, etc. a little nicer than the grandstand, that would be good too. Thanks!

The Friday after T'giving has been a daytime venue in the past. I would recommend the upper Clubhouse restaurant. It's the same food as they serve in the turf club, in fact, the clubhouse and turf club trackside seating are right next to each other. Phone for reservations used to be 310-419-1601 (haven't been there in a couple years)--you would have to call earlier in that week--I would reserve a table for 4 even if you only have 2 people just to get a bigger table. Maitre'De in the Clubhouse restaurant is "Jimmy". Since this is a one-time shot for you, I would recommend the valet parking too.

Someone has recommended Los Al. It is a very nice evening venue if you go to the Vessels Club ($10 per). They have trackside tables and tables inside (non-smoking) too. They rotate the Maitre'De schedule but usually on weekend nights, "Sergio" is the man to see. If you want a good table you will need a reservation. Preferred parking used to be $3.
www.losalamitos.com for info.